SBS - The best value in QMS software

I'm trying to write detailed Customer Service Work Instructions

B

biboy2012

So, I'm trying to write detailed customer service work instructions, as instructed by my boss, for the following medium:

- Telephone
- Email, letter
- Walk-In or face-to-face

For example, telephone….

1. Picks-up phone or answers calls not more than the third ring.
2. Keep automated voice messaging system on during breaks (e.g. lunch, after office hours etc)
3. Utilizes a script for answering the phone
4. Takes down the customer's name, contact numbers, requests, inquiries, or complaints.
And so on

How did I do/doing so far?

Please help me in coming out with an idea.

Thanks for any help Cover's.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: Customer Service Work Instructions

So, I'm trying to write detailed customer service work instructions, as instructed by my boss, for the following medium:

- Telephone
- Email, letter
- Walk-In or face-to-face

For example, telephone….

1. Picks-up phone or answers calls not more than the third ring.
2. Keep automated voice messaging system on during breaks (e.g. lunch, after office hours etc)
3. Utilizes a script for answering the phone
4. Takes down the customer's name, contact numbers, requests, inquiries, or complaints.
And so on

How did I do/doing so far?

Please help me in coming out with an idea.

Thanks for any help Cover's.
Keep going and show us the final product! :D

Stijloor.

B

biboy2012

Stijloor.
Thanks, Sir. I will post the final product once it's finished, but I need suggestion/help on the following specific points:

- Building rapport
- Dealing with difficult calls
- varying vocal pitch

How 'building rapport,' 'varying vocal pitch,' and 'dealing with difficult calls' tasks should be worded and integrated in a work instruction? Can anyone give me sample statements of said tasks?

Writing just isn’t my thing.

harry

Super Moderator

These are my views:

1. With regards to service standards such as time to pick up calls or to respond to emails and letters, check with your bosses. They have to set it either unilaterally or in consultation with the relevant people.

2. With the regards to the when, where, who and how to's, discuss with the process owners or those involved. The worst thing to do is to shaft something alien down their throats - worse than canned solutions.

B

biboy2012

These are my views:

1. With regards to service standards such as time to pick up calls or to respond to emails and letters, check with your bosses. They have to set it either unilaterally or in consultation with the relevant people.
Agreed.
2. With the regards to the when, where, who and how to's, discuss with the process owners or those involved. The worst thing to do is to shaft something alien down their throats - worse than canned solutions.
I think that's true. But our feeling is that, documenting this is necessary because there is a risk involves and we want this be performed in a consistent manner. Yes, I will consult the 'activity owner' as a user, and of course, the work instruction should come from firsthand knowledge of the activity.

Pancho

wikineer
Super Moderator

Thanks, Sir. I will post the final product once it's finished, but I need suggestion/help on the following specific points:

- Building rapport
- Dealing with difficult calls
- varying vocal pitch

How 'building rapport,' 'varying vocal pitch,' and 'dealing with difficult calls' tasks should be worded and integrated in a work instruction? Can anyone give me sample statements of said tasks?

Writing just isn’t my thing.
We have a "phone etiquette policy" document that touches upon these points. All new hires get to go over it during their HR introduction to the company. FWIW, here's an excerpt from it to get you going:

5. Managing rude or impatient callers

• Stay calm. Be diplomatic and polite. Irritation will be detected and further annoy to the caller.
  • Always smile. Always show a will to solve the problem or conflict, and provide your best answer to their questions.
  • Try to think like the caller. Their problems and concerns are very important.
  • Do transfer the call to your boss when the caller insists.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
I am wondering why such things as "answer the phone before the third ring" must be written down in instructions. If a phone is ringing and the operator is not occupied, does he or she wait until the 4th or 5th ring to answer? Or, is the operator already busy and is thus unavailable to answer right away?

My point is, instead of listing such requirements attend to the reasons why they are not yet met well enough.

In addition, as a person who calls my internet host provider for technical assistance I am always happy if that person is NOT using a scripted process. I am best served when that person is knowledgeable in the applications and is a good communicator, a good problem solver and has a pleasant demeanor when dealing with me. This is especially important because I am calling because I am not very smart in the subject at hand... much patience is needed. :D

harry

Super Moderator
I am wondering why such things as "answer the phone before the third ring" must be written down in instructions. If a phone is ringing and the operator is not occupied, does he or she wait until the 4th or 5th ring to answer? Or, is the operator already busy and is thus unavailable to answer right away?

My point is, instead of listing such requirements attend to the reasons why they are not yet met well enough. ......................
You brought up an interesting subject especially in areas where English is a second language.

1. I think the written guide, script or whatever you call that is usually applicable to the telephone receptionist (operator) who are normally given some other duties on top of answering incoming calls. The written guide reinforces the importance of giving priority to incoming calls.

2. You will be surprise how people fumble and with all kinds of broken English when receiving calls. A typical untrained receptionist's response to a call over here is something like this - Call who?.................. Not in. (Bang). Many just don't have enough nice words in their vocabulary that scripts need to be given. Over time, they may not need them anymore.

B

biboy2012

My point is, instead of listing such requirements attend to the reasons why they are not yet met well enough.

In addition, as a person who calls my internet host provider for technical assistance I am always happy if that person is NOT using a scripted process. I am best served when that person is knowledgeable in the applications and is a good communicator, a good problem solver and has a pleasant demeanor when dealing with me. This is especially important because I am calling because I am not very smart in the subject at hand... much patience is needed. :D
You have a very good point, and I understand every word you said. However, my boss wants us to craft a well-written script. Reasons are something like what Harry said -
You brought up an interesting subject especially in areas where English is a second language.

1. I think the written guide, script or whatever you call that is usually applicable to the telephone receptionist (operator) who are normally given some other duties on top of answering incoming calls. The written guide reinforces the importance of giving priority to incoming calls.

2. You will be surprise how people fumble and with all kinds of broken English when receiving calls. A typical untrained receptionist's response to a call over here is something like this - Call who?.................. Not in. (Bang). Many just don't have enough nice words in their vocabulary that scripts need to be given. Over time, they may not need them anymore.
If anyone can think of any other problems with not using a script, then chime in!

B

biboy2012

Stijloor.
Here is the final product:

1. Answer the call within 3 rings.
2. Use the proper greeting.
- [company's name], this is [employee's name], how may I help you?
- [Dept], this is [employee's name], how may I help you?
3. Sought permission before putting on hold.
- "I'm sorry to keep you witing" (if more than 30 secs)
- "Thank you for waiting" (if less than 30 secs)
4. State/mention caller's name at leas once.
5. Before ending a call, ask:
- "Is there anything else I can help you with?"
- 'Thank you for calling [company's name!]"
6. Allow the cller to hang up first.
7. Conditions:
- If called party is not around:
"I m sorry but Mr/Ms is not available at this time, this is [name], how may I help you?"
- If called party is on the other line:
"I am sorry but Mr/Ms [name] but Mr/Ms [name] is engaged on the other line, are you willing to wait or would you like to leve a message?"
- When transferring a call:
"One moment please, I will transfer your call."
8. How to answer/make calls?
- Take a deep breathe
- Modulate your voice
- Voice with a smile
- It's always your best call
- Be smart, professional and have personal touch
9. Handling objections:
- Hear them out
- Emphatize
- Apologize
- Take action
10. Be nice to your customer

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Skooma Receiving Inspection - Boss trying to save money AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
M Error trying to Start a New Thread Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 2
N Student trying to apply Lean Six Sigma on a Construction project in my thesis Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
S Beginner trying to OEM a medical device - Branded Electric Acupuncture Pen EU Medical Device Regulations 3
K Trying to figure out what satisfies a few aspects of IEC 62304 IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
I Trying to explain some of the Management Review Inputs (AS9100D) Management Review Meetings and related Processes 10
S Trying to understand 7.2.1(d) of ISO 13485 - Medical Device User Training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
M Help trying to explain accuracy procedure General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
A Supplier trying to avoid RMA's Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 11
K Auditors are trying to drive this business General Auditing Discussions 36
P Value Stream Mapping - Trying to do Value Stream Mapping of our Products Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
M Trying to take current documentation and put it into ISO forms Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
J Trying to determine whether a steel plate is bowed with a Faro Arm Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 8
Mikishots Trying to locate a LEGIBLE MIL-STD-105E copy Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
A Trying to fit a GLM - Minitab 16 negative Error df Using Minitab Software 4
2 Trying to Implement a Manufacturing Engineer Concept to my Company Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
P Trying to figure Minor ? on Female Rolled Threads Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
E Our Lean Initiative Manager is trying to eliminate Final Inspection Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
Jen Kirley Trying to back up a dead hard drive - how to do it? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 17
D Medical Device Packaging - Trying to learn Technical files EU Medical Device Regulations 4
Jim Wynne The Buell Blast: Trying to Make Chicken Salad out of Chicken Poop Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
A A Quandary - Trying to do everything on a shoestring - Out The Door Numbers Career and Occupation Discussions 11
J Measuring Technique - Trying to measure on-time delivery turnaround Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 13
W Controlled Documents - Trying to differentiate document control levels Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
R Trying to decipher drawing - Hole Size Manufacturing and Related Processes 12
A CFO trying to turn Quality procedure for Purchasing into a purchasing manual ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
N Cost of Rejected Components - Trying to pokayoke a process Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
O ANOVA Analysis - Trying to understand MSA analysis- Please review my spreadsheet Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 22
R Trying to develop ISO 9001 training for a newly certified company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
S Trying to find the actual ISO 17025:2005 standard requirements ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
H What I am trying to find is someone that remembers Memphis in the nineties Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 10
V Minitab Pareto - Trying to plot a relation of Count and Cycle Time Using Minitab Software 5
L Kanban cards - Trying to initiate a true Pull System - Fastener Products Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
ScottK The Berry Amendment (Imposed by 10 U.S.C. 2533a) for DoD parts - Trying to decipher Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 7
J Food Allergen Awareness Training - Trying to implement cGMP Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
T Internal QMS/ISO 'Contest' - I am trying to come up with a new awareness contest ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
B Attribute MSA calculation - Trying to find a form or software Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
J Analysis of Service life, Design life and Storage - Trying to find an example report Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
Marc American alligator vs. Burmese python - Python Bursts After Trying to Eat Gator Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
P Trying to automate analyses of data from production process using Quality Analyst Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 1
C CE mark - Trying to determine if our product needs CE approval CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 8
S Novice quality manager trying to get AS9100 certification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 32
G Trying to find CAS numbers - The Database of chemical substance information IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
C API Q1 Quality Manual Example - Trying to convert an existing ISO 9001 QMS Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 30
G I am Lost - Trying to implement an ISO 9001:2000 QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
M BMW and MG Rover Customer Requirements - Trying to make a matrix Customer and Company Specific Requirements 6
R Trying to find an ISO 17025 accredited testing laboratory to verify our test results ISO 17025 related Discussions 14
J Electronic Signatures - We're trying 1" x 5" Digital Sign-on Pads Like UPS's Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 14
Gman2 Automotive PPM Requirements - Our customer is trying to demand a 100% 0 defect rate IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
T PFMEA for Heat Treat Service Provider - Trying To Develop RPNs FMEA and Control Plans 11