Identification and Traceability - Labeling spaces in warehouse

T

tomvehoski

If each bag is already labeled with contents, I would say you don't have to label the pallet or the shelf. As long as you have a method to tell what is what, you are OK. From what I have seen on most food products, they are clearly labeled with lot/date codes. If you have more than one type of flour the type should also be identified.

Ask yourself if lack of labeling shelves will cause problems - is there a chance someone will pull sugar instead of flour, and the wrong ingredient will be used?

Hope this helps,

Tom

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
IMO, if those labels are adequate for your needs, no re-labeling is needed. But, if you have several types/grades of flour that are used in different areas the label should specify which type/grade it is. Also, do you need to have traceability by batch/lot number, etc. of the flour? If so, the traceability data should be there as well.

T

tomvehoski

One more thought...

You may want to find a system to track which location has the oldest product to make sure things get rotated properly. Many times I have seen warehouse personnel pick the most convienient location over the oldest. Computers are quite helpful here, but that is assuming you already have a computerized inventory system.

Top Bottom