Implementation of Total Quality Management/Starting a Quality Department

The task of creating a quality department from the ground up (or Top Down right? lol) is a little intimidating. I have looked online and found some information but any suggestions on how and where to start would be great. I work for a business which specializes in injection molding (electrical connectors, smaller medical molded and over molded parts, etc.). I have a lot of reference material for lean Six Sigma, FMEA, MSA, PPAP, SPC, APQP, etc. and I was planning on starting by merging the inspection department with the new quality department which I am the only employee of both. We are growing and will be hiring people at all positions so I was hoping to have the foundation laid soon. Any ideas to simplify the implementation into smaller goals to be met would be awesome. Thanks in advance. (A little background on me; I have 5+ years design experience, 6+ years machining experience, drafting & design tech degree at 19 years old, back to college for double major in physics/mechanical engineering at 30 but couldn't afford to finish.)

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

northbranch

Starting to get Involved
You may also want to consider integrating it with any other management systems that are in place (18001/14001) now. I've been asked to integrate all of our mature systems and it's very daunting since they're set up so differently. Just a thought.

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Jack,

Already your chief exec is responsible for creating and maintaining an organization (aka system) that helps her or his employees to understand and fulfill customer requirements.

You’ve been asked to help.

Do this not by creating a department that makes the employees think that you are taking this responsibility away from them.

Instead work with top management to help everyone understand how your company interacts with customers and suppliers to fulfill customer needs. How it works as a system to convert customer needs into cash in the bank (or, less crudely, “fulfill its mission”).

In doing this you’ll determine the processes (cross functional work) that are essential to the success of your company. Each of those processes should be assigned by top management to the person who knows best how it actually works (including across departmental boundaries and how the process interacts with other processes) in the system.

I recommend that you become proficient in deployment flowcharting so you can readily show who does what to fulfill the mission of the system and, in more detail, the objectives of each process.

To capture (document) and develop this system well you also need to understand how process-based systems work and the requirements specified of such systems. Select top-notch accredited lead auditor training and you should then know what questions to ask and how best to ask them when capturing and developing your company’s management system (don’t call it a ISO System!) so it can be understood, used and improved by all your colleagues.

That’ll be a great way to help the chief exec. You may even be referred to as the System and Audit Manager but not the head of the quality department.

Good luck and please let us know how you do.

John

Jack,

Already your chief exec is responsible for creating and maintaining an organization (aka system) that helps her or his employees to understand and fulfill customer requirements.

You’ve been asked to help.

Do this not by creating a department that makes the employees think that you are taking this responsibility away from them.

Instead work with top management to help everyone understand how your company interacts with customers and suppliers to fulfill customer needs. How it works as a system to convert customer needs into cash in the bank (or, less crudely, “fulfill its mission”).

In doing this you’ll determine the processes (cross functional work) that are essential to the success of your company. Each of those processes should be assigned by top management to the person who knows best how it actually works (including across departmental boundaries and how the process interacts with other processes) in the system.

I recommend that you become proficient in deployment flowcharting so you can readily show who does what to fulfill the mission of the system and, in more detail, the objectives of each process.

To capture (document) and develop this system well you also need to understand how process-based systems work and the requirements specified of such systems. Select top-notch accredited lead auditor training and you should then know what questions to ask and how best to ask them when capturing and developing your company’s management system (don’t call it a ISO System!) so it can be understood, used and improved by all your colleagues.

That’ll be a great way to help the chief exec. You may even be referred to as the System and Audit Manager but not the head of the quality department.

Good luck and please let us know how you do.

John
I just stumbled upon this thread and I want to thank you John for that insight and advice to Jack. I'm in the exact same position as Jack, except that my management doesn't see the need (at least for now) for a Quality "System". They just want me to make sure that all the parts are inspected before they leave our shop.

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
music,

If your system relies on inspection at the end of the line then it is choosing to pay the price of nonconformity in scrap, rework and delays leading to the loss of customers.

Replacing customers is very costly.

Better to understand and improve how the organization adds value while preventing loss and growing the number of satisfied customers.

Good luck,

John

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S TPM (Total Productive Maintenance) Implementation Handbook Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 10
C Implementation ISO 9001: 2015 ? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
S Practical Implementation of ISO 14971 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 6
G Issues/Roadblocks with APQP implementation APQP and PPAP 7
Dean Bell Implementation of Controls as per SOA for Stage 2 Audit IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 0
O ISO13485 implementation - Are internal audits expected before stage 1 audit? Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
N ERP Software Implementation Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
C New to Site - Request Help with API Q2 Implementation Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 10
F Will the EU postpone 2017/745 MDR Implementation - COVID-19 Impact Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 11
J MDD to MDR transition - Time required for the implementation of the MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 7
L AS9146 Implementation and Compliance AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
J Looking for a template SOP for UDI implementation for EU Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 0
G Defining performance metrics for DFMA implementation Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
C Design and implementation of process audits as defined within IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
B ISO 9001 Implementation Time Frame ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
M UDI transition period and implementation EU Medical Device Regulations 6
G Strategy for IEC62304 implementation half way into the software development process IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 9
M Informational EU – EMA revised guidance – Questions & Answers on Implementation of the Medical Devices and In Vitro Diagnostic Medical Devices Regulations ((EU) 201 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
R ISO 13485 QMS Implementation Training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
D Preventive Maintenance Implementation 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
Emran.mi Measurement system analysis - Can you help me about implementation MSA for CMM device Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
K China UDI Implementation for October 1st 2019 China Medical Device Regulations 4
R ISO 13485 QMS sequence of implementation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
M Informational From RAPS – EU MDR/IVDR: US Raises ‘Serious Concerns,’ Urges 3-Year Implementation Delay Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
M Informational TGA – European implementation of Medical Device and IVD Regulations – Implications for Australia Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational Medtech Europe presentation – – Industry Perspective on the Implementation Status of the MDR/IVDR Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational EU – Employment, Social Policy, Health and Consumer Affairs Council Public session (Health) – AOB – medical devices Implementation of the regulation o Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational EU – Medical devices: Implementation of Regulation (EU) 2017/745 on medical devices (MDR) – Information from the Irish and German delegations Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational Medtech Europe – Open letter to the European Commission on the implementation and readiness status of the new Medical Device Regulation (MDR) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational Publication of Draft Health Canada Implementation Guidance for the International Medical Device Regulators Forum Table of Contents Format Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
A New Supplier implementation - PPAP vs APQP APQP and PPAP 9
M Startup Company - Implementation of ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 19
D AS9100D implementation question AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
L Implementation of ISO 27001 as part of the GDPR compliance journey Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
P IATF 16949 implementation needs and requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
A Policies Mandatory or essential for ISO 27001 implementation IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 6
A ISO/IEC 27001 - Issue during implementation of system IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 3
A ISMS implementation - ISO 27001: 2013 Company Objectives IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 1
V ISO 9001:2015 Implementation Packages ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 28
G IEC 61010 - Single Fault Condition - Protective Impedance Implementation IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
A EMS - ISO 14001:2015 Implementation ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 4
a_bardi ISO 9001:2015 - Implementation in 4 Plants Different Countries ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
A CAQ Software - Implementation of a Software for FMEA's and Control Plans FMEA and Control Plans 0
M Partial Implementation of ISO 9001 in a Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
Y TQM Implementation in Facilities Department Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
A ISO 9001:2015 Implementation for Marketing and Sales Companies ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
gunnyshore ISO 13485:2016 Implementation Plan ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M 2016 FDA Final Guidance for Blood Glucose Monitoring Systems - Implementation Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
J What does "effective implementation of quality management system" mean? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
S API SPEC 7-1, 7-2 and 5 CT implementation Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 3