Identifying Processes in a Company

S

SybilleH

I have recently completed the Internal Auditing course and am not sure how to handle this one. Our registrar's auditor and the Lead Auditor who conducted the training were MILES apart on what should be identified as a process. Our auditor has "strongly recommended" we have no more than 8 or 9. The course instructor suggested 20 to 25 minimum!! They are so FAR apart - one is also telling me Management Review is a process, the other is not. My head is spinning and I would appreciate your feedback.
Thanks!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: Indentifying Processes

I have recently completed the Internal Auditing course and am not sure how to handle this one. Our registrar's auditor and the Lead Auditor who conducted the training were MILES apart on what should be identified as a process. Our auditor has "strongly recommended" we have no more than 8 or 9. The course instructor suggested 20 to 25 minimum!! They are so FAR apart - one is also telling me Management Review is a process, the other is not. My head is spinning and I would appreciate your feedback.
Thanks!
Hi SybilleH - welcome to the cove...

One can say "all work is a process". The question becomes what processes need to be documented in order to meet the requirements of a standard, or the needs of a business.
Looks like your auditor is saying he needs to see 8 or 9 documented processes to meet the requirements of a standard, where the instructor is looking for more (and probably being more realistic).
Do what meets he needs of your business.
ISO9001 only REQUIRES 6 documented procedures - but you will surely need more unless you are a one or two person shop.
I'm in a medium size medical device company and we easily have 100 controlled procedures and work instructions to satisfy ISO9001, ISO13485, FDA QSR, and customer expectations.

And Management Review is most definately a process - and a requirement of ISO even though it doesn't require a separate procedure, you have to cover the process inputs and outputs somewhere. In a minimalist system that might be in the Quality Manual, but more companies will have a separate procedure.

Big Jim

Super Moderator

Hi SybilleH - welcome to the cove...

One can say "all work is a process". The question becomes what processes need to be documented in order to meet the requirements of a standard, or the needs of a business.
Looks like your auditor is saying he needs to see 8 or 9 documented processes to meet the requirements of a standard, where the instructor is looking for more (and probably being more realistic).
Do what meets he needs of your business.
ISO9001 only REQUIRES 6 documented procedures - but you will surely need more unless you are a one or two person shop.
I'm in a medium size medical device company and we easily have 100 controlled procedures and work instructions to satisfy ISO9001, ISO13485, FDA QSR, and customer expectations.

And Management Review is most definately a process - and a requirement of ISO even though it doesn't require a separate procedure, you have to cover the process inputs and outputs somewhere. In a minimalist system that might be in the Quality Manual, but more companies will have a separate procedure.
Be careful. Procedures do not equal processes.

Big Jim

Super Moderator
Re: Indentifying Processes in a Company

Thanks!
The root of the problem here is that the term has never been well defined within the ISO scheme. ISO 9000 defines a process simply as activities that have inputs and outputs. That simple of a definition doesn't seem to meet what they are talking about in ISO 9001:2008 element 4.1.

Until ISO (or perhaps the committee that is responsible for ISO 9001) comes up with a better explanation, there will always be debate on this topic, or as I have said before, this ship will remain adrift.

It would seem that processes could be divided into two main categories, business processes and manufacturing processes. Element 4.1 seems to be talking about business processes, and I have started to hear that term quite a bit recently. Element 7.5.2 seems to be talking about manufacturing processes.

I would tend to agree with your auditor, that most companies can or have divided themselves into around eight or nine core business processes. It depends on how the company has structured themselves. There may be many additional activities (or sub processes) contained within the core processes.

I have seen companies that fall in line with you instructor, and have become tangled in the morass they have created. One defined over five hundred processes. They also had job descriptions with several hundred competencies listed for each position. I even saw a company that had a consultant that told him that his interaction process description had to be flow charted to the point that someone from the outside could walk in and function in any position. After four months of trying to create such a flow chart they dismissed the consultant. The results were page after page of detailed flow charting that took extreme concentration to follow.

Some people seem to read complications that don't exist into ISO 9001:2008, and the resulting boondoggle is nearly impossible to administer.

Some typical core business processes might be: Sales, Engineering, Purchasing, Quality Assurance, Production, Shipping/Receiving/Inventory, and Management Support. All of the other processes can be fitted into a framework of this nature.

In short, I side with the group that thinks your trainer is nuts!

qusys

Trusted Information Resource

Thanks!
Try to search the word "process" in the ISO 9001 standard and verify where it is reported the requirement to have it.
Jim well explained the fact that some processes are also formed of sub processes and it is up to the organization to set up ( identification with relationships among them) the processes needed for its own QMS. Sometimes to be more attractive for the organization , QMS processes can be seen as "business" processes. As to Management review , I think it is reductive to talk only about it. Par.5 of ISO9001 is extended to all responsibility of the Top mgmt for the organization's QMS and also the activities the mgmt carries out are finalised to gain solid results for the organization ( revenue) and continual improvement of QMS processes to better serve customers. Management review in itself is only of many activities that top mgmt shall do to meet ISO requirement. If you want to call it "process" it is ok the same, but do not complicate the system too much. Look at its effectiveness ( and efficiency) overall without stopping at formalism.

Last edited:

Kales Veggie

People: The Vital Few

Thanks!
8 or 9 could be too much. Both are wrong ! It should more like "activities" or task then processes.

The standard does not say anywhere how many you should have, you should identity them.

I am working with a 15,000 people organization and we have 6 standard processes. For one of the location (testing and validation) we have a few more identified.

Keep it Simple.

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Staff member
Super Moderator

Be careful. Procedures do not equal processes.
This is true. Procedures and work instructions document processes that an organization needs to keep consistent.
There are a nearly infinite number of processes that occur during a business day and we can't document them all.
One might call many of them sub processes or sub-sub processes, but a sub process in the big picture is still a process to the person responsible for it.
Thus the reason I have so many documented *processes*. I consider each one distict to keep it understandable to the guy on the floor manning a press brake. To me what he does is a sub-sub-sub-sub process of product realization. To him the work cycle of bending a part is THE process.

I won't disagree that a company can have a minimal number of major process broken down in to sub, sub-sub, sub-sub-sub processes but I think the OP is more concerned with what needs to be documented.

S

SybilleH

Thank you all for your comments. As I orient myself in "the Cove" I am seeing many posts dedicated to this subject. I appreciate all the feedback as well as the wealth of knowledge that is available here. The common theme is to understand what works for us and to ensure we are fulfilling the requirements of the standard. I honestly believe that a huge issue is some of the inherent ambiguity that exists when a document is written with such a diverse, multi-national audience. And I knew that - guess I was hoping for a simple answer.
Sybille

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Y Identifying measurable processes: How not to lose the forest behind the trees? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
R Process Auditing - Identifying/Monitoring "Key" Processes Sufficient? Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 5
R Identifying Outsourced Processes - Training, Calibration, Consulting - TS-16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
D Identifying Business System Processes IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
O Identifying Processes thru Work Instructions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M Identifying Applied Parts IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
DuncanGibbons Best practice for identifying "items" of parts for DFMEA analysis AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
M Identifying Hazards - Risk management process ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 6
C Identifying and Controlling External Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
O Identifying KPI for AS9100 8.1.4 - Prevention of Counterfeit Parts - PCB assembly contract manufacturer AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 16
M Identifying Technologies for Non Destructive Examination of steel brazed joints Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
R Identifying internal issues.. at what level? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
D Identifying externally provided services referenced by IATF16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
Marc ISO 9001:2015 - Identifying interested parties, or stakeholders ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
B Identifying AS9100 for a Legacy Product Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
Highground Identifying Guidance on Medical Device Software Level of Concern for the EU EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S Identifying Objectives & Targets for Quality Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
J API Q1 5.6.1.2 (iii) Identifying how the supplied product conforms Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
A Identifying context for every process in an organization ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 43
T "Indication for Use" Identifying Specific Procedures US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
LRE67 Need help identifying this "thing" Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 9
Y Identifying lighting requirements for in house Calibrations General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
A Identifying and Tracking Customer Specific Requirements Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
P Identifying Medical Device Class and Applied Part IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
S Identifying gaps over ISO 13485 to be compliant to MDD 93/42/EEC requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 5
A Please suggest analysis for identifying the warranty Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
P Renault CSR - Identifying the difference between an ASES and ASAS-P Audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Q Identifying Critical Items and Key Characteristics - Product Realization Process AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
D Procedure for Maintaining Industry Standards and Identifying Revisions Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
Q Risk Factors Checklist identifying the Risks for meeting the Customer Indent AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
J Identifying version of Standards in Functional Specification of a New Device ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
K Identifying Required Testing to comply with IEC 60601 EU Medical Device Regulations 4
C Document Control and Identifying Distribution ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
H Identifying Potential Automotive Suppliers before Developing New Products Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
R Identifying procedures that are NOT required by ISO 9001 Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 17
N Identifying Changes and Revisions in QMS Documents - 4.2.3.c Requirements Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 13
J Help in identifying Legal and other requirements for Indian localisation Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 4
A Audit NC - Not identifying our Customer Specific Requirements - TS16949 (7.3.6.3) General Auditing Discussions 7
8 Introducing a Balance Line - Identifying potential future pitfalls etc. Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
V Identifying Significant Factors - Regression Analysis vs Correlation vs ANOVA vs DOE Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 7
F Requesting Help in Identifying Ford Suppliers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
A Document Control File - Identifying all documents which need to be controlled Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
A Identifying the Clean Room Requirements for a Medical Device in US and EU ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M Identifying Routine and Non-Routine Activities: OSHA OHSAS 18001 Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 6
E Developing the Essential Requirements Checklist - Identifying Requirements Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
E Identifying the Elements of Informed Consent expected by the IRB and FDA Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
F Identifying Calibration on Small Tools (Measurement Equipment) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
C Identifying Response Times for CAPAs (Corrective and Preventive Actions) Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
J Need help identifying nonconformities in internal audits Internal Auditing 2
A Identifying trends in QMS Nonconformities Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1