IATF Rules for sharing production space with another company

Where can I find the IATF or ISO rules for sharing production space with another company?

Our sister company is moving into our building. We will share the production floor and office space. We also will have some shared resources. They have ISO certification and we have ISO and IATF.

I need to know if this is an issue with our IATF certification and what we have to do so we are following the guidelines. I cannot find anything in the standard or the rules. I was told during our audit last week that I need to look at the standard because there are rules that will make us have barriers with doors that separate our space. Any help is appreciated.

Johnny Quality

Quite Involved in Discussions
I was told during our audit last week that I need to look at the standard because there are rules that will make us have barriers with doors that separate our space.
TJ,

That's not because of COVID related rules, is it?

I can't see anything in the standard that requires barriers with doors to separate space. You wouldn't physically separate with barriers and doors an automotive production area and a non-automotive area if you didn't need to - the standard mentions nothing of the sort.

Who did your audit? Is it a customer requirement?

TJ,

That's not because of COVID related rules, is it?

I can't see anything in the standard that requires barriers with doors to separate space. You wouldn't physically separate with barriers and doors an automotive production area and a non-automotive area if you didn't need to - the standard mentions nothing of the sort.

Who did your audit? Is it a customer requirement?
No it is not because of Covid and I don't believe he was referring to a CSR. He said "the standard" and also said it was very specific on the rules and "it had to be a permanent barrier with a door". He just told me to look into it but didn't direct me where.

Johnny Quality

To me it sounds like this auditor is speaking cobblers...

I had a customer audit a few years ago and they told me that IATF 16949 has a requirement for quarantined parts to be in a "lockable container". Cobblers.

The standard isn't written like that anyway, the clauses for the most part say what shall be done not how it shall be done. The only clause that comes to mind that contradicts this is the clause on internal auditors where a "list" is required.

I had a customer audit a few years ago and they told me that IATF 16949 has a requirement for quarantined parts to be in a "lockable container". Cobblers.
Now that is definitely a CSR. It is part of the BIQS audit for General Motors "Scrap or Suspect parts/containers clearly segregated from other parts. Auto Reject stations with Locked reject bins, with controls on how bins are emptied to ensure all parts are reconciled"

Johnny Quality

Ahh...how I learn something new every day. Shame the part was for JLR and the customer in question has no CSR's. Looking back I don't think they even did GM work...

It's not a requirement of VDA 6.3 is it?

Greg19

Starting to get Involved
Where can I find the IATF or ISO rules for sharing production space with another company?

Our sister company is moving into our building. We will share the production floor and office space. We also will have some shared resources. They have ISO certification and we have ISO and IATF.

I need to know if this is an issue with our IATF certification and what we have to do so we are following the guidelines. I cannot find anything in the standard or the rules. I was told during our audit last week that I need to look at the standard because there are rules that will make us have barriers with doors that separate our space. Any help is appreciated.
Hi,

I think he probably refers to what IATF calls Gated Conditions or ring fencing which are in the Rules. If you lets say have both automotive and none automotive production and employees are not rotating between non-automotive and automotive ant there are physical walls between automotive and none automotive you can claim that only automotive-employees shall be included in the man day-calculation.

So if there are physical walls between you and your sister company and production employees are not mixed you will be fine.
However you should inform your CB and see if you should apply for gated condition.

Hi all,

I think TJ's company condition is similar with our company.
We are sharing our production floor and some of the manpower especially the office staffs.
Our sister company has ISO 9001 while we are IATF certified.
At the same time, our sister company is our supplier also.

So far, during CB audit, auditors never highlighted about the gated conditions or fencing rules but one of them ever told us that it was a risk to her when auditing us. At that time, she was auditing RECEIVING process at Store and she was worried as our Store are sharing together with Receiving and Outgoing store and some more sharing with these 2 companies.

We also do not aware of the IATF Rules as per mentioned by Greg and Johnny and probably it is wise to start go through this issue before CB issues NC to us. Thanks for the input everyone.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
O Release of Sanctioned Interpretations (SIs) related to Rules 5th Edition and Sanctioned Interpretations related to IATF 16949:2016 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
G IATF Rules for COVID 5th revision - Re-certification audit timing IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
M Why have IATF rules required the CBs to audit remote supporting functions at first? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
C What are rules to notify customers if IATF cert is put on hold? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
R IATF 16949 certification rules IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
Sidney Vianna IATF 16949 Areas of Impact - Rules 5th Edition Document (February 2017) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
Anerol C IATF or ISO TS 16949 rules about Scope of QMS IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
Crimpshrine13 Rules of achieving and maintaining IATF recognition - Determining audit days IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
N IATF Appeals on ISO/TS16949 Rules - 4th Ed. - Removal of Site Extensions IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
J What is soft auditing and soft grading in the IATF Rules 4th Edition? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
B Rules for Achieving IATF Recognition: 4th edition for ISO/TS 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 97
S IATF (International Automotive Task Force) Rules 4th edition changes IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
S ISO/TS 16949 IATF Rules: 2.9 Management of Impartiality IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
Manix Should a 3rd Party Auditor Audit against IATF rules and not just the ISO standard? General Auditing Discussions 4
J Rules for Achieving IATF Recognition 3rd Edition FAQ?s - Certification Decision 5.12 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
M Rules for achieving IATF (International Automotive Task Force) recognition IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
P News from IATF page - New SI and FAQ for Rules ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 0
A IATF Rules which define an "Extension Site" under TS16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
J Certification Scheme for ISO/TS 16949:2002 - Rules for achieving IATF Recognition IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
P "Opportunities for Improvement" definition in IATF Certification Rules? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Celtic Warrior New IATF rules for auditor change IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
P IATF Information - Rules for Achieving IATF Recognition - TS 16949 3rd Edition ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 23
P New IATF "Rules" and Auditor Recertification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
C Help with Rules for achieving IATF recognition IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
Marc IATF SIGNIFICANTLY Changes ISO/TS 16949:2002 'Rules' ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 5
A Rules for Achieving IATF Recognition - A Second Edition for ISO/TS 16949:2002 ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 10
S IATF Certification Rules - "Rules for Achieving IATF Recognition" 2nd edition soon? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 14
S IATF 16949 Supplier selection criteria 8.4.1.2 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
G Remote support - IATF allowed words defined? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
D "certified" in ISO 19011, as well as IATF required? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
D IATF 16949 M&TE Laboratory scope IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
M IATF 16949 SI # 10: Integrated self-calibration of measurement equipment- Needs for explanation IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
B IATF Certification Body Recommendations Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
K IATF audit day requirements table 5.2 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
Q ISO 9001/IATF 16949 Audit Finding Question - Document Retention IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
M IATF - Internal Audit 3 year span Internal Auditing 4
J IATF 16949 Calibration/Verification records question ISO 26262 - Road vehicles – Functional safety 5
D Bulk Materials (Greases) and IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
M New IATF Sanctioned Interpretations April 2021 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
L Eligible for IATF or eligible for LOC ? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
N IATF Calibration Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 5
J IATF 16949 Internal Audit question - Auditor's responsibility Internal Auditing 6
B How many nonconformances have you received on average during IATF audits? General Auditing Discussions 24
S IATF 16949 Internal Audit Example IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
B Remote IATF 16949 audit preparation General Auditing Discussions 10
R IATF 16949 Certification for new site with transferred product--what is the impact with CSR and scorecards? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
B IATF 16949 Cert Expire- New certification body IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
M IATF 16949 - Audit of Remote Location/Support Site and IT IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Q IATF audit - Root Cause Analysis results IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
M IATF Icon pack /PNG IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0