ILAC Regulations - Expression of Units on the Calibration Certificate

MetroBioCen

Involved In Discussions
Hello

We have been given the task of investigating all matters relating to the ISO 17025 accreditation of ourcalibration laboratory and in conversation with some other colleagues a doubt has arisen.

Is there any ILAC regulation stating that results of measurement on a Calibration Certificate must be expressed SI units?

For instance. The Calibration Certificate of a thermometer graduated on ?C should have the measurements in Kelvin?

Any help regarding this most welcomed

Thank you very much in advance

Best regards

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

dgriffith

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hello

We have been given the task of investigating all matters relating to the ISO 17025 accreditation of ourcalibration laboratory and in conversation with some other colleagues a doubt has arisen.

Is there any ILAC regulation stating that results of measurement on a Calibration Certificate must be expressed SI units?

For instance. The Calibration Certificate of a thermometer graduated on ?C should have the measurements in Kelvin?

Any help regarding this most welcomed

Thank you very much in advance

Best regards
A quick read of ISO 17025 suggests that no such requirement exists for that document. Whether 17025 must be compliant with any ILAC requirements, I don't know. But if it does then by inference ILAC has no requirement either.
I don't have access to any ILAC documents except P14. I don't see it in there, either.

Measurements must be traceable to the SI, but I don't see where the reported calibration units must be SI units.
In fact, the documents speak about units that are not themselves directly traceable to the SI, and how to handle them.

*If you are seeking to create an ISO 17025 accredited lab, then you should buy a copy of 17025 (and study it) and reach out to prospective accrediting bodies and get some advice from them.

Last edited:

dwperron

Trusted Information Resource
I looked at the available ILAC documents, and I cannot find any ILAC requirement to report calibration results in SI units.

You should check with your accreditation body, I believe in your case it is the National Accreditation Body of the Republic of Cuba (ONARC), to see if they have any specific requirements regarding reporting results in SI units. Most accreditation bodies have their own rules that you will need to follow above those of 17025 and ILAC.

dgriffith

Quite Involved in Discussions
Wondering if this wouldn't fall under agreed customer requirements. I suppose if they wanted units reported in millstones per fortnight, they could have it. The lab, however, may have to keep a record internally in compliance with accr. requirements.

MetroBioCen

Involved In Discussions
You should check with your accreditation body, I believe in your case it is the National Accreditation Body of the Republic of Cuba (ONARC)
Indeed it is (ONARC), I'm searching for their normatives right now, but up to this moment I have not found anything related with this matter. I keep searching.

Thank you all very much for your answers.

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Staff member
Super Moderator
Short answer is no, ILAC and the Recognized Region for the Western Hemisphere, IAAC, do not require it. It actually goes by economy and/or customer needs. For example, in the US temp can be expressed in either C or F. Uncertainty is sometimes presented in K, but generally even the uncertainty will be the same unit as the main result.

If Cuba uses metric for normal activities in the economy, then you likely will report in metric. Also, if you report only in metric, you don't need to be concerned about conversion calculations, and neither does the customer.

Hope this helps.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Sidney Vianna Informational IAF and ILAC Seek Contractor for Establishment of a Single International Organization for Accreditation ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 2
dinakim_zv CB report or ILAC-MRA report ISO 17025 related Discussions 11
Sidney Vianna Informational IAF and ILAC to merge. A Global Accreditation mammoth? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 1
Hershal ILAC is preparing to start the possible revision to ISO/IEC 17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
4 Understanding ILAC policy P14:12/2010 6.3 part a) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 28
S Peer Review using ILAC-G11 as Criteria ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 4
K Any Information on April ILAC 2012 meeting? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
Jerry Eldred New ILAC Requirements Regarding Repeatability - Your thoughts on this please Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 11
DietCokeofEvil ILAC-g8:03/2009 - Reporting Results with Measurement Uncertainty General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
M ILAC p14:12/2010 - Accredited Calibration Certificate Uncertainty General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
Hershal ILAC P14 and its implications General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
Sidney Vianna IAF and ILAC World Accreditation Day ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 0
C BMU=CMC for every Calibration? ILAC Policy Clarification Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
Sidney Vianna ILAC & IAF 2009 meeting - 11 days long! ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 3
A ILAC explanation - IEC60601-1 testing certified by an A2LA laboratory IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
Hershal Congratulations L-A-B and PJLA - Signatory status - ILAC Resolution GA12.03 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
Marc Definition ILAC - the International Laboratory Accreditation Cooperation Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 0
Marc International Laboratory Accreditation Cooperation (ILAC) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
D Accreditation Scheme:relationships between ANSI, NIST, NCSL, ILAC, APLAC, NCCLS, etc. General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
N Where to find Regulations for Reprocessing and Reuse of Single-Use Devices Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
C ISO 13485 :2016 - CAPA - Does every CAPA need to be checked by regulations? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
F Change to Formulation due to Reach (China Medical Device Regulations) China Medical Device Regulations 0
7 Iraq Medical Device Chemical Regulations Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
T Conflict Mineral Regulations Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
M Is There a Revision History or Change Log for Canadian Regulations? Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
J Interesting Discussion Compliance with regulations in exceptional circumstances EU Medical Device Regulations 5
M Status of Medical Device Regulations in UK Post-Brexit Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 10
G App - Local regulations applicable EU Medical Device Regulations 2
Pmarszal External Standards and Regulations Management Process Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
M Advertising medical devices in the U.S - Advertising regulations or guidance documents Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
T Confirming The Local Safety Regulations for Equipment - I'm in Malaysia General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
Q Regulations for Medical Device Kit for Training Personnel? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
J Medical device related standards or regulations - Disposed records log ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
Q Interpreting China Medical Device regulations/standards China Medical Device Regulations 1
M Informational EU – EMA revised guidance – Questions & Answers on Implementation of the Medical Devices and In Vitro Diagnostic Medical Devices Regulations ((EU) 201 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
M Informational EU – Manufacturer incident report (MIR) for serious incident- template 2020 (Directives and new regulations) version 7.2 and related documents Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
P Is there a counterpart to the General Safety and Performance Regulations for the USA? Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
M Informational Update – MDR and IVDR implementing measures rolling plan – 2 more NBs designated under the new regulations Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
L Staying up to date on Regulations Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 8
M Informational TGA – European implementation of Medical Device and IVD Regulations – Implications for Australia Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
S Mammography standards or regulations for radiology software (no hardware)? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 0
Marc Problem with 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) sub-forum link - 2 May 2019 Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 1
K CE mark transition and new regulations CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
M Informational Commission Regulation (EU) 2019/319 of 6 February 2019 amending previous regulations as regards health certification at import into the Union concerni Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational USFDA – Radiological Health Regulations; Amendments to Records and Reports for Radiation Emitting Electronic Products; Amendments to Performance Stand Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M End of Life or Device transfer regulations for Legal Manufacturer Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
F Assignment of Special Characteristics to government regulations IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
D Documentation requirements for the new Medical Device Regulations (2019) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
M Medical Device News EU – Transition Timelines from the Directives to the Regulations – Medical Devices and in vitro Diagnostic Medical Devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 13
N Per the FDA regulations can a medical device be class I despite that it is sterile? Other Medical Device Related Standards 4