Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

IEC EN 61326 Dated Standards - Dated standards for test protocols

Hi all,

EN 61326:2013 specifies dated standards for test protocols (e.g. IEC 61000-3-2:2005 - Limits for harmonic current emissions), but my test house has used newer standards (e.g. EN 61000-3-2:2014). They state "This standard specifies test methods by dated reference; however, on this project updated versions of the test methods may have been applied to maintain current with best EMC practices."

I understand their reasoning, but has any ever had any problems with this as it is technically a non-conformance to the standard?

Thanks all.

CharlieUK

Involved In Discussions
It's quite common - that way the lab only has to be concerned with one actual "test" standard (EN61000-3-x and EN61000-4-x series)

However....since the James Elliott case the European Commission has stated that undated referenced standards are no longer acceptable - because they allow the underlying requirement of a given Harmonised Standard to be changed without review of the Harmonised Standard - and now Harmonised Standards are essentially legal documents, you cannot have legal certainty from a document that can be changed (because the referenced basic standard has changed)

It might not matter, but if you are concerned, then you should instruct the lab to use the dated references in the Harmonised Standard - you are the customer afterall !!

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for the advice; I also got some feedback from UKAS to advise that they could see no issue with using the latest version of a testing standard to maintain state of the art.

CharlieUK

Involved In Discussions
It could be argued that it maintains "state of the art" , but the European Commission are not citing Harmonised Standards without dated references - as Harmonised Standards must be "fully applied" to get a presumption of conformity, you should be careful when deviating from a standard that includes dated references

Also, remember that UKAS are accrediting the ability of the lab to test against certain standards and how to address deviations from them - they do NOT assess or accredit CE marking

Top Bottom