Identification and labeling medical device replacement system components

Mark Meer

Trusted Information Resource
Curious how people handle the packaging & labeling of replacement medical device system components.

For example:
An electronic medical device system comes with a power-supply adaptor. The power-supply adaptor is then lost/misplaced by the customer and they request a replacement.

In the context of FDA QSR, ISO 13485 system for devices marketed in US and Europe, how should this be handled?
- Does the replacement component have to have dedicated packaging and instructions?
- Does the replacement component require its own distribution record?
- Does the replacement component require its own catalogue (re-order) number?

...or can we simply take a replacement adaptor from inventory, put it in a FedEx package and have it couriered?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
I

isoalchemist

IMHO their is no single answer, it really depends on what is being seen as a replacement part and its criticality. An AC adapter that is documented in your system should just be a ship. Other components may need to be more controlled. Extend that to who is getting the replacement part as that may change the requirements.

Mark Meer

So, most of these considerations are up to the manufacturer/distributor? That'd be ideal.

...just wanted to check if anyone knows of any applicable regulations (FDA, or EC) that cover these kinds of situations. ...if not, great.

L

Lutz Born

I tag along, I hope it’s okay? If not, please shift my Thread (to moderators)
We have a similar issue with our manufacture, only the other way round.
The Situation:
We order a medical device class I (Main body AND power supply) since several years. On both parts in the past there was a CE Label. So far so good, now we ordered only the Main body to replace them on the market, cause of malfunctions.
And now the manufacturer sent us only the Main body WITHOUT the CE label. We requested to deliver these label, but the manufacturer says “they deliver only parts, and they could not be sure that we use these Main bodies with the dedicated power supply, so they don’t deliver these CE labels!”
Now my question: Could the manufacture do so? In my opinion the Main body is a MD itself, only without the dedicated power supply. So the manufacturer has to label them with the CE label. Or am I wrong in that?
Thank you!

Mark Meer

Luz Born:
If the device consists only of the two components you mentioned (Main Body & Power-Supply), in my view the company is skirting regulations by sending you an unlabelled Main Body. I agree with you that the Main body is a MD itself.

...the manufacturer says ?they deliver only parts, and they could not be sure that we use these Main bodies with the dedicated power supply...
This is an example where I'd hoped there'd be some regulations or guidance documents. Do such replacement "parts" have to be identified/labelled somehow? Perhaps with some kind of statement such as "Use only with <parent system>"?

New FDA Draft guidance issued yesterday that clarifies/confuses
You mean the one released some time ago but "issued" yesterday? :lol:

While clarification on "accessory" has been a long time coming for the FDA, there still seems to be room for interpretation regarding "supports the performance of a parent device".
When it comes to replacement parts, I presume the questions to ask would be "would the absence of the part directly affect the intended use performance"? If so, the replacement part would be and accessory, and hence have to be labelled as such. If not, it would not have to be labelled?

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
there still seems to be room for interpretation regarding "supports the performance of a parent device".
It is definitely as clear as mud.

Interpretation: The lack of proper FDA definitions regarding accessories to medical devices was a sore point for years. Now there is a document that the FDA can wave and say: "Look, here it is!", while in fact significant vagueness is maintained to allow FDA officers plenty of wiggle room.

When it comes to replacement parts, I presume the questions to ask would be "would the absence of the part directly affect the intended use performance"? If so, the replacement part would be and accessory, and hence have to be labelled as such. If not, it would not have to be labelled?
Replacement parts are generally not accessories, IMO.
For something to be an accessory, it would have to:
a. be placed on the market separately from the device (could be done together, but as two separate codes as in two separate line items, two separate packages etc.); AND
b. the device should be able to fulfill its intended use even without the accessory, albeit in some lesser way.

A replacement part is something that fails both items a & b above during the initial delivery, and at least item b on consequent deliveries.

Cheers,
Ronen.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
I tag along, I hope it’s okay? If not, please shift my Thread (to moderators)
We have a similar issue with our manufacture, only the other way round.
The Situation:
We order a medical device class I (Main body AND power supply) since several years. On both parts in the past there was a CE Label. So far so good, now we ordered only the Main body to replace them on the market, cause of malfunctions.
And now the manufacturer sent us only the Main body WITHOUT the CE label. We requested to deliver these label, but the manufacturer says “they deliver only parts, and they could not be sure that we use these Main bodies with the dedicated power supply, so they don’t deliver these CE labels!”
Now my question: Could the manufacture do so? In my opinion the Main body is a MD itself, only without the dedicated power supply. So the manufacturer has to label them with the CE label. Or am I wrong in that?
Thank you!
Hello and welcome to (posting on) the Cove:bigwave:

The main question should be: "Does the item fall under the (finished) Medical Device definition?"

If that "main body" does so, on its own, then it is a medical device and the regulations apply, regardless of it also being part of another medical device (e.g. body + power supply).

If it doesn't, then it is a component of a medical device (only) and there are far less requirements.

The question of whether or not CE marking is required (and possible) is a little different. A CE mark is a declaration by the manufacturer that the item (and its manufacturer) conforms with ALL the relevant EC directive that include provisions for CE marking. The main body might not be considered a Medical Device on its own (I can't say without full exposure to the details), and thus exempt from the MDD, but still be subject to other directives that provide for CE marking. In that case the manufacturer would have to comply with all those other directives and then apply the CE mark, before placing the item on the EC market.

Cheers,
Ronen.

L

Lutz Born

If the device consists only of the two components you mentioned (Main Body & Power-Supply), in my view the company is skirting regulations by sending you an unlabelled Main Body. I agree with you that the Main body is a MD itself.
Thank you! This main body will fulfill its intended use if you use another power supply which meets the voltage/current specifications.

This is an example where I'd hoped there'd be some regulations or guidance documents. Do such replacement "parts" have to be identified/labelled somehow? Perhaps with some kind of statement such as "Use only with <parent system>"?
I’ve read the IFU several times, and such a statement is missing.
I only found this:

The entire electrical system must comply with CEI or IEC standards for electrical systems on medical
premises.“

At section installation, is only mentioned „the transformer box“

But whatever, i.e. we bought the whole system (main body, psu, inclusive all CE) placed it at the customer. Now only the main body gets destroyed/ broken, and we order a new one, with a different serial number and so on, without psu. In my opinion the MF (manufacturer) have to deliver it with CE.
This situation is nothing different as we would only buy the main body, or not?

Hello and welcome to (posting on) the Cove
Thank you! :)

The main question should be: "Does the item fall under the (finished) Medical Device definition?"
This clear definition is missing at the 93/42/EC IMO.
We say, Yes it is. Because you could fulfill its intended use by using an psu which meets the specifications.

They say, NO. It is an unfinished device without the psu.

If that "main body" does so, on its own, then it is a medical device and the regulations apply, regardless of it also being part of another medical device (e.g. body + power supply).

If it doesn't, then it is a component of a medical device (only) and there are far less requirements.
And this is the discussion point we have here.
Is it a MD or not, without the psu.

The question of whether or not CE marking is required (and possible) is a little different. A CE mark is a declaration by the manufacturer that the item (and its manufacturer) conforms with ALL the relevant EC directive that include provisions for CE marking. The main body might not be considered a Medical Device on its own (I can't say without full exposure to the details), and thus exempt from the MDD, but still be subject to other directives that provide for CE marking. In that case the manufacturer would have to comply with all those other directives and then apply the CE mark, before placing the item on the EC market.

Cheers,
Ronen.
We’ve got a DoC (Declaration of Conformity) for this MD.
They have tested the MD according ISO 60601 with their “dedicated” psu.
And they say “if we deliver without psu, we can’t guarantee it is EC conform, so we deliver them without CE”.

The solution in our opinion will be:

They declare a statement in the IFU that the MD is only to be installed and used with their psu (exactly description of psu, article number…).
On the other side, they have to deliver the main body with CE for replacements on the market.

Ronen, Mark, thank you so much so far!

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Pmarszal UDI (Unique Device Identification) Transition Period - Packaging Labeling Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
D 820.120 UDI (Unique Device Identification) Labeling Verification Requirements Other US Medical Device Regulations 11
hogheavenfarm Labeling and Identification of stainless steel parts in process Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
A Identification and Traceability - Labeling spaces in warehouse ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
T ISO 9001 8.5.2. - Identification and traceability to Identify Outputs - Services ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
K Identification of hazards and Risk file IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 7
M Medical Device Identification & Codes - Article 27 Requirements questions EU Medical Device Regulations 1
T Non conformance product identification and traceability 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
qualprod Monitoring of lead time - Good KPI identification? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
qualprod Controlled sticker for product identification? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
Watchcat Identification of Test Sample in Test Reports? Design and Development of Products and Processes 22
B Marking of Medical Electrical equipment and accessories - Cl. 7.2.2 "Identification" and Cl. 7.2.4 "Accessories" IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
M Informational EU – Unique Device Identification (UDI) System – FAQs Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
S ISO 14971 Risk Management - Questions for Hazard identification ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
Z Two Payment Identification Number (PIN) for the same order in DFUF website 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
K Identification and Traceability with an ERP system - Barcode Labels? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M MDR Annex IX Chapter I, 2.2 (c) - Device identification procedures during manufacture. EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Informational USFDA final guidance – Unique Device Identification: Convenience Kits Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Stefan Mundt ISO 9001:2015 - 8.5.2 Identification and Traceability Manufacturing and Related Processes 14
S Looking for procedure on UDI (Unique Device Identification) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
S UDI (Unique Device Identification) Requirements for Remanufactured devices 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
B Quality Management System documentation identification Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
K Document Numbering (Identification) System Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
N Requirements for the identification and traceability of demo product for sales force US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
M RFID (Radio Frequency Identification) Registration in Europe and in MENA countries EU Medical Device Regulations 1
qualprod Identification of Training Needs = People Performance? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
H European Pharmacopoeia First Identification Requirements Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
J Identification of gage blocks General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
DeeDeeM IATF16949, clause 8.5.2.1 Identification and traceability-supplemental IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
DeeDeeM IATF 16949 - Clause 8.5.2 Identification and Traceability IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
Q ISO 9001 Cl. 8.5.2 and 8.5.4 - Identification in Products ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
M Measurement Equipment - Identification of Calibration Status General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 25
J Customer Identification and Traceability in Manufacturing Plans Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
M Risk Identification and Risk Assessment for any Process - Is it necessary? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 22
Edward Reesor UDI (Unique Device Identification): HIBCC or GS1? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 31
R Identification of Medical Devices in MDD 93/42 Certificate EU Medical Device Regulations 2
L Managing Finance Processes - Identification of Sub Processes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
M Informational Is Identification of Risks and Opportunities required for QMS Processes? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 96
dubrizo Initial Supplier Identification, Review and Controls ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
H UDI (Unique Device Identification) Requirements for IVD Software EU Medical Device Regulations 2
A Receiving Goods Inwards - Identification Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 8
Q RFID (radio frequency identification) registration for Medical Device Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 6
B Class II Medical Device UDI (Unique Device Identification) Question(s) Other US Medical Device Regulations 8
A Is Risk Identification and Treatment a Process? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 25
M Identification of Glass Instruments and Measurement Devices General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
A Identification of Customer Property: Customer-Supplied Thumb Drives & Ext Hard Drives ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
Z Failure Mode Identification in PFMEA according to AIAG FMEA Rev.4 FMEA and Control Plans 6
M Reagent Status Identification - 7.4.3 Verification of Purchased Product ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
Gman2 Identification of Raw Material being used In-Process ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
L Identification of Inputs vs. Outputs in Design and Development (Section 7.3) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4