Imaged signature is it Ok?

Silex7

Involved In Discussions
Hello Dear fellows,

I am organizing my internal & external claims reports . my routine of handling the claims documentation is to have a soft copy of the final report sent to customer on my drive (and I usually use picture of my own signature and company stamp I use cropped from the original photo and send it electronically to customer to preserve image Quality and to save some time )..and I keep another ''paper''-printed reports in my file archive at the office.
So my question is, sometimes my Top manager is travelling abroad ( for business trip), well is it Ok to print out the soft copy of the report (that have the cropped images of the stamp and the signature)? , would that mis-constitute with the ISO policies?

Any help is appreciated

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
..... well is it Ok to print out the soft copy of the report (that have the cropped images of the stamp and the signature)? , would that mis-constitute with the ISO policies?
Policies written by ISO...no conflict. ISO does not regulate signatures, electronic or otherwise.

But does it go against policies put in place by your own company? Or other regulatory body?
That depends on the requirements your company has put on itself.
That is something you'll have to check out within your own procedures and any applicable regulatory bodies. Your company may have set its own rules regarding this type of thing...

The only way this would be a non-conformance to ISO is if your company mandates one procedure, and you are not following it. We can't help you determine that since the procedure (if any) is internal to your company.

Eredhel

Quality Manager
I use digital signatures when I fill out CoCs even when it's my own signature. I've never had an issue from a customer or auditor. But like Ninja pointed out, be sure you don't have something else that might require something different.

Silex7

Involved In Discussions
Policies written by ISO...no conflict. ISO does not regulate signatures, electronic or otherwise.

But does it go against policies put in place by your own company? Or other regulatory body?
That depends on the requirements your company has put on itself.
That is something you'll have to check out within your own procedures and any applicable regulatory bodies. Your company may have set its own rules regarding this type of thing...

The only way this would be a non-conformance to ISO is if your company mandates one procedure, and you are not following it. We can't help you determine that since the procedure (if any) is internal to your company.

Thank you for your response.
My company's regulation doesn't restrict anything about this issue, means it's ok if I file claims reports that's way, but some institutions regulations do not always comply or correspond with the ISO regulations ( not to mention they intend to so, but just to say they don't know).
What i wanted to say is that in my position I have this participation of constituting my company's quality regulations, but to mention the ISO standards, I had these inquiries that driven me to ask whether it's Ok or not.

Silex7

Involved In Discussions
I use digital signatures when I fill out CoCs even when it's my own signature. I've never had an issue from a customer or auditor. But like Ninja pointed out, be sure you don't have something else that might require something different.
Thank you for your response. I just had some issue with documents correction methodologies..etc. in auditing visits, that's why I asked that question. I just want to make sure is done accurately and correctly in the same time specially when it comes to stamp and signatures.

BradM

Staff member
Admin
Hello Dear fellows,

I am organizing my internal & external claims reports . my routine of handling the claims documentation is to have a soft copy of the final report sent to customer on my drive (and I usually use picture of my own signature and company stamp I use cropped from the original photo and send it electronically to customer to preserve image Quality and to save some time )..and I keep another ''paper''-printed reports in my file archive at the office.
So my question is, sometimes my Top manager is travelling abroad ( for business trip), well is it Ok to print out the soft copy of the report (that have the cropped images of the stamp and the signature)? , would that mis-constitute with the ISO policies?

Any help is appreciated
Hello Silex7!

OK... I may be the only human that responds in this manner, so you can ignore anything I say! :tg:

I would say that it's NOT ok to use an imaged signature. Because... it's not a signature. It's not unique nor controlled; anyone can use that image and put on anything. When your customer gets the documents, what is to keep one of them from heisting that imaged signature and putting it on anything they want?

I would back up and ask... why do you have a signature? What does it mean? What does it imply? I know... kind of Dobie Gillis sounding philosophy questions. If the signature is just a commercial/feel good type thing, I would remove them. Just have your name typed.

If the signature is to indicate some level of review/approval, then I think you should consider beefing up your signature system. I would get an e-signature system and integrate with Adobe. Or, sign wet signatures and scan or something.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
<snip> ... Because... it's not a signature. It's not unique nor controlled; anyone can use that image and put on anything.
...<snip>
Agree with most, perhaps all, of what Brad said.

Just pointing out that "It's not unique nor controlled" is an assumption...it depends on how it is handled. In most cases I've seen, Brad is 100% correct.

...but there are ways of controlling the digital sig...
short of photoshop or Gimp at which point nothing that shows up on a computer is controlled...
screen grab and photoshop can falsify most everything you see in day to day life.

If you'r just slapping on an image with no other outside controls...I can't see what value the image has.

BradM

Staff member
Admin
Agree with most, perhaps all, of what Brad said.

Just pointing out that "It's not unique nor controlled" is an assumption...it depends on how it is handled. In most cases I've seen, Brad is 100% correct.

...but there are ways of controlling the digital sig...
short of photoshop or Gimp at which point nothing that shows up on a computer is controlled...
screen grab and photoshop can falsify most everything you see in day to day life.

If you'r just slapping on an image with no other outside controls...I can't see what value the image has.

Yes! Thank you! I got a head of myself and I totally agree.

As long as you have a process and whatever signature system is in control, it may work.

Note: that is not the case if you were working with the FDA; but I assume you're not.

Eredhel

Quality Manager
I'm not opposed to the points made against using digital signatures, the concerns are great. I will add that you can have unique digital signatures and controls for who has access to using them and where. We do this.

But also there are government approved forms that allow for simple typed initials and typed names that are not unique but are allowed to be used for digital signatures by just typing from a keyboard. Now I prefer doing it our way where there is some control, some uniqueness, and it's not just any one grabbing a keyboard and typing. But really this comes down to how the organization wants to control it and ISO 9001 doesn't get that specific, the org can choose the how.

Again I don't disagree with the concerns, but I still feel it's doable and that ISO doesn't dig that deep if you have controls.

Silex7

Involved In Discussions
Thank you guys for sharing me this, appreciated!

Well , yes you are totally right this is something that should be controlled though. but do you mean I should construct and initiate a controlling internal document in my organization for this? , something like ''authorized issued documents'' for example?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A 21 CFR part 11 - section 11.100 - Electronic Signature Certification Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
Q Document approval through SharePoint (without signature) Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 4
L MDR 745 - EU Declaration of Conformity - Signature Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 3
W Customer Signature / Acceptance Service Reports Service Industry Specific Topics 2
QIE FDA 21 CFR Part 11 "Meaning of Signature" Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
I Document Signature Software? (Certificate Authorities) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 15
S Is Adobe Sign - E-signature for QMS documents - 21 cfr part 11 compliant? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
C Signature manifestations - 21 CFR Part 11 Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
M Electronic signature - name.lastname or equal to handwritten Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Electronic Signature - Certificate Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 8
M Suggestions for Electronic Signature Software (FDA 21 CFR Part 11 Compliant) Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 12
S Medical Device Servicing - Forms and Signature ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
D 21 CFR Part 11 - Electronic Signature Management SOP Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
G Auto electronic signature on Calibration Form ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
R Wet Signature Document Attachments in SAP - Risk on Data Integrity issue? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 6
S Boss wants customer delivery signature specimen form Customer and Company Specific Requirements 16
M Management Commitment signature issue in same Quality Manual Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 8
B Digital Signature Solutions acceptable to use in an FDA Medical Device Environment 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
T Test Report - Customer Signature - Customer did not witness test General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
B Requirement to have Customer Signature Profile on File Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
L Must the Signature on a Quality Record be Legible? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 33
A Do controlled documents require a signature on every page as per 21 CFR 820.40? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
x-files Signature(s) on ?Document control form? and/or on ?Document? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
K AS9102 Field 19 Signature Requirement AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
C 21 CFR Part 11 - Electronic Signature Certification Other US Medical Device Regulations 13
H Is this training records signature app FDA compliant? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 10
T "Typing name on MS.Word directly" can be "Electronic Approval Signature" Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
R 21 CFR 11 Timeframe of Inactivity after which all Signature Components are Required? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
M Part 11 Compliant Digital Signature Requirements - Sharepoint Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
sridharafep Quality Policy without Top Management Signature Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 37
G Signature Missing from Calibration Certificates General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
D E-Signature Compliance Requirements for Training Records Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
S 21 CFR Part 820.198 - Complaint Files & Electronic Signature 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
D How to meet AS9100 Electronic Signature Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
J How to Link Electronic Records (510k Documents) to Handwritten Signature Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 16
L Employee Signature List for Medical Device Company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
D Electronic Signature Documents - FDA Requirements for Retention and Hardcopy Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 4
P Part 11 Hybrid System - Partial paper based record but with e-signature Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
Q Physical vs. Digital Signature Requirements Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 7
sagai Automated System's Signature on Electronic Record - PART11 Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
E Approval Signature Record Retention Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
E Signature of Records - Microsoft Word forms Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 7
S AMS2750 rev D - para 3.2.6.2 - "Signature of the calibration company representative" Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
J Electronic Signature Validation Protocol example or template Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
kmyers Question about paperless signature - Electronic signatures in outlook emails ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Q Signature on Management Review Minutes - Quality Records ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
J Drawing Revision History Question... Signature on EO or ECO Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 18
A Signature Required on Quality Policy? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 28
S Need solution to AS9100 signature requirements on the plans, and/or changes AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
J Customer Drawing Approval - No approval signature on prints ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 25