IMDS - What is the difference between propose and send buttons?

TPMB4

Quite Involved in Discussions
With IMDS what is the difference between the propose and send buttons in the final recipients page?

Having problems changing the recipient company or re-sending it to a second company.

Problem 1 - MDS was sent to the wrong ID.
Problem 2 - MDS now needs to be sent to a different company.
Problem 3 - the send button is greyed out but the propose button isn't.
Problem 4 - The biggest problem is no one knows much about the IMDS system just enough to get by. Any problems it's trial and error or guesswork. Makes searching for MDS on the system fun. One day I find something the next I don't.

Anyone know enough about the IMDS system to help or advise?

Basically need to get the IMDS accepted, it has been fully entered onto the system but wrong ID (info provided to person putting it on system was incorrect/incomplete).

Also, what is the best way to learn about the system? Have read the recommendations 001, downloaded various pdf sheets/manuals and even had some preliminary training from someone who has used it a lot. We use the standard online system for entry onto the IMDS not one of the server based systems larger companies buy into for MDS admin. It all seems unnecessarily complex to me. Kind of like it has grown organically rather than some people sitting down and working out what is really needed and how to do it. Kind of like X wants this, Y wants that and Z needs the other. As a result you end up with empty fields, different ways of doing stuff and complexity.

J

JQuality

Problem 1 - MDS was sent to the wrong ID. - There are a couple ways to handle this. Have the company you mistakenly sent the information to reject the submission. That will "unlock" the submission and allow you to send to a new recipient. Or, delete/recall your incorrect submission. Or thirdly, you can recreate the submission and send to the correct recipient. Option one or two are the best. The third option should be a last resort.
Problem 2 - MDS now needs to be sent to a different company. - Will be resolved if you complete one of the suggested methods
Problem 3 - the send button is greyed out but the propose button isn't. - Will be resolved if you complete suggestion one or two of the above suggested methods
Problem 4 - The biggest problem is no one knows much about the IMDS system just enough to get by. Any problems it's trial and error or guesswork. Makes searching for MDS on the system fun. One day I find something the next I don't. -As of a few years ago, only one company anywhere was allowed to conduct training on this. That company is Tetra Tech. The training that I went to was decent, the trainer was very knowledgeable, but unprepared. The manual that they give you with the training is top notch. I use it all the time.

Here is their contact information - 734-665-6000 - www.tetratech.com.

Also, the difference between the send and the propose button is that you use the send button for submitting to a single recipient and you use the propose when you submit to multiple companies simultaneously.

Kales Veggie

People: The Vital Few
With IMDS what is the difference between the propose and send buttons in the final recipients page?

Having problems changing the recipient company or re-sending it to a second company.

Problem 1 - MDS was sent to the wrong ID.
Problem 2 - MDS now needs to be sent to a different company.
Problem 3 - the send button is greyed out but the propose button isn't.
Problem 4 - The biggest problem is no one knows much about the IMDS system just enough to get by. Any problems it's trial and error or guesswork. Makes searching for MDS on the system fun. One day I find something the next I don't.

Anyone know enough about the IMDS system to help or advise?

Basically need to get the IMDS accepted, it has been fully entered onto the system but wrong ID (info provided to person putting it on system was incorrect/incomplete).

Also, what is the best way to learn about the system? Have read the recommendations 001, downloaded various pdf sheets/manuals and even had some preliminary training from someone who has used it a lot. We use the standard online system for entry onto the IMDS not one of the server based systems larger companies buy into for MDS admin. It all seems unnecessarily complex to me. Kind of like it has grown organically rather than some people sitting down and working out what is really needed and how to do it. Kind of like X wants this, Y wants that and Z needs the other. As a result you end up with empty fields, different ways of doing stuff and complexity.
Propose: one MDS to multiple customers (e.g. fasteners)
Send: one MDS sent to one customer

Problem 1: Cancel / Delete the submission on the recipient data screen.
Problem 2: create a copy / new version
Problem 3: resolved by 2.
Problem 4: Search Windows is complicated. Many options.

T

TShepherd

My understanding of the difference between PROPOSE and SEND options is slightly different - I am not claiming to be correct - just learning the system also.

PROPOSE: Retreive any Submisions from your supplies, if any - Build your IMDS submission (Component, Sub-component, Assembly and so on).

Your actually sending your submission to the system that checks everything and sends errors back to you for correction before it is sent to the customer - which reduces the number of rejects that your customer has to deal with.

SEND: This is used after your proposals do not get any error messages that need to be fixed - which are probably well outlined in the previous posts.

Tom

Jim Wynne

Super Moderator
My understanding of the difference between PROPOSE and SEND options is slightly different - I am not claiming to be correct - just learning the system also.

PROPOSE: Retreive any Submisions from your supplies, if any - Build your IMDS submission (Component, Sub-component, Assembly and so on).

Your actually sending your submission to the system that checks everything and sends errors back to you for correction before it is sent to the customer - which reduces the number of rejects that your customer has to deal with.

SEND: This is used after your proposals do not get any error messages that need to be fixed - which are probably well outlined in the previous posts.

Tom
If there are errors, they'll be flagged when you click on "Send," and you won't be able to submit the MDS to the customer until they're corrected in most cases. There might be cases where a tree is improperly built (a material is listed as a component, e.g.) when the system will flag the issue but still allow you to send to the customer. In those cases, the customer will see the same warning and will almost certainly reject your submission.

Kales Veggie

People: The Vital Few

Tom
Propose means one MDS to multiple customers (for example used by Fastener supplier, one bolt to multiple customers)
Send means one MDS to one customers. (used most often)

Both Send / Propose do perform the "warning/error" check before your can complete the command.

Top Bottom