If you had 1 minute with the CEO to answer - Why is quality good for the company?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Re: If you had 1 minute with the CEO to answer the question

Why is quality good for the company?

How would you answer?
I can't imagine myself being in the presence of a CEO (or any other sentient being) who didn't know that quality is a good thing, and I wouldn't want to work for one who thought that I might not.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin

How would you answer?
It really depends on what the CEO understands as quality. If s/he misperceives quality as inspection, paperwork, bureaucracy, you would need much more than a minute to correct the misperception.

If s/he understands the big Q in quality, I would simply state:

Quality is doing the right things right; every time. Which leads to higher profits, repeat customers and a fulfilled workforce. If s/he is still unconvinced, you know s/he is truly CEO material...:mg:

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit

How would you answer?
I hear this question frequently from top managers when I am consulting with organizations. I've never been able to boil it down to a sixty second "elevator speech."

I do have a "comeback" statement that I use:
"Actually, YOU are the one who can provide the answer to that. First answer these two questions:

1. Which is more important in your company - instant profit or long-term profitability and increased growth?
  2. Are you more interested in delivering lowest price for your company's goods and services OR delivering best value?"

Usually, they reply, "What the hell does that have to do with quality?"

And then I have my opening:
"Everything! Let's take some time to discuss how it all comes together. It will take more than sixty seconds. After all, how would you feel if an expert could come in and solve all your problems in sixty seconds? I imagine it might damage your own self-image."

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Staff member
Admin

I can't imagine myself being in the presence of a CEO (or any other sentient being) who didn't know that quality is a good thing, and I wouldn't want to work for one who thought that I might not.
There are one heck of a lot of them out there that speak the words, but short term profit is at the top of the agenda whether they will admit it or not.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin

There are one heck of a lot of them out there that speak the words, but short term profit is at the top of the agenda whether they will admit it or not.
But there are none of them who don't understand that good things are good and bad things are bad, greed notwithstanding.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Staff member
Admin

But there are none of them who don't understand <snip>
I wouldn't bet on that. "None of them" is something difficult to prove. I do believe there are many people, including top level CEOs that do not really understand the concept of quality. And I also believe that having a quality product doesn't mean a company will succeed in the market place against a company which has a poor quality product. Advertising alone can make a success of a company which sells poor quality (in relation to the quality of another company) products.

Not a big deal, Jim. I'm just saying that I know business people who really do not care about 'quality'. But then, what is 'quality' to one person isn't necessarily 'quality' to another person.

J

JaneB

Now that, I think, is THE best answer. Totally agree. :applause:

Chennaiite

Never-say-die
Trusted Information Resource

How would you answer?
It is as good and functional as wheels are for the Cars. Without Wheels(Quality), the Vehicle(Company) cannot move forward and fit for nothing even if it accomodates a best-in-class Engine(Design Function) and a smooth Transmission(Manufacturing Function).

Trivial questions can only have a silly answer like this one.:)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Marc 15 minute Top Management presentation on ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
A 6S 5 Minute Audit Sheet to guage if a Workspace is Safe and Ready to Go Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
Marc New Folks - Please Take a Minute & Introduce Yourself/Say Hello! (8/2010 to TBD) Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1625
P SMED - Single Minute Exchange of Dies template (tabular column) wanted Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 8
P SMED (Single Minute Exchange of Dies) - Project guidelines/ example required Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
A CQE Exam Prep - Do you have any last minute study tips for me? Professional Certifications and Degrees 19
J Pronunciation of SMED (Single Minute Exchange of Dies) Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 10
U Five Minute management Course Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
S Single Minute Exchange of Dies (SMED) Information Manufacturing and Related Processes 17
A Can single minute exchange of dies concept be used in office? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 8
A Can SMED (Single Minute Exchange of Dies) be applied to office environment? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 18
H Five Minute OHSAS 18001 Presentation for Top Management Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 11
D Standardized Work in High Speed Process - 350 Parts per Minute Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 5
C 1 hour minimum change over to 3 minute change over, (still in testing) Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 8
D Toyota SMED (Single Minute Exchange of Dies) Clarification Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 12
P Single Minute Exchange of Dies and Rollfeeds - SMED in press shops Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
D Single Minute Exchange of Die - Preparing to launch a SMED project Manufacturing and Related Processes 14
G New Folks - Please Take a Minute & Introduce Yourself/Say Hello! (2009 - 8/2010) Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 573
T Why do most companies have Quality reporting to Engineering or Operations and not to CEO? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 45
P Can CEO perform internal audit Internal Auditing 11
G QMS - Selling the idea to the CEO! Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 8
R Should the CEO Need a Job Description? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Wes Bucey Are you nice? Interview with a CEO Career and Occupation Discussions 9
E Is it Possible to Exclude Top Management (CEO, Chairman) in the QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
F Management Involvement / Commitment - CEO involvement in the certification process ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 36
Ajit Basrur The CEO Story Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
Sidney Vianna A New Era of Sustainability - UN Global Compact?Accenture CEO Study 2010 Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 6
S How would you live with a suspicious CEO Career and Occupation Discussions 5
R Looking into the eyes of your company's president, CEO, or boss Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 16
P Preparations for an interview with a company CEO Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 7
H Top Management and CEO - What questions will be asked during audit? General Auditing Discussions 4
T Absent CEO - My CEO and Engineering Manager have been laid off ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Marc Ford CEO gets $28M for 4 months work World News 15
Marc Oil Company CEO Pay Averaged $32.7 Million in 2005, Study Says World News 2
C Letter to your CEO on Quality The Reading Room 32
Marc Keep Your Resume Accurate - Lying on Resume cost CEO his job and $25.1 million Career and Occupation Discussions 3
B Preferred methodology for internal audits - CEO says we're spending too much time Internal Auditing 8
Marc Want to get raises? Become a CEO Career and Occupation Discussions 19
Jim Wynne How to become a CEO Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 9
Marc Nice job if you can get it: CEO compensation jumps 30% in 2004 Career and Occupation Discussions 0
sonflowerinwales To implement IS14001 or not - Just been asked by my CEO Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 34
C Jobs Outsourcing and CEO Pay Raises World News 5
I Auditing the CEO - How? What should our Internal Auditor ask? Internal Auditing 6
E CEO Involvement - How far do I go with insisting that they attend meetings, etc? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 22
M Discussing Quality Objectives with a new CEO - What would YOU ASK? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 5
Marc COO - CEO -- Who's Responsible? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
V Internal Audit of CEO or MD, not MR Internal Auditing 1
M How to answer ISO9001:2015 audit finding of old revisions of documents being used? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
M Definitive answer on Type 1 vs Type 2 vs Type 3 Gage Study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
qualprod ISO 9001 - 9.3.2 c) 7 is answer for 8.4.1? Performance of external suppliers ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9