IATF16949:2016 8.7.1.4 Control of non-applicable reworked product

try2makeit

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi everyone,

quick question. We don't rework non-conforming parts. The cost of labor would be more extensive than running a new lot of correct parts and tossing the non-compliant. Will I still be required to have a rework FMEA? Or will a simple paragraph stating that rework is not an option because of the cost in labor and time would be more extensive and that we replace non-conforming parts? Would a auditor accept that?

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Will I still be required to have a rework FMEA?
Common sense says it would be a waste of time and effort to develop a FMEA for something that would never happen.

In your position, I would document the context that rework is non-applicable in your organization, for the reason you have already explained and add a sentence to the effect that, if future products change that context, a rework FMEA would be developed.

Quality systems have to get rid of non-value added documents, processes, systems, etc.

As for your external auditor's potential rejection of your approach, I would "cross that bridge" if and when it comes. The last paragraph in 4.3 supports your position.

Last edited:

try2makeit

Quite Involved in Discussions
Common sense says it would be a waste of time and effort to develop a FMEA for something that would never happen.

In your position, I would document the context that rework is non-applicable in your organization, for the reason you have already explained and add a sentence to the effect that, if future products change that context, a rework FMEA would be developed.

Quality systems have to get rid of non-value added documents, processes, systems, etc.

As for your external auditor's potential rejection of your approach, I would "cross that bridge" if and when it comes.
Thank you Sidney. I was thinking the same thing, but needed someone else to confirm my thoughts.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
Per 8.7.1.4 you need to do risk analysis "prior to a decision to rework the product." Since your decision will always be no (at this point), you should be fine. Good luck.

Top Bottom