Impact of an MDSAP certificate with all countries coverage

Dear MDSAP experts

Can someone please explain to me the impact of an MDSAP certificate with all countries coverage?

I can identify the following 3 scenarios under the assumption that I have a full MDSAP certificate (all countries) obtained in the EU.

1) if I want to sell my product outside of the MDSAP countries (e.g. China), I need to also satisfy the destination requirements

2) if I want to sell my product inside of the MDSAP countries (e.g. Canada), my product fits the requirements listed for the MDSAP certification, and I satisfy those having a MDSAP certificate, I can sell in any of the MDSAP countries without restrictions

3) if I want to sell my product inside of the MDSAP countries (e.g. Canada), but my product doesn't fit the requirements listed for the MDSAP certification (e.g. electronic IFU), then I can sell my product in any of the MDSAP countries without restrictions
-- as long as I meet my local EU (MDR) requirements on eIFU OR
-- if I meet the destination requirements on eIFU (in which case the idea of an MDSAP certificate covering all participating markets without restriction is lost).

Your input is highly appreciated,
Richard

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

shimonv

Trusted Information Resource
1) if I want to sell my product outside of the MDSAP countries (e.g. China), I need to also satisfy the destination requirements
Correct. China is not a part of this harmonization initiative; there are only five member states: US, Canada, Brazil, Australia and Japan.
2) if I want to sell my product inside of the MDSAP countries (e.g. Canada), my product fits the requirements listed for the MDSAP certification, and I satisfy those having a MDSAP certificate, I can sell in any of the MDSAP countries without restrictions
No you may not. MDSAP cover the requirements for a quality system. To sell a product in each of these countries you may need to submit Technical File/s for review depending on local classifications and regulations.
3) if I want to sell my product inside of the MDSAP countries (e.g. Canada), but my product doesn't fit the requirements listed for the MDSAP certification (e.g. electronic IFU), then I can sell my product in any of the MDSAP countries without restrictions
-- as long as I meet my local EU (MDR) requirements on eIFU OR
-- if I meet the destination requirements on eIFU (in which case the idea of an MDSAP certificate covering all participating markets without restriction is lost).
I am not following you on this one. The EU is not a part of this global initiative. If your product is approved in the EU and you comply with the electronic IFU directive - then you may sell it with electronic IFU. Again, MDSAP cover the requirements for a quality management system for each of the listed member states. It's mandatory to meet these requirements. Any additional relevant regulatory requirement like eIFU needs to be evaluated separately per each member states requirements / regulation.

-Shimon

Re: Impact of an MDSAP certificate

Hi Shimon

So I guess this is where I got lost. The MDSAP certificate is a system certificate.

Does that then mean that even with an MDSAP certificate the local requirements apply for a technical file audit? Thus, I have to register a product/obtain a market authorization in every single MDSAP country?

Thank you again,
Richard

cmeby

Involved In Discussions
Your QMS will need to identify and outline the compliance of the QMS with the regulatory requirements of each country that you have listed.

We have not done ours yet, but our auditor has advised that the MDSAP Companion Document is the best guide to follow, and to ensure that the QMS clearly outlines the country specific requirements in each procedure.

Note that obtaining your MDSAP certificate mentioning the specific country does not mean that you have clearance there. You still need to follow the registration and listing processes for each country separately.
Example: Brazil states that it takes the MDSAP 'into consideration' but still may require a audit by their competent authority for that country.

shimonv

Trusted Information Resource

Hi Shimon

So I guess this is where I got lost. The MDSAP certificate is a system certificate.

Does that then mean that even with an MDSAP certificate the local requirements apply for a technical file audit? Thus, I have to register a product/obtain a market authorization in every single MDSAP country?

Thank you again,
Richard
Precisely.

Marcelo

Inactive Registered Visitor
Also, each country has uses of the MDSAP certificate or report in different ways, even for the QMS requirements.

Brazil was already mentioned, but let me detail it a little more:

Brazilian regulations for medical devices divide devices into 4 risk classes, I, II, III and IV. For classes III and IV devices, one of the requirements is that a GMP certificate is obtained. Normally, this is obtained after an inspection from ANVISA.

Another way is: ANVISA recognizes several MDSAP AOs. If you have an MDSAP audit report from one of these AOs, ANVISA will consider the report for the granting of the certificate. If the test report shows compliance with ANVISA requirements, they will give the GMP certificate, instead of waiting for an ANVISA inspection.

Wow, thank you for the enlightenment!

So to summarize, having an MDSAP certificate I still need to look into

• how it is accepted by the destination country and
  • what the local registration/listing/market authorization requirements are that my products have to meet
in order for me to sell in that market.

Thank you for your help!
Richard

Yes, our marketing team protested MDSAP because it did precisely nothing to speed up the time to market and was purely a theoretical (as of today) cost saver in terms of audits. We only implemented, frankly speaking, because we didn't want to pull out of Canada, which has set a January 2019 deadline for MDSAP.

JoshuaFroud

Involved In Discussions

Richard

Yes, an MDSAP certificate is akin to any other QMS certificate, for example, ISO 13485 or 9001. MDSAP shows your Quality Management System meets the requirements of the associated countries regulation for a QMS.

The process of assessment of your specific device and associated registrations must still be conducted on a per-country basis.

Hopefully, that helps?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M MDR Impact on MDSAP Countries Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 16
Edward Reesor Canadian News article on impact of MDSAP ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
R Impact of changing manufacturer post clinical investigation CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
Ed Panek Corona Virus impact on Supplier Audits and Received Parts ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
F Will the EU postpone 2017/745 MDR Implementation - COVID-19 Impact Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 11
R Revalidation machine line and Stability Studies impact. Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
Watchcat Impact of MDR on Availability of Medical Devices in EU EU Medical Device Regulations 5
Judy Abbott Can any one help me with an urgent BIOCOMPATIBILITY Impact assessment? Internal Auditing 9
G Is impact test according to IEC 60601-1 applicable for HAND-HELD equipment if also classified as BODY-WORN? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
A IEC 60601-1 Impact test on glass touch controller IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
Q The Perfect audit? External Audit causes a significant negative impact in a company General Auditing Discussions 9
Ashok sunder Is it possible to reduce Risk likelihood and impact Post control Ranking after corrective action taken for risk? FMEA and Control Plans 1
E MDR Article 117 / Impact to New Marketing Authorization Applications Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
C Lithium battery powered Medical Device - 15.3.3 Impact test, broken enclosure IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
Q Propose Aspects to evaluate risk impact? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
Q Risk impact can be modified? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
R Brexit - European Commission - The impact of the Brexit per March 29, 2019 EU Medical Device Regulations 3
B The impact of IoT in ISO documentation IT (Information Technology) Service Management 1
J Business Impact Analysis SOP Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 2
T GDPR impact on ISO 9001 and Quality ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Raffy What is the first step in doing PIA (Privacy Impact Assessment)? IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 3
Sidney Vianna IATF 16949 Areas of Impact - Rules 5th Edition Document (February 2017) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
I Biocompatibility Impact on Autoclaved Silicone Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
R Tensile Test Strain Rate - Impact on the Test Results Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
K Thoughts on the impact of the General Data Protection Regulation? Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 5
Q Risk Impact - Risk Assessment Sample/Method per ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
A Difference between Environmental Impact and Risk ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 7
M 15.3.3 Ball Impact Test requirements in IEC 60601-1 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
J Calculating impact force, expressed in lbs, of a 5 lb weight dropped 48 inches Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
J Charpy impact test - Mill cert for API 13CrL80 coupling stock material with is PLS 2 Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
K TS 16949 Planning Phase: Raw Materials purchased from Distributer and the PPAP impact IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
A Product Impact When Thread Rings Require Adjustment General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
Marc What companies think climate change will have a material impact on their business? Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 11
K IEC 60601-1:2012 - Impact Assessment for changes from IEC 60601-1:2005 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
K Business Impact Analysis Questionnaire - Financial Implications Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 1
Howard Atkins Rules 4th Edition Areas of Impact for Client Consideration IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
S Exploring the Impact of Changes in ISO 14001:2015 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 3
Q Complete Company Restructuring & Impact on ISO 9001 Certification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
M Do Volume Spikes impact Quality Scores and Utilization? Which Tool To Use Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
A Organization Name Change & Its Impact in QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
K Medical Device Software Version Upgrade Regulation Impact 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
F Moving our Distribution Company - ISO 9001 Certification Impact ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
AnaMariaVR2 Legal Flash: 8 Regulations set to impact the Pharma & Biotech Industry in 2013 US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
G TS-16949 7.6.2 ? Calibration/Verification Records - Assessment of the Impact IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
J IEC 60601 (Steel Ball Impact Test) Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
G Combining Aspect Impact and Hazard Risk Register Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 8
jasonb067 Scope / Certification Impact Two companies, One roof IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
W Impact of Distribution Center Site Change on Product Registrations EU Medical Device Regulations 3
D What the impact is of a high %GRR/TV Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
S Using ANSI/ASQ Z1.4 to Reduce Impact of Field Service Campaign AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 17