Identification of Training Needs = People Performance?

qualprod

Trusted Information Resource
Hi everybody

I have heard of a practice in ISO 9001 which is named " Identification of training needs" which runs yearly or a every six months, the idea is to identify needs of trainings for people.

I wonder what relationship it has with the measuring the performance of people? Which is first? the measurement and from there is gotten the needs for people who need to improve something? Can someone explain this?

Other, Does ISO 9001 requires measuring performance of people? I know it is good to have it but is it really a requirement to comply?

Thanks for your inputs

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

AMIT BALLAL

What ISO9001 requires is determining the competence required. Then evaluate current competence of a person and the gap between required and current competence becomes competence gap which we consider as a training need.

What we mean by competence is whether the person is able to perform the activity required (Demonstrated ability to implement knowledge and skills). Eg. Doing inspection. So, indirectly it means measuring/monitoring performance of people. If the person is not able to X activity, then it can result in a competency gap - which can be considered as a training need.

leftoverture

Involved In Discussions
Yes, I agree with Amit. Determining competence can be done in many ways but the main thing is not to make it too complicated. We maintain a training checklist for each position, and when new technology or new methods are needed, we develop special training for those or we update the training checklists. That works for us.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

qualprod

Thanks Amit and Leftoverture

When doing the gap competence , do I have to compare in people exactly against what I have defined as required in the job description, regarding to education, training, experience and skills?
Or could I evaluate other issues which are not included in the job description?

I noticed that in this version (2015) the standard doesn't mentions skills,

Please give some inputs, thanks

AMIT BALLAL

Thanks Amit and Leftoverture

When doing the gap competence , do I have to compare in people exactly against what I have defined as required in the job description, regarding to education, training, experience and skills?
Or could I evaluate other issues which are not included in the job description?

I noticed that in this version (2015) the standard doesn't mentions skills,

Please give some inputs, thanks
Yes. 2015 version doesn't mention skills anywhere. It only asks about competence.

Why you want to do competence gap assessment for the competencies other than mentioned in Job descriptions? If those competencies are important, then why not reflect it in the job descriptions?

The person have to be competent to the job. Any approach is fine.

leftoverture

Involved In Discussions
You need to keep your competencies up to date (they can change with new technologies,etc) and then train to them. So if to are using your job description to list the training needs (competencies) then you will need to assure a review cycle to keep those job descriptions current and then train to them. Remember to keep it simple though.

qualprod

Thanks guys
Have you seen other type of evaluations?, I saw one named 360, I think they are designed for other purposes to evaluate people, most of the times, in big corporations and maybe they are managed out of a qms, please talk about this

leftoverture

Involved In Discussions
Yes, we have used 360 evaluations here, and training needs could be a part of that, but we did not do them specifically for that purpose.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trying to combine employee performance review for advancement or raise, with training records or measurement of training effectiveness seems like a confusing, losing battle to me.

Reference to being trained to accomplish all job responsibilities, referencing training from performance review...sure.

Referencing performance review as a measure of training or training effectiveness...sounds like a lot of pain.

Being trained to do something...and actually doing it well...are not the same thing.

Doing it well requires training, but training does not necessarily lead the other way.

I would shy immediately away from combining systems for identifying training needs and people performance. They are too dissimilar, though they overlap in one area.

qualprod

What is the purpose to manage it separated of ISO?and what is the purpose of the 360? What relationship it has with the detection of training?
Thanks

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Chennaiite Operator Skill Evaluation Methodology, Training Needs Identification & Training Plan Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
R IPC Counterfeit Components Identification Training DVD-166C Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
K Identification of hazards and Risk file IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 7
M Medical Device Identification & Codes - Article 27 Requirements questions EU Medical Device Regulations 1
T Non conformance product identification and traceability 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
Q Monitoring of lead time - Good KPI identification? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
Q Controlled sticker for product identification? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
Watchcat Identification of Test Sample in Test Reports? Design and Development of Products and Processes 22
B Marking of Medical Electrical equipment and accessories - Cl. 7.2.2 "Identification" and Cl. 7.2.4 "Accessories" IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
M Informational EU – Unique Device Identification (UDI) System – FAQs Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
S ISO 14971 Risk Management - Questions for Hazard identification ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
Z Two Payment Identification Number (PIN) for the same order in DFUF website 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
K Identification and Traceability with an ERP system - Barcode Labels? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M MDR Annex IX Chapter I, 2.2 (c) - Device identification procedures during manufacture. EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Informational USFDA final guidance – Unique Device Identification: Convenience Kits Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Stefan Mundt ISO 9001:2015 - 8.5.2 Identification and Traceability Manufacturing and Related Processes 14
S Looking for procedure on UDI (Unique Device Identification) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
S UDI (Unique Device Identification) Requirements for Remanufactured devices 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
B Quality Management System documentation identification Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
K Document Numbering (Identification) System Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
N Requirements for the identification and traceability of demo product for sales force US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
M RFID (Radio Frequency Identification) Registration in Europe and in MENA countries EU Medical Device Regulations 1
H European Pharmacopoeia First Identification Requirements Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
J Identification of gage blocks General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
DeeDeeM IATF16949, clause 8.5.2.1 Identification and traceability-supplemental IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
DeeDeeM IATF 16949 - Clause 8.5.2 Identification and Traceability IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
Q ISO 9001 Cl. 8.5.2 and 8.5.4 - Identification in Products ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
M Measurement Equipment - Identification of Calibration Status General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 25
J Customer Identification and Traceability in Manufacturing Plans Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
M Risk Identification and Risk Assessment for any Process - Is it necessary? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 22
Edward Reesor UDI (Unique Device Identification): HIBCC or GS1? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 31
R Identification of Medical Devices in MDD 93/42 Certificate EU Medical Device Regulations 2
L Managing Finance Processes - Identification of Sub Processes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
M Informational Is Identification of Risks and Opportunities required for QMS Processes? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 87
dubrizo Initial Supplier Identification, Review and Controls ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
H UDI (Unique Device Identification) Requirements for IVD Software EU Medical Device Regulations 2
A Receiving Goods Inwards - Identification Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 8
Pmarszal UDI (Unique Device Identification) Transition Period - Packaging Labeling Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
Q RFID (radio frequency identification) registration for Medical Device Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 6
B Class II Medical Device UDI (Unique Device Identification) Question(s) Other US Medical Device Regulations 8
A Is Risk Identification and Treatment a Process? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 25
D 820.120 UDI (Unique Device Identification) Labeling Verification Requirements Other US Medical Device Regulations 11
M Identification of Glass Instruments and Measurement Devices General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
A Identification of Customer Property: Customer-Supplied Thumb Drives & Ext Hard Drives ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
Z Failure Mode Identification in PFMEA according to AIAG FMEA Rev.4 FMEA and Control Plans 6
M Reagent Status Identification - 7.4.3 Verification of Purchased Product ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
Gman2 Identification of Raw Material being used In-Process ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
M Identification and labeling medical device replacement system components Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 12
L Identification of Inputs vs. Outputs in Design and Development (Section 7.3) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
T Implementing a Suspect Counterfeit Identification Program Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3