IBM hiring more than 14,000 new workers in India this year

A

amanbhai

See the following news:

IBM is planning to hire more than 14,000 new workers in India this year, even as the company proceeds with layoffs of up to 13,000 workers in Europe and the United States, the New York Times reported Friday, citing an internal company document.
Is it because of cost effectivness only?

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
amanbhai said:
See the following news:

IBM is planning to hire more than 14,000 new workers in India this year, even as the company proceeds with layoffs of up to 13,000 workers in Europe and the United States, the New York Times reported Friday, citing an internal company document.
Yup, there go another 13,000 contributors to the economy. They will find work again, but at what salary? If they are like me, their buying power will be reduced for a long time, hurting state economies while corporations seek to compete with each other for stock value.

IBM will no doubt say they are having too much trouble finding good tech people to do their work here, but visit the Monster.com tech board to find a lot of the skilled and talented people the top execs say they can't find.

It's got to be about costs.

I still blame the Wall Street fixation that stresses cost cutting to the point of trimming vital, long term growth. But I'm afraid it's not going away, we'll have to keep dealing with it as best we can.

Ron Rompen

Trusted Information Resource
Based on the weather reports today from New Delhi, they are probably expecting to lose a large portion of their work force to heat prostration!

The temp has been ranging in the mid to high 40's!, with high humidity levels as well.

I like a warm summer's day as much as the next guy, but that is just too much of a good thing :)

C

celestica - 2005

Basically, layoffs are for cost reduction. Not only will the expense in salary be reduced but also the benefits such as insurance, annual parties, electricity and water. This is especially true if the people have been with the company for a long time, which entails higher salary bracket.

This is what happened to many international companies in my country, the Philippines. They pulled out and transferred to China, Malaysia, and Vietnam, where the cost is much lesser, in terms of salary, electricity, water, and other overhead cost. The companies owned locally slash their work force every time there is a daily wage increase. And the saddest thing about it is that, the management targets on the production workers who barely make both ends meet.

Tim Folkerts

Trusted Information Resource
Ron Rompen said:
The temp has been ranging in the mid to high 40's!, with high humidity levels as well.

For the metrically disabled in the US: 40 C = 104 F; 45 C = 113 F :)

Tim F

Randy

Super Moderator
Tim Folkerts said:
For the metrically disabled in the US: 40 C = 104 F; 45 C = 113 F :)

Tim F

What's the big deal! :lol: Where I worked for Lockheed and ITT the summer temp's would exceed 50C frequently and I personally worked in temp's above 55C and that doesn't count the multiplication factor you get when working on concrete around metal.

A

Atul Khandekar

Ron Rompen said:
Not unusual. Just very typical pre-monsoon weather in this part of the world. I'm sure all of those 14000 are used to it. :eek:

D

Don Palmer

amanbhai said:
See the following news:
Congratulations to the 14,000 IBM new hire hopefuls in India. The 13,000 IBM workers who face layoffs in Europe and the United States must face the fact, deal with it, and move on with their lives, come what may. Of course, this is “easier said than done” for most people.

The entire world is a stage.

“Is it because of cost effectiveness only?” I think not. In today’s global culture actions such as these, are part of a much bigger plan, a plan to redistribute affluence and wealth away from the common people at the national level. Globalization of affluence and wealth is the master plan. Of course, whether on the national level or global level, the same people will control all the marbles. Global control will make it near impossible for commoners to collect marbles in quantities of a kind to which they have been accustomed. With much drama, life styles will change.

We have yet another example of the end of economic affluence in America. Have the American people forgotten their history? How many of today’s “Americans even know their history? Where is our “terrible resolve” to stop this global plan dead in its tracks. Maybe the great American Dream has become just another fable or fairy tale during our generational existence. Maybe we should just embrace globalization in all aspects and stop our whining. Maybe we should rise to the occasion with "terrible resolve" and take a stand against what we perceive to be winds of adversity.

Top Bottom