If you get laid off this Friday, what's next?

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit

1. Are you ready to negotiate for severance pay?
  2. Negotiate for good [great] references?
  3. Do you know how and where to apply for unemployment compensation?
  4. Do you know how much you will get in unemployment pay?
  5. For how long?
  6. Do you have to demonstrate an effort to get another job?
  7. Do you know what kind of free or subsidized training or schooling is available?
  8. What kind of counseling is available to help you search for openings, rehearse for interviews?
  9. Do you have someone you trust and respect to review your resumes and cover letters?
  10. How's your personal network?
  11. Who and what kind of references can you get?
  12. Do you have any idea what skills and experience you have which will be valuable to the next employer?
  13. Why? (How do you know what the next employer will need or think is valuable?)
  14. Are you desperate? (Desperate people are usually vulnerable to scams and exploitation by unscrupulous employers.)

So why did I start this thread?
I am amazed I hear from so many folks who have been laid off in the last six months who claim the layoff came as a big surprise. Hello!? In this economic climate, those who aren't deploying Deming's theory about the System of Profound Knowledge (SoPK) are making themselves vulnerable to just that sort of surprise. You owe it to yourself and family to learn as much as you can about your organization, the bosses, the products, its competitors, where it fits in the supply chain, how healthy its customers are, how healthy its suppliers are, how it stands with government regulators. You especially need to know where you stand with the bosses who hold your future at your present organization in their hands. If things seem to be going south in your organization and your bosses are leaving you out of the loop, you are vulnerable. This is NOT the time to hunker down and try to be invisible - invisible people are the easiest to let go because there are no emotional ties.

Action by readers:
What are you, personally, doing to insulate yourself if your organization seems bent on "right sizing" the operation?

If everything you learn in SoPK points to your termination for whatever cause, you should have a good "what if" plan ready.

Randy

Super Moderator

Probably Afghanistan. I ain't 60 yet, I'm retired Reserve and I have multiple MOS skills.

Believe it or not it's an option I've seen others in my category taking. I'm in DFW Airport weekly and I talk to grey headed old poots like me and it's what they have done.

W

wmarhel

All good points Wes. It because the unexpected can sometimes happen and derail our career plans, that as individuals we must take charge of our own destiny. It isn't wise to expect to work at a company for 10-20 years anymore.

To add to the points Wes made, anything you'd like to have from the company: references, access to resources (perhaps a research library) should be negotiated before you sign anything. Once you sign, they are under no obligation for anything than what is stated in your package.

Regarding your network, if you fail to develop and maintain it over time; don't be surprised if doesn't help you when you need it most. It isn't like the mafia where you do a favor and then expect a favor.

Wayne

W

wmarhel

Probably Afghanistan. I ain't 60 yet, I'm retired Reserve and I have multiple MOS skills.

Believe it or not it's an option I've seen others in my category taking. I'm in DFW Airport weekly and I talk to grey headed old poots like me and it's what they have done.

Hey Randy....Don't you sleep? I'm in Narita Airport, Japan. At least I have an excuse for posting so late. :)

Wayne

P

Polly Pure Bread

Good thing I started saving money early and I make it a lifelong habit. With discipline, unwavering determination, relentless drive, positive attitude and a little knowledge about personal finance at least I am prepared and I have a peace of mind. Saving for the rainy days will spare my family from huge financial losses and ensure our survival in times like this.

H

Howard Lee

Well Wes, we've had this discussion before and my answer is pretty much the same. The world as I've known it has ended before, at least twice, and each time I've learned more and become more resiliant and resourceful.

My home is paid for and it's all mine, as is my pickup. The only debt that I have is some student loan. Last October when things started to look bad at work I decided to go back to school at night and finish my degree and when I enrolled in night classes my student loan was automatically deferred. If I'm laid off Friday, I won't have to dig up a box to pay the fall tuition on my own. Speaking of digging up boxes, I had nine months gross wages stashed around my property but last month I bought a tractor and now I only have about four or five months worth left. Still, that is enough cash to sustain me and my wife for a couple of years, being that I learned to live on nothing back in the nineties, which were really bad to me.

Having lost everything that was important to me before has given me a sense of freedom. I know what I have and I know what is important. And I know that if everything goes bad in the morning and I am still breathing I will go on and prosper again. Someone once pointed out that I am a great survivor and I corrected them. "I do not survive, that is just getting by. I thrive!!!" One of the paradgms I shifted.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Well Wes, we've had this discussion before and my answer is pretty much the same. The world as I've known it has ended before, at least twice, and each time I've learned more and become more resilient and resourceful.
[SNIP]

Someone once pointed out that I am a great survivor and I corrected them. "I do not survive, that is just getting by. I thrive!!!" One of the paradigms I shifted.
Yep, Howard. I often cite your story [not your name] when giving "pep talks."

I, too, have often used variations of
"Strive to thrive, not just survive!"
in my presentations.

I have another I've been using for over 30 years:

Personal success and satisfaction can be summed up in ten two-letter words:
"If it is to be, it is up to me!"

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator

My nephew (18 years old) just left today for Afghanistan. He'll be a postal worker at an Air Force base for the next year.

Top Bottom