I'm required to conduct weekly training but I'm burning out - Your ideas?

S

shadowjack

Hello from Oregon. Don't know if this is going to work or not but thought I'd give it a go.
Short bio: I'm a lead for a pretty good sized co. manufacturing parts for the trucking industry. Currently using QS9000 ( I know thats going to change) and I'm required to conduct weekly training. I'v been at it for a year now, but I'm starting to really burn out on this.:bonk: ANY ideas on how I can keep this stuff from getting any duller than it alredy is?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Duller for you or for the folks you're training?

What different training classes do you do?

S

shadowjack

Admited already, I'm burned out. And everyone has picked up on that, and it just goes downhill from there. This is important for my co. and for everyone involved. But the same problems keep popping up, FAI not done, in-process inspections not done, bad parts processed to completion, etc. So I'm not getting the message across. This isn't just a personal issue, it is across the board, on both shifts. I'm looking for some way to emphasize just how important this is, managment is expecting positive results and I'm trying to comply.
Training BTW is 30 min. once a week, usually fri at 11pm. I keep track of trends that I've noticed during the week, and then try to address issues according to what QS9000 says about proper procedure. But as alredy stated, we seem to go over the same issues.
Thanks for responding, I appreciate it. Gotta go to work now, I'll check back in tomorrow am.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Staff member
Super Moderator
Some good training topics on inspection:

1. Red Bead Experiment (takes at least 45 minutes though)

2. The Visual Perception Video (this one is really good and a very short exercise)
http://viscog.beckman.uiuc.edu/grafs/demos/15.html BEFORE you watch the Demo, you need to be aware that the task is to count the number of times the players in the white shirts pass the basketball from one person to another.
PAY ATTENTION TO THE BASKETBALL! Then, after you think you have the count, go back and watch the video a second time. See description at http://www.viscog.com/ We bought a copy of the DVD here at Fluor and have gotten a lot of mileage from it.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
shadowjack said:
...the same problems keep popping up, FAI not done, in-process inspections not done, bad parts processed to completion, etc. So I'm not getting the message across. This isn't just a personal issue, it is across the board, on both shifts.
I think this is the main aspect of this thread and it's a hard one to address. It sounds like it's less the training than people simply not doing what they are supposed to do. I've seen it and it's typically a 'company personality' issue. I've seen some companies where it was next to impossible to get people to complete shift forms, for example. It wasn't a matter of their not knowing what their responsibilities were, it was an 'attitude' issue.

Is this what you're experiencing?

Sambasi

Involved - Posts
I think this concerns OJTand the training is imparted on the basis of work instructions.I had included the following at every step:-

The consequences of not doing a step in WI correctly to(1) process.
(2)product and (3) internal /external customer. The operators are taken to next process (internal customer) and are shown the problems.

This helped.The training is repeated after occurence of non-conformance and corrective action in the process.

harry

Super Moderator
Hi Jack,

If you are the trainer and you felt like burning-out, its usually a sign that the trainer himself needs training or retraining.

Adult training is a very different ball game. The lower down the rung the trainees are, the less is their attention span and other abilities and it can be a nightmare for trainers.

Having said that, are you sure you are prescribing a correct solution to your problem? FAI not done, in-process inspections not done ...........etc, etc. These are disciplinary and attitute problems. Can training help to over come them?

To me its a big NO. Maybe others would like to share their views.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
Welcome to The Cove! :bigwave:

At this point, to continue flaying at subjects as though people don't know them well enough may do damage in a variety of ways:

1. Sends the message they are not well enough trained after all this time--perhaps a lack of confidence in their competence, ability to learn or caring.

2. Hints that perhaps the trainer is not performing well enough--why else wouldn't they "get it" yet?

3. Maybe they are feeling they are being preached to.

4. You are possibly feeling the training effort is futile and resent having to keep after it. It is very difficult to train effectively when one feels this way!

May I be so bold as to recommend you stop training now?

I suspect you've hit a wall and there is something else afoot here. It may be time for some heart-to-heart talks with these production people, and learn what they really think. But be ready if they are brave enough, or angry enough to tell you what you don't especially want to hear!

The problem might be complex and festering like a deep wound that never got treated adequately, like an adversarial feeling in a patriarchal organization.

Or the problem might simply be untidiness in work procedures (written or not). You may need to do some 5-S and 5-W to solve some conflicts and reveal need for changes that actually address the problem and not its symptoms.

I have placed a paper about this in The Reading Room: When Employees Don't Follow Procedures. You might want to look at it before planning your next move.

I hope this helps!

Last edited:

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Energize it - Training with impact

From time to time, I am also an instructor. What I find most useful in order to get and keep people's attention is to relate REAL WORLD problems to the issue at hand.
Since you are doing internal training and the problems keep popping up continually, at every single session, you tell them the data of the previous week. remind them of the potential consequences of mistakes, both for themselves, the organization they work for, their customers and, MOST IMPORTANTLY, the end users. Don't forget to use financial figure$ to show your point.

You have to remind yourself that there is a purpose for the training. You HAVE TO BELIEVE in it. When you stop believing what you are trying to convey is meaningful, you can not energize the crowd.

Another suggestion. If you are conducting your training, class-room style only, mix it with some time on the floor. Take the people to their working stations and SHOW them the problems. Just being in their own environment seeing first hand the consequences of their mistakes can help.

If your company has a quality policy, remind them what that means and how they have to support it.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
A couple of points which strike me as I read this thread:
  • Is there a large turnover in personnel? Otherwise, continual training is not the norm in most industries.
  • Do you have an opportunity to have some "gurus" review the work instructions to see if they may be off the mark? (Gurus could be some folks at local ASQ section, regardless whether you are an ASQ member. If you are a member, most other members will help out as a "professional courtesy." If not a member, expect to pay a few bucks, but be sure to get recommendations from Section Chairman as to who to ask.)
  • The time (Friday, 11 pm) is horrid! Even I never paid attention to anything at school on Friday before a weekend - I was too busy daydreaming about the coming events.
  • As some have said (and more will chime in as time goes by) - training adults requires some special skills along with good curriculum materials. Even the best of us get stale and can benefit from a refresher in "how to train."
  • I do not agree with folks who say repeated nonconformance is a discipline problem. As even casual Cove visitors know, I am a confirmed Demingite and can tell you truthfully the only times I have seen direct sabotage by more than one individual (when said individual was angry, crazy, or both) is when there is a major situation involving employee/management relations and sabotage is usually an open secret among ALL the employees.
  • A little smart "root cause investigation" will soon uncover the truth if the sabotage is purposeful.
You wrote
But the same problems keep popping up, FAI not done, in-process inspections not done, bad parts processed to completion, etc. So I'm not getting the message across. This isn't just a personal issue, it is across the board, on both shifts. I'm looking for some way to emphasize just how important this is, managment is expecting positive results and I'm trying to comply.
There are "mistake proofing" methods to help eliminate or at least drastically reduce such lapses. This sometimes requires a fresh set of eyes to see opportunities for process changes which will alleviate some of these.

All in all, I suggest the major problem is burnout from not having some fellow professionals on hand to work through some of the problems you are encountering. Most consultants who specialize in mistake proofing can usually find opportunities for worthwhile changes in almost EVERY organization. It does not mean the organization's staff and management are stupid or incompetent, merely that they have not been exposed to intensive training in mistake proofing.

My further guess is that with a rewording (maybe pictures?) of the work instructions and some added mistake proofing to the processes, the nonconformances will dwindle, as will the need for weekly "training."

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Is IEC 60601-1-2 required by FDA for all electronic medical devices? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
B Where to acquire EN 868-5 required dye (Amaranth red)? Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
Marcel DS How do I know if my product is required be RoHS certified? REACH and RoHS Conversations 6
K When is Bioburden Testing Required? Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
G Is repeatability required for equipment calibration? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
D Device functionality over service life - Objective evidence required? Design and Development of Products and Processes 10
M Quality management certification required by Health Canada Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
N Usability testing required for FDA IDE (investigational device exemption)? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 3
M Case study solution help required as per ISO 9001 : 2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
R Shall a new UDI-DI be required when stand-alone software device's version is updated? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A Question on ISO 14001:2015 - Are annual audits required? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 8
M Is Validation of Plating Processes required and who is responsible? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 11
MDD_QNA Medical Device Software - Is a Help Button required? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
O ISO 13485 - Is management review required before stage 1? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
D Recent changes to ISO 14971 - SOP required for managing standard revisions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
Jane's Like-for-like critical raw material change qualification - type of testing/ number of lots required ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
V Manufacturing requirements for respiratory ventilators - clean room required? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 6
A When there is a 2 year lapse in production, is a full FAI required? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
C Is it required to put"Rx only" on the home page of an app? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 4
B IEC 60601-2-10 - Accuracy of Pulse Parameters - Required Measurement Uncertainty IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
S Is Optical Parallel Set required calibration? ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
R Is it required to have an SOP for external audits? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 7
M MDR - Is a formal GSPR Procedure required? EU Medical Device Regulations 20
M When is FAI required? AS9100 8.5.1.3 and 8.4.3 requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
B IATF 16949 - Is a Deviation required for sample components in a prototype build? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
J MDD to MDR transition - Time required for the implementation of the MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 7
Robert Stanley Required Documentation Templates ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
M ISO 9001:2015 8.2.1 Contingency Plan required for small Business? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
M MDR - Under what circumstances is a PMCF not required? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
B AIAG-VDA FMEA - When the new format will be required FMEA and Control Plans 5
MrTetris Are GLP required for testing cytotoxicity and soil remaining after sterilization of MD? Other Medical Device Related Standards 8
Z EN 868-8 "required tests" - Rigid sterilization containers Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
D Design Verification - Is testing required? Design and Development of Products and Processes 5
M User manual / instructions for use for class II device always required? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
A Calibration required by OEM General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
S How many mandays required for the below mentioned standards IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 3
S Examples of software changes that required a 510k US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
D Required Checklist Showing Compliance to IEC 62304 IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 11
C ETO Sterilised Class II Medical Device - Required Temperature Storage ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
P 21 CFR 807.81 When a premarket notification submission is required Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
D Are medical device companies required to document every change made to their website? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
D How to Identify the Risks and Opportunities required for QMS Processes? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
A Glass and brittle plastic Policy - Required per FSSC 220002-4? Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 0
S Is a specific day required in an expiration date? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
T MDR Adverse Events Assessments - What qualifications are required? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
S Is Annual QMS Training Required? ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
M EU Basic UDI-DI Trigger Points - When is a new Basic UDI-DI required EU Medical Device Regulations 3
GreatNate Document Control info - What is required on a controlled form/document for ISO 9001: 2015? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
I QMS documents required at each stage of Software development IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
P UDI-PI and the MDR - Is the UDI-PI required for all devices/classifications? EU Medical Device Regulations 8