IMDS (Automotive MSDS) for Lead Free Components and Solder

R

Richard

We are a cable company. My customer currently a requirement for our material lead free certs. They mentioned IMDS system. Actually they don't even know it very clearly.

Could anybody tell me about what kind of system it is? And What kind of certs they are asking for as the automotive industrial requirement?

Thanks in advance.

A

Atul Khandekar

energy, you just beat me to it!!

Here's the English page: http://www.mdsystem.com/html/en/home_en.htm

International Material Data System

The IMDS is the automotive industry material data system. It is a joint development of Audi, BMW, DaimlerChrysler, Ford, Opel, Porsche, VW and the Swedish firm Volvo. Fiat, Mitsubishi and Toyota have meanwhile joined the team and talks are being held with other car manufacturers regarding their participation in IMDS.
In the IMDS, all materials used for car manufacture are archived and maintained. Only in this way is it possible to meet the obligations placed on car manufacturers, and thus on their suppliers, by national and international standards, laws and regulations.

Check out the very detailed FAQ section on that site.

And here's a PPT from Ford on 'How to use IMDS'
*** DEAD LINK REMOVED ***

E

energy

Sure...

Atul,

I beat you? Never, my good man. I may want to, but you're too far away! Peace. ;)

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Richard said:
We are a cable company. My customer currently a requirement for our material lead free certs. They mentioned IMDS system. Actually they don't even know it very clearly.

Could anybody tell me about what kind of system it is? And What kind of certs they are asking for as the automotive industrial requirement?

Thanks in advance.
I can't find a copy of the excel sheet off hand, but while at Stolle Visteon required these now that I think back. I wish I had saved a copy of the base sheet that they sent me on my personal computer. I thought I did but can't find it so I may not have. Basically it was a complex spreadsheet which one used to break down from assembly to component to each individual material all the elements (if you will) which made up whatever your product was - LRU to element. One then 'distilled' the sheet and submitted the resulting file. Most of the info came from standard MSDS sheets including those from suppliers. Once you catch the way the sheet works it's not too tough.

As a mention, I can't remember what the deal was, exactly - I think it was a switch from an internal Visteon spreadsheet to the the AIAG ('Universal'?) spreadsheet. I had to re-input all the data for every part number and resubmit.

Personal comment of reflection: Visteon had a very difficult time communicating internally and it was obvious their turnover rate was rediculous. I had 4 SQEs in 9 months. I spent more time educating Visteon people on how their systems worked than getting anything done.

I'll look around to see if I can dig up a copy of that spreadsheet. If I find it I'll post it as an attachment. Or.... Maybe someone else has a copy of the base spreadsheet they can attach to a post.

E

energy

Lead free?

Marc said:
One then 'distilled' the sheet and submitted the resulting file. Most of the info came from standard MSDS sheets including those from suppliers. Once you catch the way the sheet works it's not too tough.

Just to satisfy my curiousity. Does that mean that automotive suppliers have to review MSDS' to make sure that they are "lead free". Similar to "Mercury Free" for navy work? :smokin:

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
energy said:
Just to satisfy my curiousity. Does that mean that automotive suppliers have to review MSDS' to make sure that they are "lead free". Similar to "Mercury Free" for navy work? :smokin:
I'm assuming this has to do with recycling as well as over all contribution to dangerous pollution. I don't know if it's a legal thing or what. Visteon was the only company of the three I've recently worked with requiring them for PPAP approval. May be a European thing.

R

Richard

I am searching on internet in the last couple of days.
Here are what I got
VDA 232-101 for declable material
ELV directive *** DEAD LINK REMOVED ***
mds internal spreadsheet
*** DEAD LINK REMOVED ***

I am going to collect all the data from my supplier and fill in imds. I can see a large project just in front of me.

R

RosieA

Richard,
You aren't alone in this. my company is getting inundated with requests for complaince to ROHS and Prop 65 regulated materials. The issues are complex, such as the definition of lead free and cadmium free. Every customer seems to have a different definition.

Are there any other databases out there besides the mdsystems.com one, that are from other industries? It seems silly for us all to undertake this effort individually when the information is needed universally.

Top Bottom