Identification and Traceability - Mixing different work orders of the same part 7.5.3

Russ

Quite Involved in Discussions
I have found that one department here in my facility has been routinely mixing different work orders of the same part through several processes, just grabbing what is available to get an order out. Who believes that this breaks the chain of traceability, even if they are made from the same material per cert.?
Russ

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
D

David Mullins

YES/NO
Please pick one, 'cause I don't have enough information to answer correctly.
When I teach staff quality auditing I use an icebreaker exercise which focuses on the human need to come to conclusions even when conclusive information has not been provided. Therefore I should stick to my guns - not enough information.

------------------

Russ

David-
I have a grinder that is using parts out of one (batch) same part #, to fill the needed parts for another (batch) of that part #. Our traceability is through part #, work order (batch), and material certs. What I am asking is...does doing this break the chain of traceability for that work order when a different work order of the same part is used to fulfill the needed parts? I believe that it does indeed in fact do so, and am looking for input from others as to what they think here. Thanks....Russ

M

Michael T

Good morning Russ,

Yes, I believe that when you are using parts from one batch # to fill an order that specifies a different batch #, you break the tracability cycle, even if the part numbers are the same. If you trace your batch #'s to material certs and if you have a defective part from an order that calls out one batch # but filled with a different batch #, you cannot trace this back to the material used (and material cert) to manufacture the part.

Hope this helps...

Cheers!!!

Mike

M

Michael T

Originally posted by David Mullins:
YES/NO
Please pick one, 'cause I don't have enough information to answer correctly.
When I teach staff quality auditing I use an icebreaker exercise which focuses on the human need to come to conclusions even when conclusive information has not been provided. Therefore I should stick to my guns - not enough information.

Hi David,

I would be really interested in your icebreaking exercise, if you would care to share it.

Thanks!!!

Mike

D

David Mullins

The easy answer is that you shouldn't mix the batches. But really, we still don't have sufficient information to know.

Do you currently record materials against batches through to final product (full traceability)? This is expensive, the customer had better be requesting and paying for this service. If you're providing this traceability for free the company is getting ripped off.

If this part was being bolted onto the a space shuttle, would each part have to be traceable to its material batch? Yes.

In your case, if all the batches of the same part have material certificates that all say they are within spec, what's the big deal?

How reliable at material test certificates anyway (not much from my experiences)?

Is each batch inspected for visible compliance to the correct ID CODE for the material? Did the guy marking it at the foundry mark it correctly? What about half lengths that may not be marked?

What happens to the different material batches through you processes before they get to the grinder? Any chance of mixing?

What does the customer stipulate?
What does the Work Order state?

If the part was being used in a garden shed does anyone care about the material?

Sorry, I've ranted again.

------------------

D

David Mullins

The audit training icebreaker I use:
(the trainees can turn back to look at the paragraph after the one minute reading time has elapsed, nor can they look at the questions before hand. )

COMMUNICATIONS TEST
It does not take more than 15 seconds to read the following paragraph of 43 words. Read it carefully, you have one minute.

·¸¹º»¼½¾¿ÀÁÂ

The householder opened the door when he heard a knock. A man pushed his way in. He asked for money. The householder opened a cashbox, the contents were scooped out and the robber sped away. A policeman was notified by the householder.

·¸¹º»¼½¾¿ÀÁÂ

Please turn over this page and answer the questionnaire.

Assess the following statements
based on the paragraph contents (it's a table and doesn't come out well)

True False Information not given
1 A man knocked on the front door.
2 The man who knocked on the door pushed his way in.
3 The householder opened the door.
4 The man who knocked at the door demanded money.
5 The man who scooped up the contents of the cash box sped away.
6 The cash box contained money.
7 Did the houseowner open the cash box?
8 The robber was a man.
9 The householder notified police.
10 The police were phoned.
11 The man who pushed his way in did not ask for money.

ANSWERS:
1. ING
2. ING
3. T
4. ING
5. ING
6. ING
7. T
8. ING
9. T
10. ING
11. F

------------------

M

Michael T

Thanks for the icebreaker, David... great training tool!

If you don't mind, I would like to incorporate this into my training.

Cheers!!

Mike

barb butrym

I have seen similar with the option "T -F-?" and the majority of the people don't realize there is a ? option, which further complicates matters..usually have them sit once, read it alone, then as a team....it comes out them,and adds team building concepts to the exercise. Works great.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T ISO 9001 8.5.2. - Identification and traceability to Identify Outputs - Services ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
T Non conformance product identification and traceability 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
K Identification and Traceability with an ERP system - Barcode Labels? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Stefan Mundt ISO 9001:2015 - 8.5.2 Identification and Traceability Manufacturing and Related Processes 14
N Requirements for the identification and traceability of demo product for sales force US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
DeeDeeM IATF16949, clause 8.5.2.1 Identification and traceability-supplemental IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
DeeDeeM IATF 16949 - Clause 8.5.2 Identification and Traceability IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
J Customer Identification and Traceability in Manufacturing Plans Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
R Drilling Service Identification and Traceability Requirements Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
G Required Chains Identification for Traceability Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 3
x-files Thermal Powerplant - 7.5.3 Identification and Traceability ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
D Are we doing enough to meet Identification and Traceability 7.5.3 Requirements? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
D Identification and Traceability 7.5.3 - What is considered Traceable? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
M Identification and Traceability for Oil & Gas Production ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
Y AS9100C 7.5.3 Identification and Traceability - Interpretation and Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 16
S Size of Identification, Traceability and Status Labels? Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 3
A Identification and Traceability down to the smallest detail of the component AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
T Age Sensitive Materials - Identification and Traceability procedure - Powder Coat ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 24
T Identification and Traceability 7.5.3 by Location ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
Buckyb AS9100 7.5.3 Identification and Traceability - Difference between actual and agreed AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
S Identification & Traceability Procedure example wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
E Root Cause Corrective Action - Identification and Traceability Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 5
J Identification and Traceability requirements - Clause 7.5.3 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
J Identification and (material) traceability - Intent of the Standard? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Anerol C How are you handling Identification and Traceability? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
M Identification & Traceability Application Differences ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
J Where traceability is required, the unique identification of the product is recorded ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
K Is Identification and Traceability a procedure or more of a guideline? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26
L Product Identification & Traceability (when a part number changes) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
O Identifying Raw Material Part Numbers - Product Identification and Traceability ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
GStough Identification & Traceability - ISO13485:2003 - Clause 7.5.3.2 - Distributors ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
B Lot Tracking - Automotive Requirements - Identification and Traceability Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 18
S Incorporating SOP Into ISO 9001 Procedures - 7.5.3 Identification and traceability ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
J 7.5.3 Identification and traceability including FIFO and Inventory IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
R Identification and Traceability During the Product Realization Process IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
L TS 16949 7.5.3 Identification and traceability IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
J Identification and Traceability in Medical Device Tracking - FDA Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
A Identification and Traceability - Labeling spaces in warehouse ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
X 7.5.3 Identification and Traceability vs. 7.5.3.1 Id and Traceability - Supplemental IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
K Identification of hazards and Risk file IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 7
M Medical Device Identification & Codes - Article 27 Requirements questions EU Medical Device Regulations 1
qualprod Monitoring of lead time - Good KPI identification? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
qualprod Controlled sticker for product identification? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
Watchcat Identification of Test Sample in Test Reports? Design and Development of Products and Processes 22
B Marking of Medical Electrical equipment and accessories - Cl. 7.2.2 "Identification" and Cl. 7.2.4 "Accessories" IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
M Informational EU – Unique Device Identification (UDI) System – FAQs Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
S ISO 14971 Risk Management - Questions for Hazard identification ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
Z Two Payment Identification Number (PIN) for the same order in DFUF website 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
M MDR Annex IX Chapter I, 2.2 (c) - Device identification procedures during manufacture. EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Informational USFDA final guidance – Unique Device Identification: Convenience Kits Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0