Ignoring a Failed Gage R&R and upcoming external audit

Question 1
I recently completed a variabe Gage R&R (per the Control Plans) for the company I work for and it failed badly (October 2018). I was requested to review old Gage R&R data dating back to 2006 and found the same Gage R&R - the 2006 Gage R&R passed. We will be submitting the 2006 Gage R&R to the TS auditor and for the time being - doing "nothing" about the 2018 failed Gage R&R - perhaps review in Q2 2019.

TS auitor will not be notified of the above.

Does the above violate anything.

Question 2
Also - is there an issue with submitting to a TS auditor a 2008 Gage R&R and not latest Gage R&R (2012) simply because the 2008 has a conclusion/writeup and the 2012 Gage R&R does not?

The TS auditor will not be notified of the above.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
Question 1 I will leave for the many covers that actually audit for a living. Question 2 is really a matter of ethics. Have you considered handling it in a different manner? Such as acknowledging the issue, performing a risk assessment and developing a remediation plan?

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
Why did one pass and one fail? Sounds like the second one was different -- parts, fixturing, people, etc. You should be able to determine the difference.

try2makeit

Quite Involved in Discussions
I'm surprised that a 2006 Gage R&R went this long without anyone raising any concerns. I would find out why it failed, document it, fix it and perform another.

The overall issue is not why it failed (however - it failed this year because people/lack of training).
- I am being told to flatout ignore the 2018 failed Gauge R&R / do nothing to correct it and present the 2006 Gauge R&R.
- We received a major nonconformance for not doing a large sum of the Control Plan Gauge R&R's last year.

The same auditor from last year will be here this year.
1. Can we receive another major nonconformance for this?
2. Or, is this beyond a major non-conformance?
3. Does this violate anything?
4. Any Lead Auditors - how would you react

Experience shows there's a good chance of you receiving a major. Let's face it, the CBs are under pressure to elevate such situations to STOP the risks of poor product getting to the plant and into the market...

try2makeit

Quite Involved in Discussions
You received the major because they where mostly not done last year. The auditor will follow up on the effectiveness of your corrective action plan. If you show they have not been completed again this year, your corrective action was not effective. And that will be another write up with the possibility of being elevated.

Complete all Gage R&R's and address the issue of training the people performing them, test them and show the auditor. Redo the failed Gage R&R's. As long as you can show no defective product was shipped to the customer due to this, it should be fine or just garner a minor on Training.

I wouldn't use old data. This would just get you into more hot water if the auditor finds out.

Golfman25

I agree. The auditor will update last years findings and check corrective actions. If it's not kosher, you'll get two findings -- one on the gage R&R and one on the corrective action system. It is easier to fix now, then go thru the CA process. If the issue is employee training, I would get them trained (ie; show them how to do it) and then run the gage R&R again. I can say that it happens a lot -- try one way, fail, adjust, fail, adjust again and pass. Good luck.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Already covered by the three above...but worth saying again...

The overall issue is not why it failed (however - it failed this year because people/lack of training).
The overall issue is, indeed, not why it failed.
It is also not what happens in the upcoming audit.

The overall issue is THAT it failed...using the folks who measure your parts for acceptability testing.
For whatever reason, training or otherwise...you are risking sending bad parts to your customer...that is the overall issue. Any findings stem from that core issue...a responsible company cannot ignore this.

We received a major nonconformance for not doing a large sum of the Control Plan Gauge R&R's last year.

I wrote you a finding last year for not doing an updated GRR...I look to see if you've addressed it and you show me another old GRR showing me that you ignored my finding last year...this is definitely "beyond" a major. I would worry about your cert staying in place, your system is broken and you're trying to hid it instead of fixing it. Not a wise choice, not a responsible choice.

Mr.Ruiz

Starting to get Involved
- I am being told to flatout ignore the 2018 failed Gauge R&R / do nothing to correct it and present the 2006 Gauge R&R.
- We received a major nonconformance for not doing a large sum of the Control Plan Gauge R&R's last year.

1-Yes, per the Ninja, Golfman25, try2makeit and Andy N responses.
2-Yes as has been told by our colleagues.
3.Ethics, and jeopardize your Corrective Action, your GR&R system and proves a lack of good QMS.
4- Take the advise of all of the guys.

If I found that your measurement system did not pass. rather than ask you why you are hiding it, I would consider to check for your deviation and containment processes.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Ignoring portions of GGG-P-463c is "globally" practiced? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
D Transformation of Data Normality Failed Using Minitab Software 11
C TL-9000 Certifying Body Issue - Auditor failed to find an issue for 10 years TL 9000 Telecommunications Standard and QuEST 16
A Failed the AS9120B Exam Twice.....Need Help AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
S FDA electronic submission gateway (ESG): FAILED eMDR Submission Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
Q How to manage with customer % failed product ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
D Will A Few Failed Solder Joints Make Me RoHS Non Compliant? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 9
R Registrars offering to perform Second Party Audits - Have they failed their role? Registrars and Notified Bodies 105
N Final Inspection Retesting for Failed Batches Nonconformance and Corrective Action 6
S Statistics and Sampling - Accounting for Failed Tests Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
D Failed 350-018 exam Professional Certifications and Degrees 3
G Gage Recall Analysis - Threaded Plug Gage has failed Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
P Is it necessary to perform Root Cause Analysis for each failed part? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 16
S ISO/TS 16949 In Doldrums - Just failed disappointingly in the ISO9001 System Audit General Auditing Discussions 7
Q Micrometers to Measure Coating Thickness - Failed Calibration Flatness & Parallelism General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
I I failed my CQE Exam Professional Certifications and Degrees 21
S Heating Test Failed - Capacitor in secondary exceed its rated temperature IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
Marc A NASA Failure Analysis of the April 28 2010 failed balloon launch World News 0
Moncia Traceability System to trace Failed Product for Corrective Action ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 38
Marc Saturn: Why one of Detroit?s brightest hopes failed World News 4
R My C=0 sampling failed to detect parts are out of round Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 20
S Supplier Development Process failed - Question regarding sub-suppiler audits IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
J Canadian Medical Device License Requirements - What if we failed to meet it? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
M Readiness Review Failed - Stage one audit for TS16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
Marc Has an Implementation by a Consultant EVER Failed? Consultants and Consulting 62
E Jumpstarting a Failed System ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
M About companies that have failed a surveillance audit Registrars and Notified Bodies 2
A Employee Support after Failed Promotion - Feelings of rejection, disillusionment, etc Career and Occupation Discussions 1
A Failed Re-Certifications - 9th Cycle Survey posted on the ISO website Registrars and Notified Bodies 2
P Thread plug gauge failed calibration - Must I remeasure everything measured with it? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 23
S Failed Calibration - Plain Plug Gages - They grow! General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 24
B Gage calibration frequency, ISO and IATF - What are the requirements Calibration Frequency (Interval) 3
R Determining Uncertainty from Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
C Correct Calibration Method for Dial Depth Gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
C Gage Block Wringing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
B Gage R&R with NDC=1 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 19
S Type 1 Gage R&R or something else? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 6
G Should I perform Gage R&R only at the beginning of a new project? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
V Thread Plug Gage Pitch GO Diameter out of spec AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 8
G Gage R&R - Where am I going wrong? Part of a FAIR submission (Aerospace) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
R Gage R&R Excel templates Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
K Gage R&R with more than 3 appraisers Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
Anerol C Gage R&R Template AIAG 4th Edition IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
T Attributes SPC study - Attributive control (Go gage) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
S Capability or Gage R&R Study for Leak Tester? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 15
N % Tolerance - Type 1 study on the gages, then a gage R&R (ANOVA) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
M Definitive answer on Type 1 vs Type 2 vs Type 3 Gage Study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
V Gage Management and Gage R&R Software General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
D Gage R&R Study on Load Cells - Large chemical blending tanks IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
B Minitab Type 1 Gage Study on True Position Question Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1