Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

IMDS for double sourced component

Rodo

Registered
Hello to all. First, thanks to all of you for making this forum possible. This is my first post as a member, In the past, however, I have come here to learn once in a while. Really, this forum is great.
I have a question on IMDS. I am implementing a double sourcing for a component I use as part of an automotive good.
Since I have two different suppliers I created a second IMDS - Completely new ID - which is approved on the IMDS portal. So now I have an "Old IMDS ID" for my current production, and a "New IMDS ID" for the production using the new sourced component. Customer part number is the same for both conditions.

Normally, a few days after achieving ID approval the "approved ID" reference becomes also visible on the customer quality management portal. This is not happening and I cannot find the reason. The quality guy from the customer side has blocked PPAP due to the lack of IMDS approved on customer portal.

So here are the questions

1.- Is it valid to have two IMDS IDs for a single customer part number?
I received recommendation from my IMDS approver to simply update the old IMDS ID adding the new source. I don't think it is right. In my mind I understand I have to always have an IMDS which is representative from my production.
So, If I have two sources, I believe I should keep two IMDS IDs. Am I wrong?

2.- Have any of you faced this problem before? I suppose it is fairly common to have companies with double material sources...

Any advice?

I hope this is clear. Thanks in advance.

sinned

Registered Visitor
Same issue is happening in my company. And the problem is that our policy allow dual, or even multiple, sourcing of a raw mat'l from different suppliers at the same time. The supply chain can base on price to switch between these supplier without noticing production.

- dennis

Kimmy

Involved In Discussions
So the parts are made from the same raw material but you buy them from different sources? We make springs and will use raw material from a couple of different sources to make the same parts. The material is purchased to an ASTM specification so the chemical composition range is the same regardless of who we buy it from. I only have one IMDS for the parts.

sinned

Registered Visitor
So the parts are made from the same raw material but you buy them from different sources? We make springs and will use raw material from a couple of different sources to make the same parts. The material is purchased to an ASTM specification so the chemical composition range is the same regardless of who we buy it from. I only have one IMDS for the parts.
Yes. If the raw material is of standard metal grade to certain international standard like JIS, we can use the MDS published from IMDS committee. However for other materials, different suppliers may report slightly different composition.

Top Bottom