Ideas for an Open Source Calibration Database Software

K

kgriff

I've been thinking for several years of beginning development of an open source calibration database/automation program.

It would be something like this:
MySQL database with a PHP front end. (Of course, it doesn't have to be PHP. There are many programmers out there that could much better evaluate PHP vs. other stuff and maybe there is something much better.)

I don't yet have any great ideas as to what would be used for procedure automation.

Of course, I'd like to have cross platform functionality. This is most applicable to calibration automation.

Are there any developers on here that would be willing to begin collaboration on a project like this?
There are lots of calibration packages out there; some good, some not so good. I think in an open source environment, over the course of a few years, we could develop a truly awesome calibration package.

Long term, I'd like to turn this into a true community project. As such, an automated procedure repository could be created that anyone could contribute to. I think we'd see very quick response to new instrumentation on the market, and probably some pretty good procedures.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
I'm interested...been thinking about this same thing for a while...I just don't know where I'd have the time.
Working full time (Assistant Director of Operations) and running another business on the side.

Some of my thoughts:
1. Filemaker Pro - True cross platform - no issues, Can be open or closed at developer's preference, cheap ($400/seat for the program...closed runtimes may be distributed for free at developers option and not need the program at all). Allows attachment of pdf, xl, pictures, etc., Adaptable easily to iOS. {No Android support though...}

2. Modular - Using data separation model, the UI can be tweaked based on feedback without harming user data.

3. Facility Modular - Calibration / CA-PA track / OFI - Cont. Improvement / etc / etc

Calibration is enough to start with, but build forward looking.

I am not affiliated with Filemaker...

ScottBP

Involved In Discussions
I once mentioned "open source calibration software" at a NCSLI conference and got some icy cold stares from people who have databases to sell... :notme: But it would be nice to have something that everybody can contribute to and freely exchange ideas, be evaluated and validated by peers, be able to modify to fit different needs, etc., much in the same way open source mathematics packages are done (e.g. GNU Octave, Scilab, NIST Dataplot, etc.) Once upon a time Fluke had a "User contributed procedures" section for their MET/CAL software, but hardly anybody contributed to it, as MET/CAL developers tend to be secretive about their procedures and don't want to give away their hard work for nothing, which is unfortunate, as many labs are forced to "reinvent the wheel" every time, especially when budgets are too tight to "buy" someone else's work.

I

iamtroll

Has anyone thought if an open source calibration database is wanted that open source database software such as LibreOffice offers would be an interesting starting point? Those that want large complicated packages are going to go out and buy them anyway.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
O Inventory control ideas - I have an open stock room with a "sign out" book Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
T Ideas for developing a Supplier Quality Management System, non automotive ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
M Production approval testing - Alternative ideas for Validation Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
Ed Panek Ideas to keep quotes for consulting service accurate on not inflated Consultants and Consulting 11
B Practical ideas for information labelling in healthcare environment IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 2
F Ideas for brewery poka-yoke system - Labels that are glued to a bottle Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
D Error proofing ideas sheet metal punches Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
D Ideas for Poka Yoke or Improvement - Aluminum FOD in Assembly Customer Complaints 3
K Looking for Calibrated Tool Shadowboard Substrate Ideas AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
J ISO 17025 Guide and Ideas for a New Calibration Business ISO 17025 related Discussions 18
G Process for Product Safety - Ideas for Documenting Process for 4.4.1.2 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Sean Kelley New Catchy Quality Policy Ideas Wanted IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
P Need ideas on managing Shelf Life Studies within an organization ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
T Need ideas on Synchronization of Processes Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
D ISO/IEC 17025 Implementation Workshop Ideas ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
B Share ideas to make Management Review more interesting Management Review Meetings and related Processes 4
K Product Ideas for Manufacturing Startup Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
Gman2 Scope Ideas? Can our scope contain bullets? Example inside. ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
T UK Quality Engineering Courses - Your ideas please Career and Occupation Discussions 3
9 Ideas for reducing Human Error during Order Receipt Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
B Starting a small boutique and looking for business ideas Career and Occupation Discussions 8
S Ideas on QA/RA Company Magazine Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
A "Refreshing" a Company Ideas scheme Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 8
C Ideas on Implementing Lean and 5S Methods Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 6
B Need ideas for a friendly bet - Year-end food drive Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 6
L Working closer and better with Suppliers - Practical ideas to improve? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 8
AnaMariaVR2 Developing Innovative Ideas for New Companies: free course Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
K Looking for Ideas to Track Customer Requests and PPAP Data Packages APQP and PPAP 4
F Quality Awareness Sessions - Seeking Ideas and Presentation Material Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
A Request for Daily Talking Point and Meeting Ideas Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 15
A R&D Design Control - Ideas to Improve the Quality of Drawings Design and Development of Products and Processes 7
T Quality Control System Ideas to stream line the PPAP Process ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
V Ideas, Measures/Metrics for making Quality Proactive? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
I Looking for Ideas/Tips for Management Review Meeting ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 25
B Ideas on how to differentiate jobs (AS9100 jobs vs. "commercial" jobs) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
T Let's share ideas about an inspection problem.... Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
I Any Ideas To Define The Root Cause of Corrosion Issue? Manufacturing and Related Processes 12
P Scorecard Data Forged - Ideas Please Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
Y Ideas of interactive exercises for a Quality Training (ISO 13485) Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
J Keeping Milk for Domestic Consumption Fresh - - Ideas? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 33
Chennaiite Product Release Risk Assessment - Ideas Wanted Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
A Sustainability 101 Training Ideas and Presentation Materials wanted Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 2
smryan Seeking Conference Room Name Ideas Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 41
A Seeking Views and Ideas on Procedure related to Project Implementation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
T Concept Process FMEA examples and ideas wanted FMEA and Control Plans 1
J Would like to remodel our QA Layout Laboratory - Your ideas appreciated Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
C Management Of Change System or Software - Recommendations and Ideas wanted After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 2
P Floor Supervisor End of Shift Report ideas and/or template wanted Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
M Operator Station Inspection Training Materials and Ideas wanted Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 9
Q APQP Compliance Internal Audit - Ideas, check lists or main questions to prepare APQP and PPAP 9