SBS - The best value in QMS software

Identifying Changes and Revisions in QMS Documents - 4.2.3.c Requirements

N

nixnine1

I have a question concerning section 4.2.3.c, identifying changes and revisions. We have begun working for an ISO company which has their QMS in place. We are trying to adapt their system to fit us. We are not yet in production -- awaiting certification -- and have our primary audit soon.

I have found some people who state that a Change Brief/Log is required to be maintained to be in compliance with this section of the ISO standard. The company however tracks changes by noting them in the current revision. The changes are marked through if something is deleted, or written bold and underlined if it is something that was added and remains so until the next revision. And the next revision, the deleted text is removed, or the unscore is removed to make way for the next change.

Is this sufficient, or do we need an actual log to list each and every change in a document?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
Re: Documentation

Either method could be complaint if it is done well, and the records are clear. In fact, I personnally kind of like the method you described.

N

nixnine1

So even if we are only able to document the last change/revision we should be fine in that area?

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant

So even if we are only able to document the last change/revision we should be fine in that area?

No, you should keep each one of the mark-up documents, as a record of change, for as long as needed by your record retention list. I would keep it electronically for 3-5 years.

If you make 5 revisions, you should keep all five markups.

Re: 4.2.3.c Identifying Changes and Revisions in QMS Documents

I have a question concerning section 4.2.3.c, identifying changes and revisions. We have begun working for an ISO company which has their QMS in place. We are trying to adapt their system to fit us. We are not yet in production -- awaiting certification -- and have our primary audit soon.

I have found some people who state that a Change Brief/Log is required to be maintained to be in compliance with this section of the ISO standard. The company however tracks changes by noting them in the current revision. The changes are marked through if something is deleted, or written bold and underlined if it is something that was added and remains so until the next revision. And the next revision, the deleted text is removed, or the unscore is removed to make way for the next change.

Is this sufficient, or do we need an actual log to list each and every change in a document?
Not to derail the thread - but - if you are not in production, you may find that your Certification will not go well! You must have something to show an auditor that you've been implementing your processes for a while - sufficient to show that you are getting results. You can't be certified based on having 'plans'...:mg:

You may wish to clarify your situation...:agree1:

Re: 4.2.3.c Identifying Changes and Revisions in QMS Documents

To answer the question, I'd suggest using a document change form. This prevents the need for markups in documents, which many find totally confusing! Just as with engineering drawings, a change form, if circulated with the revised document can identify what's changed, why etc. This can be read, understood and then filed/discarded by the user without burdening them with a document which has one section growing like Topsy (the change history section)

The standard (assuming it is ISO 9001) is intentionally vague on the requirement. 4.2.3 c has two separate requirements. The first is that changes be identified. It does not say how to identify those changes. In fact, one could argue that based on 4.2.1 d, identification of the changes could be verbal (I don't think that would be a good idea). Since all of my docuemnts are electronic, I post the changes in the document properties section.

The second requirement is to ensure that the revision status is identified. In some cases, where I am working on drafts or rapid updates, I add the date and sometimes the time to the file name. When I am finished, I use the "Modified Date" as the revision number. My master list (not required, but helpful) would show the modified date as the current rev. A simple A, B, C would take up a lot less room, but to me the date is very important, so I use that.

I do have clients that use a change log and some have a revision/history log right on the documet itself. Using underscores, italics and bolding are decent ways of showing what changed as well, but they would require reading the entire document to find them. Also, how would you show if you added/chaged a graphic? With my method, however you would not necessarily know what changed just by reading the document. So there could be drawbacks in any system you decide. The important thing is you have to find some method that works well for you.

qusys

Trusted Information Resource

A method that could be shared that I have seen to be considered compliant with the requirements of ISO 9001 is to add vertical black bar on the left side of the modified or added part in a controlled document ( for instance a documented procedure) and add a brief explicative comment in the brief history of the revision on the foot of the laste pagae ( for istance : add new portion dealing with xxxxx in par. 4).
Hope this helps:bigwave:

N

nixnine1

We passed a stage 2 review yesterday but the auditor commented on the need to record calibrations/verifications. We have a calibration log with all the pertinent info -- item ID, criteria for acceptance, what standard was used to calibrate, dates of last and next, etc. -- just as the iso standard states. But the auditor suggested that we need a record of the actual results, the deviation, etc, which would be an electronic doc or printed form. I had not interpreted iso section 7.6 as such but he said it was a should be. So I am wondering if it is prudent to maintain a changelog nonetheless. We don't want to be buried in docs and the need to control them, but can 4.2.3.c be interpreted as a separate log?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Identifying Changes to Documentation - ISO9001 Clause 4.2.3 c ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
M Identifying Applied Parts IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
DuncanGibbons Best practice for identifying "items" of parts for DFMEA analysis AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
M Identifying Hazards - Risk management process ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 6
C Identifying and Controlling External Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
O Identifying KPI for AS9100 8.1.4 - Prevention of Counterfeit Parts - PCB assembly contract manufacturer AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 16
M Identifying Technologies for Non Destructive Examination of steel brazed joints Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
R Identifying internal issues.. at what level? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
D Identifying externally provided services referenced by IATF16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
Marc ISO 9001:2015 - Identifying interested parties, or stakeholders ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
B Identifying AS9100 for a Legacy Product Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
H Identifying Guidance on Medical Device Software Level of Concern for the EU EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S Identifying Objectives & Targets for Quality Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
J API Q1 5.6.1.2 (iii) Identifying how the supplied product conforms Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
A Identifying context for every process in an organization ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 43
T "Indication for Use" Identifying Specific Procedures US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
LRE67 Need help identifying this "thing" Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 9
Y Identifying lighting requirements for in house Calibrations General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
A Identifying and Tracking Customer Specific Requirements Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
P Identifying Medical Device Class and Applied Part IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
S Identifying gaps over ISO 13485 to be compliant to MDD 93/42/EEC requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 5
A Please suggest analysis for identifying the warranty Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
P Renault CSR - Identifying the difference between an ASES and ASAS-P Audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Q Identifying Critical Items and Key Characteristics - Product Realization Process AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
D Procedure for Maintaining Industry Standards and Identifying Revisions Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
S Identifying Processes in a Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Q Risk Factors Checklist identifying the Risks for meeting the Customer Indent AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
J Identifying version of Standards in Functional Specification of a New Device ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
K Identifying Required Testing to comply with IEC 60601 EU Medical Device Regulations 4
C Document Control and Identifying Distribution ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
H Identifying Potential Automotive Suppliers before Developing New Products Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
R Identifying procedures that are NOT required by ISO 9001 Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 17
J Help in identifying Legal and other requirements for Indian localisation Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 4
A Audit NC - Not identifying our Customer Specific Requirements - TS16949 (7.3.6.3) General Auditing Discussions 7
8 Introducing a Balance Line - Identifying potential future pitfalls etc. Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
V Identifying Significant Factors - Regression Analysis vs Correlation vs ANOVA vs DOE Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 7
F Requesting Help in Identifying Ford Suppliers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
A Document Control File - Identifying all documents which need to be controlled Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
A Identifying the Clean Room Requirements for a Medical Device in US and EU ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M Identifying Routine and Non-Routine Activities: OSHA OHSAS 18001 Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 6
E Developing the Essential Requirements Checklist - Identifying Requirements Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
E Identifying the Elements of Informed Consent expected by the IRB and FDA Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
F Identifying Calibration on Small Tools (Measurement Equipment) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
C Identifying Response Times for CAPAs (Corrective and Preventive Actions) Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
J Need help identifying nonconformities in internal audits Internal Auditing 2
A Identifying trends in QMS Nonconformities Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
B Looking for a Standard identifying SME's (Standard Measuring Equipment) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
C CB Client Contract Agreement - Identifying nonconformances - AS9100 Registrars and Notified Bodies 7
M Identifying Rework in Maintenance or Craftsman Operations Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 12
R Identifying "or equivalent" Test Equipment when written in a Procedure Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5