IDEs and Clinical Investigators - Advice About Records?

What to do with site files when PI physically closes site and moves out of state mid study?

• Site should de-identify records and ship to the Sponsor (international).

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Find an Iron Mountain by investigator's site and keep them in the state, and away from Sponsor.

• Try to identify another MD familiar with research who will keep them.

• Something else - please suggest - no CRO involved.

• Do I need to re-consent all of the subjects?

• Total voters
Hello

I've been running an international IDE study for about 2 years. I'm the clinical lead. Trial involves subjects being treated with SBRT radiation with imaging timepoints at baseline, just prior to radiation, one after several weeks of radiation treatment, and final at 6 months past last radiation (about 8-9 months altogether).

One of my principal investigators (PI) just informed me that he's moving to a different state in the US. I told him to cease enrollment, and we're looking into whether any subjects will miss their 6 month imaging session (required by study, but not by standard of care). PI will inform the IRB. He's physically closing his practice, and there are no co-investigators.

My question is this: what do we do with the clinical study records, source data, and essential documents? I was told by our experienced regulatory person that they can't cross state lines (???) We've been monitoring 100% SDV the whole time. But, the site will close, so the records can't stay there. Do we inform PI to ship them to our company for storage? That seems weird to me. The records may not all be de-identified - we can ask them to do that. We're submitting to FDA in another year or so.

This hasn't come up in my 20+ years of research. Any advice gladly received - thanks.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

indubioush

Quite Involved in Discussions
Aren't the clinical study records already de-identified? Don't copies of them already go back to you for clinical data entry? I don't know what SDV means when you say you have been monitoring 100% SDV.

What is the PI doing with all of the other medical records in his care that are not related to your study? Seem like this might be a shared responsibility; however, you should have all copies of your clinical study records.

Watchcat

Trusted Information Resource
From 21 CFR 812.140:

(d) Retention period. An investigator or sponsor shall maintain the records required by this subpart during the investigation and for a period of 2 years after the latter of the following two dates: The date on which the investigation is terminated or completed, or the date that the records are no longer required for purposes of supporting a premarket approval application, a notice of completion of a product development protocol, a humanitarian device exemption application, a premarket notification submission, or a request for De Novo classification.

(e) Records custody. An investigator or sponsor may withdraw from the responsibility to maintain records for the period required in paragraph (d) of this section and transfer custody of the records to any other person who will accept responsibility for them under this part, including the requirements of §812.145. Notice of a transfer shall be given to FDA not later than 10 working days after transfer occurs.

This is from the regulations. FDA also issues guidances and information sheets that have additional information, but I've never heard of any prohibition regarding records being transferred across state lines, nor can I think of any reason FDA would have a problem with this.

The opinion of an "experienced regulatory person" who doesn't have a reference to back up their opinion has the same value as the opinion of an experienced plumber. The best opinion is FDA's own. You didn't say who holds the IDE. The IDE holder can contact the reviewing division.

However under the IDE regulations, the responsibility for the investigator's records lies with the investigator, so you might do well to contact FDA yourself:

Contact Us – Division of Industry and Consumer Education (DICE)
Bioresearch Monitoring Program Information

I would send an email explaining the situation, rather than trying to explain it over the phone. This is likely to be clearer and more convenient for FDA, and the response will give you documentation of FDA's advice.

Whatever you decide to do, I recommend that the IDE holder submit an information amendment to the IDE indicating where the records may be found in the event that FDA decides to inspect the study.

Aren't the clinical study records already de-identified? Don't copies of them already go back to you for clinical data entry? I don't know what SDV means when you say you have been monitoring 100% SDV.
we're going onsite to monitor the essential documents binder protocol versions, correspondence, ICF versions) and subject binders. That's part of the job. We are doing remote source data verification of every data point by having the site either provide a certified, de-identified copy of wherever that data is first recorded, or allowing us to zoom with the study coordinators and then they show the subject data in Epic. Hoping this makes sense - it's the binders that are the issue here. Imaging and metadata are also source.
What is the PI doing with all of the other medical records in his care that are not related to your study? Seem like this might be a shared responsibility; however, you should have all copies of your clinical study records.
Typically all of the original records stay at the sites until 2 years after submission of data to the Agency (to permit onsite inspections). I was taught (clinical) that FDA doesn't want sponsor to have sole copy of site data until 2 years after submission. So, just not sure what a good citizen is to do?

Should the practice hire a replacement MD in the specialty area, that might be a way forward. It's a good idea to ask about his other patients.

Thanks so much for your response!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Final FDA Guidance on IDEs for Early Feasibility Clinical Studies - 2013 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
B Is clinical trial necessary? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
P Brexit Germany - Import Medical Device For Clinical Study EU Medical Device Regulations 0
Watchcat REGULATORY WATCHCAT - De Novo Proposed Rule - Clinical Investigations Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
S Clinical Evaluation of equivalent device EU Medical Device Regulations 6
I France clinical trial requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 1
J Can we register non-device clinical decision support software under draft guidance? Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
N Pre-Clinical Performance Testing Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
S Summary of safety and clinical performance and Article 120(3) of the MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 4
J EU equivalent to Clinical Decision Support Software EU Medical Device Regulations 3
L Clinical evaluation plan EU Medical Device Regulations 13
M Procedure for clinical evaluation according to new MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 11
A Clinical Investigation - US/EU Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 5
D Clinical Trial for Medical devices in Canada Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
M FDA Requirements for Investigational Devices - Clinical Investigation & Shipping Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
A Qualification of clinical assessment scales EU Medical Device Regulations 1
I Foreign manufacturer: how to conduct Clinical Investigation? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
E ISO 13485 in Clinical Trial conduct: Applicable or No ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
L Clinical Trial and Finished Devices 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
shimonv Clinical evaluation report for class I device EU Medical Device Regulations 18
A Clinical assessment sample size - Medical device Class IIb implantable (93/42 directive) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
P GSPRs / Clinical Evaluation EU Medical Device Regulations 3
N Is there a need for clinical test of Class IIa products (for MDR)? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
silentmonkey Overall Benefit/Risk Analysis - Risk Management VS Clinical Evaluation ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
Q Summative Usability Evaluation Testing: prior or during Clinical Investigation? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 10
P Clinical Trial Requirement - No equivalent devices in the market CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
M Clinical Decision Support Software Question 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
S Regular updates of clinical evaluation report EU Medical Device Regulations 6
M Clinical Benefit of device that only aids in a process for managing or treating disease EU Medical Device Regulations 3
R Clinical accuracy and repeatability of IR(infrared) thermometer, no maximum error criteria is recommended in ISO Other Medical Device Related Standards 11
C EU MDR - Annex II 6.1 Pre-clinical and clinical data EU Medical Device Regulations 4
M Clinical Evaluation Benchmark vs. Equivalent EU Medical Device Regulations 2
D Classification of product for clinical trials EU Medical Device Regulations 14
D Deciding whether or not pre-market clinical investigation is required for low risk device EU Medical Device Regulations 5
S Australia TGA Clinical Evaluation Report (CER) Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
L Clinical research - Request from ANVISA ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 1
E Use of OQ cleared batch for stability and clinical study use ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
B Clinical Evaluation Expert Panels - MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Clinical Development Plan - Advice Requested EU Medical Device Regulations 11
T Clinical evaluation of a new medical device EU Medical Device Regulations 0
dgrainger Informational MDCG 2020:13 - Clinical evaluation assessment report template EU Medical Device Regulations 0
shimonv Minimum 60601 requirements for a clinical trial IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
S A clinical performance evaluation study with an IVD product as Investagional Use product - Clinical Monitor requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
J Need for a cleanroom in the manufacture of a medical device for a clinical trial EU Medical Device Regulations 4
R Impact of changing manufacturer post clinical investigation CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
C MDCG 2020-06 Clinical evidence legacy devices EU Medical Device Regulations 3
R Clinical evaluation without clinical data - MDR Article 61(10) EU Medical Device Regulations 9
M Clinical Evaluation Plan vs. PMCF Plan EU Medical Device Regulations 33
S Selling Clinical Practice Advice Other US Medical Device Regulations 7
S FDA's E submitter - For clinical electronic thermometer Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 6