IMDS submission details for aluminium wrought alloys

Hi all,

I got the great responsibility to handle our IMDS request and am a bit lost. I was reading through all the freely available material but did not find clear answers.

1. In how much detail do I have to disclose our alloy composition? I it enough to state the composition of the normative standard e.g. EN AW 6082?

2. If not published who can see these details? Only my customer and the OEM?

3. What if I have to make a change after the MDS was accepted? Is it correct that this is not possible and I have to create a new material?

Thankfull for any help,
Jakob

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

heiss

Starting to get Involved
Hi all,

I got the great responsibility to handle our IMDS request and am a bit lost. I was reading through all the freely available material but did not find clear answers.

1. In how much detail do I have to disclose our alloy composition? I it enough to state the composition of the normative standard e.g. EN AW 6082?

2. If not published who can see these details? Only my customer and the OEM?

3. What if I have to make a change after the MDS was accepted? Is it correct that this is not possible and I have to create a new material?

Thankfull for any help,
Jakob
1. In my experience with IMDS what is disclosed for metals is the composition that is already shared with the customer (e.g. composition as documented on the certificate of analysis). Review what you're disclosing for confidentiality.
2. If you don't publish, only the customer and who else they share it with can see. There is an option to label a substance 'Confidential', if this is selected, only the company creating MDS can see that information. The IMDS Client Manager of your company can add 'Trusted Users' to share confidential information.
3. If there is a change to the material composition, yes you have to update the MDS along with all the other change notification fun stuff

1. In my experience with IMDS what is disclosed for metals is the composition that is already shared with the customer (e.g. composition as documented on the certificate of analysis). Review what you're disclosing for confidentiality.
2. If you don't publish, only the customer and who else they share it with can see. There is an option to label a substance 'Confidential', if this is selected, only the company creating MDS can see that information. The IMDS Client Manager of your company can add 'Trusted Users' to share confidential information.
3. If there is a change to the material composition, yes you have to update the MDS along with all the other change notification fun stuff

Hi and thank you for the reply!

As addition to point 2, do you know if I get a notification if my (created) MDS is shared by my customer?

heiss

Starting to get Involved
Hi Jakob,

I'm not sure if there is an option to get notified when your MDS is shared. I never do. If you go to Administration then Personal Settings you can see the different notifications you can subscribe to.

For references I find the IMDS Recommendation documents very helpful. To find these Go to Help > Recommendation.
In this case IMDS 001 and IMDS 007 are relevant

Hi Jakob,

I'm not sure if there is an option to get notified when your MDS is shared. I never do. If you go to Administration then Personal Settings you can see the different notifications you can subscribe to.

For references I find the IMDS Recommendation documents very helpful. To find these Go to Help > Recommendation.
In this case IMDS 001 and IMDS 007 are relevant
Thanks a lot, I will look into it.

Your supplier expect you to review updates to REC 19 and update your data

Be careful to create a newer revision (xxx/1 > xxx/2) rather than creating a new data set

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R IMDS time frame submission for a very old product APQP and PPAP 1
V IMDS Submission for Trim Parts (Non-woven Carpets, Wood, Felts etc) APQP and PPAP 5
H Need to add a concentrate (only) to an already approved IMDS Submission RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 5
Z 'Duty to Declare' substance - Is submission of IMDS sufficient? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 2
R CPM grading by thinkstep vs. IMDS IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
K IMDS Chemistry Manager RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 0
J Question: How to create an IMDS RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
D IMDS for Like Components (Interior Plastic, Leather/vinyl Armrest, etc.)other than Color APQP and PPAP 1
F How to submit PPAP without IMDS APQP and PPAP 10
R IMDS for double sourced component RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
J IMDS for Trucks in USA as a requirement RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
F Mig Welded Components - IMDS International Material Data System RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
S IMDS=REACH for automotive industry? REACH and RoHS Conversations 2
D I'm new in IMDS special using the IMDS application Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
D IMDS for machining - Can my customer request a IMDS number for a part? APQP and PPAP 2
A IMDS - Changing the Locked Weight Value RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
L How do you send an IMDS instead of propose to a customer? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 2
W IMDS - Help (Common Warning and Error Fixes) RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 9
H IMDS for material - Can my Customer create one for my material? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 4
T IMDS - Creating an MDS out of material and a made item? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 4
S IMDS helper app or program or paid service at OEM? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 0
N IMDS Warning Polymer Material Two Substances RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 7
O Is it "legit" to create IMDS before Part Production? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 4
J IMDS: How to manage same Raw Material from Two Suppliers? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 2
S Use of Published IMDS Data from our Raw Material Supplier RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 6
S. Moore Where is a good place to get IMDS (International Material Data System) Training? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
F Future Plan for IMDS (International Material Data System) RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 5
K Entering Assemblies containing Welds into IMDS RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 4
B Is CADMIUM allowable in IMDS if it so what is the allowable percentage? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 4
L IMDS for a Part of a Multi-Part Assembly? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 10
L IMDS Overcheck Rules RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 9
T IMDS - MDS request for parts supplied to multiple customers RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 15
T Calculating Plating/Coating Weight for IMDS RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
Jim Wynne Has Anyone Had Trouble with IMDS 8.0? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 17
T IMDS - What is the difference between propose and send buttons? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 5
S Development of ELV and IMDS in India. RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 8
R Is IMDS required for Shipping cap received from our suppliers RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 7
T Steel Material Entry into the IMDS system RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 5
I IMDS Warning - Chromate Filming of Zinc Plating RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 4
P IMDS Classification for Marking Ink RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 9
J Is the AIAG IMDS Summit Productive - Worth the time/investment? Career and Occupation Discussions 8
H IMDS which has Development Sample Report Flag RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 2
Q IMDS - Clarification needed for Electroplated Parts: Component or Semi-Component? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 17
Stijloor IMDS - Is a Truck Industry Parts Supplier required to register? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 2
A IMDS DIFFICULTY: Our customer requires the Wildcard portion MUST be < 0.1 % RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 5
D Using IMDS database with 3rd party Intermediate Trade Company RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 2
G Component IMDS for an Electronics Contract Manufacturer RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 6
T Can an Automotive Supplier require an IMDS # for a Non-Automotive part? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 7
G IMDS (International Material Data System) - Is there a minimum weight? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 15
G Newbie in IMDS - Please help me understand what I have to do RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 4