If a company becomes TS 16949 certified does it still need ISO 9001 certification?

TPMB4

Quite Involved in Discussions
Simple question, IF you become TS 16949 certified do you still need ISO 9001 certification?

I'm just wondering that if you become certified to the automotive standard but your business also supplies to other sectors where ISO9001 is enough / needed, what is the status if only to TS 16949? I might be wrong and the case is that if you get TS you also get 9k by default. I somehow doubt that and fully expect a CB to charge for certification and auditing twice if you need both certs.

I can foresee a case with flow downs that a company needs both certificates to effectively operate in two different sectors. A possible burden for SMEs perhaps. Personally I think a move towards TS compliance without being compelled by customers is best even if you don't become certified. Then If certification is necessary then you go for it having done the work over time. From things I've read ISO 9k is 2/3rds of the way there anyway.

I'd be interested in views on this.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
F

FredWest

Re: TS 16949 AND ISO 9001

I don't see why both certifications would be necessary - TS covers most, if not all, of QS9001 and then some.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin

Simple question, IF you become TS 16949 certified do you still need ISO 9001 certification?
Keep in mind that ISO/TS 16949 certification applies only and must be limited to the manufacturing of automotive parts.

If you manufacture non-automotive parts, ISO 9001 (and potential certification) could be a proper path. Depending on how much integration you have between your automotive and non-automotive business processes, the ISO 9001 audit could be a significant effort, thus cost a decent amount.

TPMB4

ISO 9001 is added to in order to achieve TS16949 is how I understand how the two standards are related. My understanding is that TS 16949 is specific to the automotive sector in that it has been written with a view to automotive specific requirements. I hope I am not wrong in that.

If your business is half automotive and half in another, unrelated sector then by only getting TS16949 you could be seen by the non-automotive customers as potentially not meeting their quality needs.

I believe I am correct that TS is applying 9k to automotive and you need to be compliant with 9k to be capable of being certified to TS. However I wonder if you come up against customers who have it in their mind that they need ISO9001 in order to do business what then? I have worked in companies and come across others who see ISO9001 as the only standard in their world and would probably not know enough about TS16949 to accept it as a standard with equivalent or better status.

I wonder if this has been experienced by anyone on the forum? I could just be asking a hypothetical question that has never come up.

TPMB4

Sydney - We have ISO 9001 already so that is one thing.

However being new to Quality role and the automotive sector I've been learning a lot about TS16949. I say new to the sector I have worked for a company before in the automotive sector but in their non-automotive divisions and long time before the TS standard came out. My current employer could end up drifting towards TS certification, particularly down to customers kind of coaching us into it (kind of implied necessity but in a softly, softly way). However that could mean us losing the cert for ISO9001 if we can only get one (costs of keeping both going concurrently being prohibitive). I'm just trying to consider the implications to other business sectors. Being an SME our advantage is partly being diversified, but without ISO9001 that could perhaps be limited somewhat.

Just a question really, perhaps not for the forum but for the bosses here as it is a little specific to our company I suppose.

G

guruprasadb

TS 16949 standard is based on

ISO 9001 Requirements + Additional requirements related automobile sector (added clauses to ISO 9001) + CORE Tool requirements ( PPAP + APQP + FMEA + MSA + SPC) + Customer specific requirements

if we see TS 16949 standard Quote within the box is the requirements are of ISO 9001 & out of box are TS 16949 automotive sector requirements.

As per your industry processes, write down procedures , formats & manual
addressing common requirements like 6 mandatory procedures, 28 records etc ..... remaining as per automotive industry reqt

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
Re: If a company becomes TS 16949 certified does it still need ISO 9001 certification

The thing to understand is, if your system meets the requirements in TS-16949, it automatically meets all the requirements of ISO 9001. So, when you are certified to TS-16949, you are in effect, certified to ISO 9001 as well.

There are two problems:

1. Some customers do not understand this. A clerical person in Purchasing may see that you are certified to TS, but her procedure requires you to be certified to ISO 9001, and so she/he assumes you do not qualify and you do not get picked. Sometimes, explaining this to the prospect is sufficient, sometimes not. But, if you do not even receive the RFQ, then you don't even realize that you have been excluded.

2. Per the rules of TS, when we perform a TS audit, we are required to focus on parts that are in automotive scope. So, if you stamp brackets for automotive, and also for dishwashers, only the automotive parts will be audited by the TS registrar. Some non-automotive customers are ok with that, because they reason that the auditor audited the process, and the same process is applied to both parts. But, sometimes the customer does not always accept this or even understand it.

Now, you state that the cost of both is prohibitive. You should discuss this with your registrar. For example, I audit for Smithers Quality Assessments. We have this situation all the time, and there usually are no extra costs, if the scope is the same. If the client wants us to do a little extra auditing, to include some non-automotive parts, they just add a small extra amount - maybe a 1/2 day or 1 day, to the audit plan. In any case, it should not be double, or require an extra auditor.

Last edited by a moderator:

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Re: If a company becomes TS 16949 certified does it still need ISO 9001 certification

I also audit for a CB.
We also give the ISO9001 certificate for the same scope for free.
If your scope is say injection moulding or precision grinding then this scope is audited in the TS audit.

If you want to add widgets to the scope than another 0.5 days looking at the production is enough.
If anyone quotes differently to to get another quote

Needs Scope Clerification For ISO Certificate

We have two units in single premises. One unit is certified for ISO 9001:2008 certification & suppling to Agriculture & Constructions sector.Other unit is manufacturing the Gear components ISO/TS 16949 certified suppling to Automotive sector.
Recently our corporate office has taken decision to make the merger of two units in single.
We have following queries:
1. Can we put both units scope under single certificate.
2. How will be the documents.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Quality's Authority - Company Moving In ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
J Validity of CE mark on distributed product when company ceases trading EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M Must a company be 17025 accredited to perform internal calibrations? ISO 17025 related Discussions 7
S Business Number versus Company ID? Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
M Transferring ISO 17025 from one company to another ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
P Audit check for IT company (ISO 9001) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
lanley liao Does all of the suppliers need to integrated into the supplier list qualified of the company? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
F IVD registration in EU - Northern Ireland based company EU Medical Device Regulations 0
W Where does a coatings and paint company fall in IATF? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
A AS9100D - Clause 8.1 Operation - Coating service company AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
O Informational Ford Motor Company Customer Specific Requirements for IATF 16949:2016 - 08 Jan 2021 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 0
L Have been purchased by a corporate company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
R Advice needed: Shall I report my not complying company to NB / competent Authority (Europe) EU Medical Device Regulations 6
lanley liao What shoud i do if our company top management has been changed. Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 8
S Malcolm Baldrige Company Dashboard Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
T IATF Rules for sharing production space with another company IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
J Leveraging another company's ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
R MDEL and company affiliate Canada Medical Device Regulations 0
E Our company is planning to file MDD not MDR next month. Do we require to show chemical characterization report ? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
S Is QMS like a set of rules and regulations that a company follows? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
E Contract manufacturer FDA requirements foreign company US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
J How much to charge for helping a startup company with initial ISO 13485 certification? Consultants and Consulting 3
J Sister-company providing parts is only ISO 9001 registered IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
D IATF 16949 Requirement for CMMI in a Global Company Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 0
T Help to Suggest name for a new certification and inspection company Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
M Address change for a company with CE/ISO13485 EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M IT validation for a paper based MD repair company QMS ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
M QMS for a repair/servicing company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
C Internal Audits in a tiny Dx Company Internal Auditing 33
T ISO 13485 - 5.5.1 Responsibility and authority - Small Company Independence ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
F Quality manual for trading company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
L Implementing the PRRC role in a company EU Medical Device Regulations 8
BeaBea ISO 9001 Customer Feedback Methods - What has worked for your company? Service Industry Specific Topics 17
M Customers Request AS9100 certification - Small Company (less than 20 employees) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
U Document Approval - Software company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
T EQMS for small medical device company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 18
qualprod Corona virus Contingency plan - What have you done in your company? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 25
Q Must product name be listed the same name in FURLS, UDI, GUDID and Company Website? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
E Sharepoint for ISO 13485 QMS for small IVD company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
N Small Company - Internal audit process - Who does the audit? Internal Auditing 16
Z 510(k) usage - Company has 2 physically similar products Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
Q Company Ownership Change ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
L Contracted Manufacture Company wanting to be able to design and manufacture own product. 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
D ISO9001 for one man company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
T Client Communication - SaaMD company Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
R Notified Body for MDD 1Q20 - Florida Company Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
E In need of a new TGA sponsor - Small software company Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
F ISO 17025 8.8 Internal Audits in a segmented company ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
E Company A supplies pharmaceuticals to the MOI - Who is responsible? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
J Quality Assurance in China - Developing a quality management system for a California company Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 9