IATF16949 8.5.1.5 Total Productive Maintenance

K

kylerf

I am running through the IATF standard in preparation for our certification audit and was wondering, how will we satisfy this requirement? what will the auditor be looking for?

IATF16949:2016 8.5.1.5- "The organization shall develop, implement, and maintain a documented total productive maintenance system."

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Admin
The standard defines as following
total productive maintenance
a system of maintaining and improving the integrity of production and quality systems through machines, equipment processes, and employees that add value to the organization
The audit will look at these requirements and should always go back to this definition

jack770214

Involved In Discussions
The standard defines as following

The audit will look at these requirements and should always go back to this definition
The standard is straightforward in what its asking for. The only thing debatable with the auditor is which metrics you choose. My equipment folks feel MTBF is fairly passe I believe they use OEE where mtbf is one part of the equation. But you can also default to the standard and you wont be wrong.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

AMIT BALLAL

Super Moderator
Standard asks for documented system, which can be a documented procedure / flow diagram. I prefer a documented procedure.

In comparison to ISO/TS16949, only major changes are addition of requirement of periodic overhaul and maintenance objectives.

Jack, I don't feel there should be any debate. Its up-to the organization about which metrics to choose, as long as it is relevant. Standard has just given examples of metrics such MTTR, MTBF, OEE.

jack770214

Involved In Discussions
Standard asks for documented system, which can be a documented procedure / flow diagram. I prefer a documented procedure.

In comparison to ISO/TS16949, only major changes are addition of requirement of periodic overhaul and maintenance objectives.

Jack, I don't feel there should be any debate. Its up-to the organization about which metrics to choose, as long as it is relevant. Standard has just given examples of metrics such MTTR, MTBF, OEE.
Key words relevant. We have had our share of CB auditors that felt a particularly metric was not suitable. That said we have had zero finding for TPM. So yes I agree no worries there. There are much more nebulous parts to the standard such as connection between context of the organisation, interested parties and risks and opportunities. Bump to another thread. ;)

We have had our share of CB auditors that felt a particularly metric was not suitable.
Not their's to debate. It's simply a case of what you do being measured against an objective to demonstrate effectiveness. What's so difficult that an auditor has to pass comment on "suitability"? When was the last time they ran a maintenance program?

jack770214

Involved In Discussions
Not their's to debate. It's simply a case of what you do being measured against an objective to demonstrate effectiveness. What's so difficult that an auditor has to pass comment on "suitability"? When was the last time they ran a maintenance program?
Evidently your company has not had our auditors. My experiences so far...Asian, American, Indian (from India) auditors no issues. German and Netherland auditors debate suitability and have been a pain in the ass. I agree not theirs to debate...evidently they don't here you.

Evidently your company has not had our auditors. My experiences so far...Asian, American, Indian (from India) auditors no issues. German and Netherland auditors debate suitability and have been a pain in the ass. I agree not theirs to debate...evidently they don't here you.

Not my company, no. From the perspective of working in and around certification for 30 years, yes. Take a look at ISO 19011. Nothing in there about being a member of the high-school debating society...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C IATF16949 certification eligibility IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
J How many majors is one company allowed ? IATF16949 Manufacturing and Related Processes 16
Jimmy123 IATF16949 Control Plan FMEA and Control Plans 1
M IATF16949 Clause 9.1.2.1e - Customer notification related IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
B IATF16949 audit requirement - Auditor request UCL and LCL must be show Xbar-R, IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
D IATF16949 - Interpretation of Customer Requirements clauses IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
D IATF16949 7.5.3.2.1 Record Retention - Our Product or Customer Product? Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 1
P Definition of production tooling in IATF16949 clause 8.5.1.6 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
I IATF16949 Audit Preparation, Need "searchable" ANPQP 3.1 or latest IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
T QMS Training for my organization - IATF16949 and also AS9100 or 9145 Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
J Your opinion on the better training org for IATF16949 Internal auditor and Lead Auditor IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
K IATF16949 inputs/outputs & KPIs Internal Auditing 3
K Caliso IATF16949 Auditor Training question Internal Auditing 1
D Identifying externally provided services referenced by IATF16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
E Ask for supplier control procedure which conforms to IATF16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
K Online IATF16949 training Internal Auditing 10
S IATF16949:2016 certified without ISO:9001:2015 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
T IATF16949:2016 8.7.1.4 Control of non-applicable reworked product IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
DeeDeeM IATF16949, clause 8.5.2.1 Identification and traceability-supplemental IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
A Documented Processes as per IATF16949 - Requirements for Turtle Diagrams IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
D IATF16949 Second Location Certification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
B Total Productive Maintenance - Company Transport IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
B Gage R&R Acceptable (10-30%), deduct Total Variation from Tolerance Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
J Implementation of Total Quality Management/Starting a Quality Department Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 9
B IATF 16949 Section 8.5.1.5 (Total Productive Maintenance) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 42
P Total Variation in Data - Overall Importance of the Principal Components Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
M Total number of Requirements for ISO 9001:2008 vs. ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
J One third of the total audit days on manufacturing (TS 16949) General Auditing Discussions 2
M Total Productive Maintenance vs. Lean, Six sigma, Business Process Reengineering, etc Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 9
F What is the scope for "Total Numbers of Employees on site" per ISO/TS 16949 ? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Marc Total Lunar Eclipse Visible in North America - 15 April 2014 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
K Can I use ANSI/AQL for the Total Number of Containers for the entire Lot? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
I Supplier Selection based on Total Cost question Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
B Total Resolution of an Measurement Instrument Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
D Pls hlep me understand the "Total Anaerobic Plate Count" Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 1
G How can Total Quality help a company or business compete in the world market? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 2
M How many documents total do you currently have? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
5 Reasonable GRR result for a 0-1" micrometer with a total tolerance of .002" Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 16
C A total newbie to AS 9101 needs general help AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 16
B Total Productive Maintenance Templates to Drive TPM Forward Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
N Total Productive Maintenance (TPM) Portuguese Definitions and Terms Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 4
V Differences between Business Process Reengineering (BPR) and Total Quality Management Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
Z KPI Formula Issue - "Change Requests Managed" = Changed/Total ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
optomist1 Circular Runout vs. Total Runout Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
S Ppk & Cpk - Within Subgroup Variation is always smaller than Total Variation Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 18
optomist1 Circular or Total Runout Gears and Splines? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
Q Inspecting Total Runout Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 10
P Uncertainty Measurement for Colour, Odour, Taste, Turbidity, Total Suspended Solids Calibration Frequency (Interval) 2
A %Total Variation & %Tolerance - Differences in Gage R&R Forms and Templates Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
S Determining the Total Sample Size using AQL - AQL Lot Quantity question AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 8