If GM and/or Chrysler go under... What about replacement parts and dealerships

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
If GM and/or Chrysler go under, how do you think it will affect the availability of replacement parts and such? What will happen to existing dealerships?

Your opinions?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
T

Ted Schmitt

I don´t think they will go under... GM is the biggest corporation in the world (last I checked).... if they go under, then the world crisis will get REALLY BAD !!

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Probably not, but in today's world I won't bet either way. This is just a hypothetical 'what if' question, mostly aimed at GMs US operations.

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Trusted Information Resource
Overheard at a GM dealership when I went with DS to buy a car in December:

"We'll just become a used car dealership, that is where we make our money anyway, the markup is much higher on used vehicles."

Not really directly in answer to the original post, but interesting nonetheless.

C

Craig H.

If GM and/or Chrysler go under, how do you think it will affect the availability of replacement parts and such? What will happen to existing dealerships?

Your opinions?
I don't know exactly why this is, but there are a lot of companies that produce reproduction GM parts, so I don't think it will be much of an issue (that said, when I was in the body shop business in the early '80s, you had to be careful with sheetmetal). For Chrysler, though, non-pentastar Chrysler parts can be hard to come by. I never really understood the reasons for this.

M

MIREGMGR

The majority of GM parts and sub-assemblies are made by suppliers. In most cases, GM owns the tooling that they use, but the suppliers hold and maintain that tooling.

Of course, the tooling could be "clawed-back" by a bankruptcy court and then scrapped for its metal value. That would be legal but dumb, since the netted cash would be minimal. Or, a bankruptcy court could say to a given vendor, you're a member of the Unsecured Creditor Class, so you have to pay $X right now in lieu of a percentage of any future revenue you might generate with the tooling, to be divided among other members of the Unsecured Creditors pool. My guess is that this approach would be unlikely, because few of the suppliers could afford it and therefore no one would get any benefit.

Thus probably the tooling would remain with the present suppliers of the parts, who would be able to build parts to GM-purchase-order specs under their own name, or the name of some new GM-service-parts distributor.

Another possibility is that, even in the instance of a Chapter 7 or 11 bankruptcy, the court would immediately split-off GM Service Parts Operation into a separate business, provide it with sufficient funding, direct that it remain in business under the control of a court referee, and give that referee powers to take over existing vendor relationships (but not their payables), take over pieces of existing POs, and otherwise conduct business so as to maintain parts and service-training availability.

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Another possibility is that, even in the instance of a Chapter 7 or 11 bankruptcy, the court would immediately split-off GM Service Parts Operation into a separate business, provide it with sufficient funding, direct that it remain in business under the control of a court referee, and give that referee powers to take over existing vendor relationships (but not their payables), take over pieces of existing POs, and otherwise conduct business so as to maintain parts and service-training availability.
Good thoughts! :agree1: With the notion that the Feds are going to assure GM and Chrysler warranties, either they will strong arm the suppliers to make spare parts (if they took a supplier bailout, that won't be much of a problem - see Mr. Wagoner) or not pay attention to the court as they pull the molds and dies, and find themselves asking for a dry well and wring their hands a lot. I could see either happening. Don't forget - there is always China. They will make anything.

After watching the Wagoner, I think more suppliers will just ponder bankruptcy themselves, further complicating the scenario.

Hey, do you thing we will be sending PPAPs to the Feds?

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
My opinion would be that the parts would now become spares from the actual suppliers that made them. The dealerships, well they may have to find another type of vehicle to sell. Maybe the Automakers that survive.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Marc Fiat Chrysler merges with PSA Group, owner of Peugeot and Citroën - Oct 2019 World News 0
L IATF 16949 8.3.3.2 FCA (Fiat Chrysler) Specific Requirements - Examples of AQR and MPFMEA Service Industry Specific Topics 1
M Chrysler is requesting a "Torque Strategy" for all Fastener Joints FMEA and Control Plans 7
M Anyone familiar with FGP procedure 24? (Chrysler Fiat) APQP and PPAP 3
R Fiat Chrysler Automobiles US LLC Customer-Specific Requirements - Dec 2014 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
xfngrs What is Chrysler's AVOB? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 4
M Chrysler PSW Sign Off when your product is rated low risk in CQMS IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
O Where Can I Get Chrysler Standard MS-JE5000? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Q Chrysler required FMEA and Control Plan Document Audit Forms and Process Audit Check FMEA and Control Plans 7
L Chrysler's Supplier Request for Engineering Approval Form Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
V Where to get MS501 Chrysler Specifications APQP and PPAP 3
C Chrysler Quality Definitions? Chrysler has identified six types of quality Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
Sidney Vianna New Chrysler Specific Requirement Document for TS 16949 and ISO 14001 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
xfngrs Chrysler Laboratory Requirements Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
A Does anyone know what a SRVA is? Chrysler is asking for this for tooling Customer and Company Specific Requirements 7
B TS16949 Annual PPAP Submission Requirements for Ford and Chrysler Parts IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
S Chrysler CSR for use with PPAP 4th ed July 2011 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 0
M Chrysler, GM, and Ford Tooling Records Requirements - What are Tooling Records? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
C Chrysler Customer Specific Requirements Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
Stijloor Chrysler minivan plant in Windsor to be idled for parts shortage.. World News 3
L Chrysler Specific Requirements - CQI-14 Warranty requirements Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
M Tracking Absenteeism - Chrysler requirement? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
P New Chrysler CSR (Customer Specific Requirements) - June 2010 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
E Wall Chrysler's NCT System training manual Customer and Company Specific Requirements 2
H Chrysler PPAP - where to get started?? APQP and PPAP 6
D Chrysler Clause 90 Packaging Specification Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
A PSO & PPAP Which one? Chrysler Submissions Customer and Company Specific Requirements 6
Marc Chrysler to cut 800 dealers on Thursday World News 1
Stijloor Chrysler Bankruptcy Plan Is Announced World News 20
Q Checklist for Customer Specific Requirements (CSRs) for Delphi/Visteon/Chrysler/GM IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
bobdoering Buyers shun GM, Chrysler as rescue draws focus World News 30
M A PSO is Chrysler - Is PSOMAS a typo? APQP and PPAP 8
Marc GM and Chrysler offer buyouts to all hourly workers World News 3
Stijloor Chrysler LLC shuts down its plants for a month. World News 6
J Chrysler Gage Buy Off Check List Customer and Company Specific Requirements 2
J Chrysler Gage Standard - Gage standard for all Tier II stamping gages Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
Stijloor G.M. and Chrysler Explore Merger World News 12
J Chrysler Customer Specific Requirements - When to notify the registrar IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
antoine.dias New Chrysler customer specific requirements - Sept 2008 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 0
K Chrysler requirements for First Piece Approval IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Stijloor Chrysler names Denso its first 'Supplier of Choice' World News 1
N Chrysler mandated LPA, Subjective Questioning, Appeal to Nobler Senses Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 1
K Where do I access DCX Standards referenced in Chrysler Catia notes? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 8
L CQI-12 Internal Audit required by Chrysler - What if we're late? General Auditing Discussions 7
C Does TS still apply for Chrysler and Daimler IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
T Is Chrysler ditching Powerway Customer and Company Specific Requirements 7
Stijloor Chrysler's Campi (new purchasing boss) will move fast to buy global. World News 11
R Chrysler CSR November 2007 - Internal Audit Requirements Customer and Company Specific Requirements 35
J What is meant by number of "items"? Chrysler Layered Process Audit Question Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 10
Stijloor UAW-Chrysler contract ratification in trouble World News 0