Impact of 17-4 PH Heat Treating the same material twice

J

JMT_Jack

Can anyone tell me what is the impact (if any) to 17-4 PH material that has already been precipitation hardened to H900 and undergoes the exact same process a second time?:thanks:

J

JMT_Jack

A Quick Bump!

Can someone help with this?

Thank you very much!

Stijloor.
Stijloor,
Thanks for trying to help push this query along. I haven't seen any other replies. Is there a way to make this query either more visible or just visible once again?

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Can anyone tell me what is the impact (if any) to 17-4 PH material that has already been precipitation hardened to H900 and undergoes the exact same process a second time?:thanks:
The physical properties will be the same - there may be some additional dimensional contraction. What is your main concern?

Typically, when you have questions like this, you should go directly to the company which performed the initial heat treatment and ask. I am aware of many times various steel alloys go through multiple heat treatments with no particular problems.

Is the product undergoing second heat treatment bar stock or finished product? With finished product, you "may" encounter distortion, but not likely.

Incidentally, H900 merely means the product has been heated to 900 degrees Fahrenheit and held there for 90 minutes, then allowed to air cool (no quenching.)

S

silentrunning

We work with 17-7Ph material quite a bit. I have never used 17-4, but I think the two have much the same properties. We have had to anneal hardened parts for rework and then have them retempered. There has never been a negative impact on the parts. I would however find a good heatreater with a metalurgist in the quality department to perform the heat treating.

J

JMT_Jack

Wes,
Thanks! Our main concern would be any change to the material properties if the H900 process were repeated. Several of us believed the outcome would be exactly as you described, but we couldn't find a technical document confirming that. Gracias! :)

Top Bottom