IATF - Internal Audit 3 year span

I am trying to wear a hat that jumps starts a new QMS plan for my work, I was asked to establish a audit schedule that complies with IATF and ISO standards so far I have what is mandatory but I am having a hard time understanding the different audits and what ones I am suppose to present in a 3 year audit plan. I see there are QMS and PROCESS audits... I just dont know what ones would be audited when.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Johnny Quality

Quite Involved in Discussions
Mosey,

For IATF 16949 you do not need a 3 year audit plan BUT you must audit all system processes and manufacturing processes at least once per 3 year certification cycle.

For example, if you in an organization that does injection moulding and painting under the scope of its IATF 16949 certificate the organization would have to audit the moulding process at least once and the painting process at least once.

System processes would be like production planning, quality assurance, plant maintenance, training, logistics, things like that. They must be documented per IATF 16949 and I would hope that is already done.

When to audit is dependent on risk. Never have issues with logistics or training? Audit them once or twice per cycle or when significant changes in the process occur (new people, new steps in the process, etc). Lots of issues in production planning or root causes of customer complaints involve calibration? Audit regularly and improve.

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Admin
please remember that this is a minimum, the audits are one of your strongest tools
If there is not a basic plan how can you show you intend to audit the complete cycle!
Please also remember that the manufacturing process audits include the control plan and the FMEA and all shifts, check also that your customers do not require CQI audits for moulding, welding coating etc.
You also need product audits as per the standard.
Some customers also want LPAs

please remember that this is a minimum, the audits are one of your strongest tools
If there is not a basic plan how can you show you intend to audit the complete cycle!
Please also remember that the manufacturing process audits include the control plan and the FMEA and all shifts, check also that your customers do not require CQI audits for moulding, welding coating etc.
You also need product audits as per the standard.
Some customers also want LPAs

LPA's are done daily, I am not sure on the CQI we make transmission gears...so I am assuming just heat treat stuff would be audited in that aspect as far as special processes. We also only have ONE shift due to a downsize in our company. Also, I want to know how to schedule all audits and processes as necessary and to get a little more idea as the minimum requirement... but we wanted every three years because we went from running 40 machines down to only 6. We went from 200 employees to 20 so we are scoping down our MQP and trying to rationalize our audit schedule to fit the small staff we have, any suggestions would be great on how to accomplish a plan. I have tried looking into some training and maybe get certified but I need to present something to the Boss as far as getting us caught up from the few months that our System analyst and Quality team as diminished.

I was given the recommendation to audit my organization more frequently than the registrar audits the organization.

In the scenario where a process receives a non-conformance and they were not audited that year, it will present poorly. If you decide to audit each process once every 3 years, you should have data backing up your choice, essentially using risked based thinking for internal audit planning.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J IATF 16949 Internal Audit question - Auditor's responsibility Internal Auditing 6
S IATF 16949 Internal Audit Example IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 18
J Does anyone have an excel IATF 16949 Internal Audit checklist I could use? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
V IATF 16949 9.2.2.1 Internal Audit Program - "Process Changes" IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
Ashland78 IATF 16949 Internal Audit Checklist Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
T Example wanted - Template for internal audit IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
H Do you have to perform an full internal prior to IATF 16949 audit? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 21
F IATF 16949:2016 transition audit - Internal Audit Closures IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
A IATF 16949 - 9.2.2.1 Internal Audit Programme - looking for example IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
K No Internal Audits For Upcoming IATF Trans Audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
B IATF 16949 Cl. 9.2.2.1 - Internal audit program - Types of evidence Internal Auditing 1
D Please share your IATF 16949 Internal Audit Plan and Schedule Internal Auditing 13
P IATF 16949 - Internal Audit Frequency Requirements Internal Auditing 2
tony s TS 16949 Internal Audit Trainer Traceability to IATF General Auditing Discussions 6
J IATF CB Auditor questions Internal Auditor Competence IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 19
R IATF 16949 - Outsourcing of internal audits Internal Auditing 11
M Tips on preparing for IATF 16949 Internal Lead Auditor exam Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
M IATF 16949 7.2.3 Internal Auditor Competency - Trainer's competency Internal Auditing 7
S IATF 16949: Is "Certified" Internal Auditor mandatory? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
J IATF 16949 CAR - Internal Auditor Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
H Internal laboratory scope requirements - IATF 16949 Cl. 7.1.5.3.1 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
B Going into IATF 16949 transition without Internal Audits IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
B IATF 16949 - 7.1.5.3.1 Internal calibration laboratory requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
D IATF 16949 - Internal Auditor Training/Certification Requirements Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
C IATF 16949 Cl. - 7.2.3 Internal Auditor Competency IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
C IATF 16949:2016 Cl. 7.2.3 Internal Auditor Competency Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 39
Q IATF 16949 Cl. 7.2.3 - Internal Auditor Competency and Records IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
Q How can an Internal Auditor Trainer's Competency be Evaluated - IATF 16949 Cl. 7.2.3 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
H ISO/IATF Internal Auditor Recommendations For Manufacturer In California, USA Internal Auditing 3
P Problem with IATF 16949 Clause 7.2.3 Requirements (Internal Auditor Competency) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
B Competency of Trainer for Internal Auditor Training (IATF 16949) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
Y Auditor Findings - IATF checklist - Supplier PPAP - Internal Auditor Training ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 23
J Internal Auditor Course not an IATF Requirement ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 1
G IATF NC - Contingency Planning IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
T Justification of "Design Excluded" in IATF 16949 Design and Development of Products and Processes 5
Sidney Vianna Job Opening in the USA - IATF 16949 Lead Auditor Position Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 0
Ron Rompen IATF 16949 8.5.1.4 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
I Work Instruction Update- IATF Impact IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
P IATF 16949:2016 Letter of conformity IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
D IATF PROCESSES IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
D IATF 16949 SI 10, External non-accredited lab IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
A Control plan for IATF - example? FMEA and Control Plans 1
A IATF MSA study Type 1 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
S IATF 16949 - Summary at a glance Clause wise - changes from ISO TS IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Azaarus Help with CAPA for an IATF finding regarding inspection documentation IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
W Do Reference materials for IATF need to be 17025? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
D Special IATF audit of sub-supplier IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 18
R IATF and ASPICE level 2 Design and Development of Products and Processes 9
T IATF 16949 Recording inspection results IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
S IATF 16949 Supplier selection criteria 8.4.1.2 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2