Identification of Waste - Is Packaging Waste?

D

duecesevenOS - 2009

I've had arguments about processes like this that a lot of die hard Six Sigma guys would call waste in every single case. I hate blanket statements like that.

In my very unqualified opinion, you have to tie all of this back to your customer. Does your customer require the packaging? If the customer requires the packaging, then it's not a waste because it is part of the process of supplying the customers specifications. Many labels and ingredients instructions are required by the customer and the product would be worthless without them. If the packaging is also part the marketing of the product then it is adding value. I don't see many companies out there eliminating there marketing departments because they are waste.

If all the packaging does is protect the product while it is moved from place to place, then it is a waste (probably a necessary one but...). If you can eliminate the process without devalueing the product, then it's waste. Would your customer be happy to have all of the parts on their facility (or wherever) out of the package and ready to use?

In many cases packaging is doubly wasteful because it will also introduce waste to your customer in the sense that they have to remove the packaging before they can use it.

C

Chopaid

If your customer pay for packaging -- Value Add

If not, please find another way to protect your products or service

It's my simple understanding

Top Bottom