Identification and Traceability in Medical Device Tracking - FDA Requirements

J

Jimmy Olson

Identification and Traceability - FDA Requirements

Seeking information on Identification and Traceability in Medical Device Tracking

Hello again everyone.

There has been a lot of rumblings around here in regards to identification and traceability in regards to FDA requirements. I am curious to know if we would need to apply this to everything we do, or if we can apply it to the specific medical products. We won't be manufacturing anything that would fall into the category of implant or life support, so my understanding is that we don't need lot traceability under the FDA requirements. But I might be off in interpreting that.

Any kind of clarification you can provide regarding identification and traceability would be greatly appreciated. We are currently trying to determine what we need to do and the scale of everything. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Al Rosen

Holed-up in a Hotel in South Florida
Staff member
Super Moderator
Hi Richard:

The FDA recently published a document about this subject. You can find it through the following link.

Medical Device Tracking

In general, you can find a lot of what you need at www.FDA.gov/cdrh/

I was thrust into medical devices just over 2 years ago and used the FDA site and their guidance documents for everything. You can do a search there to answer a lot of questions. If you need any additional information or help, let me know.

J

Jimmy Olson

Hi Al,

Thanks for the link, that helped clear things up a bit. I've been to the CDRH site quite a bit, but trying to navigate through everything is a bit of a nightmare at times :)

I too am being thrust into the medical devices area (although slowly, thankfully). I've been gathering information and trying to interpret everything as I go. One thing that would be handy if you know where I could find it (if it exists) is something that cross references all the FDA regulations. I've been learning that there are a number of regulations that add to or clarify portions of 21 cfr 820. I do have a book on the way that will hopefully help :confused:

Thanks again for the information. I was just given the green light yesterday to start doing some heavier and more indepth research to figure out the gaps we would need to fill, so I'm sure I will have plenty of questions soon. :)

J

Jimmy Olson

I have a couple of cross reference charts that cover 9k2k, 13485, and 820 that are pretty useful, but I would appreciate it if you sent a copy of the one you have ([email protected]). The thing I was talking about was if there is something that references 820 to the other FDA regulations that apply (such as section 11 for electonic records, section 821 for tracking, etc...). It seems like I'll read a portion of 820 and understand that, but then find out there are other refulations that apply. I hope I'm making sense :bonk:

In 9k2k there are notes that refer to other documents (such as for calibration and auditing) to either add or clarify. Basically I was wondering if there was something like that for 820 so I can find out all the regulations that would apply in addition to 820. I might be making this way more complicated than I need to, and if so, please let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:

Al Rosen

Holed-up in a Hotel in South Florida
Staff member
Super Moderator
Richard:

Try the guidance documents at: http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/guidance.html

or you might find this site helpful
http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/comp/gmp.html

Using calibration as an example, what you need is in the regulation and it's probably what you have covered in your current procedures.

Sec. 820.72 Inspection, measuring, and test equipment.

(a) Control of inspection, measuring, and test equipment. Each
manufacturer shall ensure that all inspection, measuring, and test
equipment, including mechanical, automated, or electronic inspection and
test equipment, is suitable for its intended purposes and is capable of
producing valid results. Each manufacturer shall establish and maintain
procedures to ensure that equipment is routinely calibrated, inspected,
checked, and maintained. The procedures shall include provisions for
handling, preservation, and storage of equipment, so that its accuracy
and fitness for use are maintained. These activities shall be
documented.
(b) Calibration. Calibration procedures shall include specific
directions and limits for accuracy and precision. When accuracy and
precision limits are not met, there shall be provisions for remedial
action to reestablish the limits and to evaluate whether there was any
adverse effect on the device's quality. These activities shall be
documented.
(1) Calibration standards. Calibration standards used for
inspection, measuring, and test equipment shall be traceable to national
or international standards. If national or international standards are
not practical or available, the manufacturer shall use an independent
reproducible standard. If no applicable standard exists, the
manufacturer shall establish and maintain an in-house standard.
(2) Calibration records. The equipment identification, calibration
dates, the individual performing each calibration, and the next
calibration date shall be documented. These records shall be displayed
on or near each piece of equipment or shall be readily available to the
personnel using such equipment and to the individuals responsible for
calibrating the equipment.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T ISO 9001 8.5.2. - Identification and traceability to Identify Outputs - Services ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
T Non conformance product identification and traceability 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
K Identification and Traceability with an ERP system - Barcode Labels? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Stefan Mundt ISO 9001:2015 - 8.5.2 Identification and Traceability Manufacturing and Related Processes 14
N Requirements for the identification and traceability of demo product for sales force US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
DeeDeeM IATF16949, clause 8.5.2.1 Identification and traceability-supplemental IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
DeeDeeM IATF 16949 - Clause 8.5.2 Identification and Traceability IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
J Customer Identification and Traceability in Manufacturing Plans Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
R Drilling Service Identification and Traceability Requirements Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
G Required Chains Identification for Traceability Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 3
x-files Thermal Powerplant - 7.5.3 Identification and Traceability ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
D Are we doing enough to meet Identification and Traceability 7.5.3 Requirements? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
D Identification and Traceability 7.5.3 - What is considered Traceable? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
M Identification and Traceability for Oil & Gas Production ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
Y AS9100C 7.5.3 Identification and Traceability - Interpretation and Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 16
S Size of Identification, Traceability and Status Labels? Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 3
A Identification and Traceability down to the smallest detail of the component AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
T Age Sensitive Materials - Identification and Traceability procedure - Powder Coat ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 24
T Identification and Traceability 7.5.3 by Location ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
Buckyb AS9100 7.5.3 Identification and Traceability - Difference between actual and agreed AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
S Identification & Traceability Procedure example wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
E Root Cause Corrective Action - Identification and Traceability Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 5
J Identification and Traceability requirements - Clause 7.5.3 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
J Identification and (material) traceability - Intent of the Standard? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Anerol C How are you handling Identification and Traceability? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
M Identification & Traceability Application Differences ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
J Where traceability is required, the unique identification of the product is recorded ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
K Is Identification and Traceability a procedure or more of a guideline? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26
L Product Identification & Traceability (when a part number changes) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
O Identifying Raw Material Part Numbers - Product Identification and Traceability ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
GStough Identification & Traceability - ISO13485:2003 - Clause 7.5.3.2 - Distributors ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
B Lot Tracking - Automotive Requirements - Identification and Traceability Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 18
S Incorporating SOP Into ISO 9001 Procedures - 7.5.3 Identification and traceability ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
J 7.5.3 Identification and traceability including FIFO and Inventory IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
R Identification and Traceability During the Product Realization Process IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
L TS 16949 7.5.3 Identification and traceability IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
A Identification and Traceability - Labeling spaces in warehouse ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
X 7.5.3 Identification and Traceability vs. 7.5.3.1 Id and Traceability - Supplemental IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
R Identification and Traceability - Mixing different work orders of the same part 7.5.3 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
K Identification of hazards and Risk file IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 7
M Medical Device Identification & Codes - Article 27 Requirements questions EU Medical Device Regulations 1
qualprod Monitoring of lead time - Good KPI identification? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
qualprod Controlled sticker for product identification? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
Watchcat Identification of Test Sample in Test Reports? Design and Development of Products and Processes 22
B Marking of Medical Electrical equipment and accessories - Cl. 7.2.2 "Identification" and Cl. 7.2.4 "Accessories" IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
M Informational EU – Unique Device Identification (UDI) System – FAQs Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
S ISO 14971 Risk Management - Questions for Hazard identification ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
Z Two Payment Identification Number (PIN) for the same order in DFUF website 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
M MDR Annex IX Chapter I, 2.2 (c) - Device identification procedures during manufacture. EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Informational USFDA final guidance – Unique Device Identification: Convenience Kits Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0