Identifying Business System Processes

D

DrDoc

Process Identification

Hello!

First time user of the Cove (great help to me already).

My company is just starting the implementation process to TS16949. We are a QS9000 certified supplier and have been since Aug 1998.

My questions revolves around identifying process in our business system and what is the best way to handle this task.

I have seen several threads describing COPS and the 10 primary processes (Market Analysis,Bid/tender,Order Request, Product/process, Design, Product/process Verification and Validation, Product Production, Delivery, Payment, Warranty/service, Post Sales/customer Feedback).

My questions are:
1. Do we need to identify/map more than just the 10 COPS and their interaction?
2. If we do, how detailed should we be?
3. How will this affect auditing (internal & 3rd party)?
4. When implementing a system - is it best to complete gap analysis using teams comprised around departments (Production/Marketing/Customer Service etc...) or around clauses and processes?
5. When auditing for processes - is that based off of the identified and mapped processes in our system?

I guess my main concern is that if we make teams and build the system around processes (rather than departments) - will that make the system harder to audit/maintain?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. :D

S

Sam

My questions are:
"1. Do we need to identify/map more than just the 10 COPS and their interaction?"
Identify only those processes that receive a direct input or furnish a direct output to the customer.

"2. If we do, how detailed should we be?"
Level of detail is whtever you decide.
AIAG has an excellent "free" process flow tool for identifying processes. If you are just now beginning I would try it. Go to their website and download.

3. How will this affect auditing (internal & 3rd party)?
I don't understand your question

"4. When implementing a system - is it best to complete gap analysis using teams comprised around departments (Production/Marketing/Customer Service etc...) or around clauses and processes?"
I found the "Gap" analysis to be a complete waste of time. Use the AIAG Quality system checklist and the process flow tool.

"5. When auditing for processes - is that based off of the identified and mapped processes in our system?"
Yes use the processes you have identified, also audit for processes that that you may have missed.

"I guess my main concern is that if we make teams and build the system around processes (rather than departments) - will that make the system harder to audit/maintain?"
I think it makes it easier.

D

DrDoc

Thanks for the feedback Sam! I found the AIAG form from an earlier thread you were part of.

So just define the Processes that affect the customer - that helps. How many processes do you have defined at your facility? Did you get much beyond the 10 COPS?

I'm not quite understanding the comment about "also audit for processes that that you may have missed". If I haven't identified them - how do I make an audit schedule around them? I assume you mean that if I find processes I missed while auditing - write up a new map and put it in the system.

I just want to make the process mapping and overall auditing of our systems efficient. I am worried that I will get bogged down into too much detail about our processes and end up having to schedule and maintain 35 audits when I could worked it out in 15. :bonk:

Top Bottom