Implementing an AS9100 Aerospace Quality System

S

sasiengineer

#1
Dear Experts,

I am work for startup company and we plan to implement EN AS 9100 and currently we dont have any ISO certification in place.

1.Is the Gap Analaysis necessary for a start up company?

2. If anyone you have Gap Analysis checklist for EN AS 9100 please kindly share with me .

Thanks in Advance.
 

Marc

Retired Old Goat
Staff member
Admin
#2
Re: Seeking Gap Analysis Checklist for EN AS9100

What is the status of your startup company? Does your startup company have any procedures or systems in place yet? Is it at the place where you are actually producing anything?
 
S

sasiengineer

#3
Re: Seeking Gap Analysis Checklist for EN AS9100

Marc said:
What is the status of your startup company? Does your startup company have any procedures or systems in place yet? Is it at the place where you are actually producing anything?
My company in 3 months old company and we are in the process of developing procedures. I believe there is no need of Gap Analysis for a startup company. But still I would like to confirm if there is any check list is available to startup and implement the quality standards

Yes we are involved in structural design and development activities for Tier2 aerospace suppliers and we don’t have production facilities. So we are mainly involved in Drawings and Stress Analysis


Thanks
 

Marc

Retired Old Goat
Staff member
Admin
#4
Re: Seeking Gap Analysis Checklist for EN AS9100

Have you outlined your existing and intended systems?

I suggest you don't need a Gap Analysis. All a Gap Analysis is is essentially an Audit Check List which lists the line items of requirements.

You need to take a copy of the standard, read it, understand what it requires, and figure out what systems and documentation are required in addition to those you have already planned. At this point in your system development if you do not do this, you will not understand what you are putting together.

Is this structural design and development of buildings or what? What, exactly, do you design and develop?
 
S

sasiengineer

#5
Re: Seeking Gap Analysis Checklist for EN AS9100

Marc said:
Have you outlined your existing and intended systems?

I suggest you don't need a Gap Analysis. All a Gap Analysis is is essentially an Audit Check List which lists the line items of requirements.

You need to take a copy of the standard, read it, understand what it requires, and figure out what systems and documentation are required in addition to those you have already planned. At this point in your system development if you do not do this, you will not understand what you are putting together.

Is this structural design and development of buildings or what? What, exactly, do you design and develop?

Thanks for your great suggestions. I am Having ISO 9001:2000 / SAE AS9100 Rev. B Audit Checklist.I am following the standards avaialble in the checklist.

The Key areas we focus on are
Design & development-aero structures (e.g. wings, fuselages)
Interior Refurbishment designs
Wiring Harness
Avionics related structural services
And FE Analysis, Structural Dynamics and Fatigue and Fracture Analysis

My company not involved in Production (ie. Manufacturing) can I exclude any clause from (7.5) the AS 9100 standard?

Thanks Again
 

Marc

Retired Old Goat
Staff member
Admin
#6
Re: Implementing a Quality System in a Startup Company - AS9100

I retitled this thread to Implementing a Quality System in a Startup Company - AS9100 because that appears to be what the real issue is.

Are you already supplying customers?
 
S

sasiengineer

#7
Re: Implementing a Quality System in a Startup Company - AS9100

Yes we already started supporting customers on design and analysis.

Today’s most successful companies know the importance of having a proven Quality Management System in place. Our Company is working on becoming AS 9100 Registered.

I Hope, By implementing a Quality Management System that complies with AS 9100 we will be able to make our company run more efficiently, increase our customers’ satisfaction and communicate to potential customers.
 

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Staff member
Super Moderator
#8
Re: Implementing a Quality System in a Startup Company - AS9100

sasiengineer said:
Yes we already started supporting customers on design and analysis.

Today’s most successful companies know the importance of having a proven Quality Management System in place. Our Company is working on becoming AS 9100 Registered.

I Hope, By implementing a Quality Management System that complies with AS 9100 we will be able to make our company run more efficiently, increase our customers’ satisfaction and communicate to potential customers.

May I suggest that you start by flow charting your design and support processes. Discuss with each person how they perform their jobs, determine your customer requirements (AS9100) review the standard as Marc suggested. Develop Company policy, delvelop procedures and send them for review to your Management team for their review and input. Develop an Internal Audit System, set training guidelines with who ever will be responsible for training, and develop a basic training session with all of the employees to give them a basic understanding of AS9100 and your company's policy's and procedures.

I hope this will get you started, but there is an advantage to not having any policies or procedures in place, because you and your support group will be able to define your business.

It will take you at least 1 year (in my opinion) to establish the system, perform internal audits and so forth, but if there is a lack of a lot of experience in developing and designing a QMS it could take longer.

Take it step by step.
 
Last edited:
S

sasiengineer

#9
Re: Implementing a Quality System in a Startup Company - AS9100

Thanks Mr.Coury Ferguson.

I am sure your valuable point will help me lot to develop the system.

We do only design and development (aero structures) & Analysis activities and not involve in any manufacturing. Is there is any exclusion in any AS 9100clause?
 

CarolX

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
#10
Re: Implementing a Quality System in a Startup Company - AS9100

sasiengineer said:
Thanks Mr.Coury Ferguson.

I am sure your valuable point will help me lot to develop the system.

We do only design and development (aero structures) & Analysis activities and not involve in any manufacturing. Is there is any exclusion in any AS 9100clause?
Please review badgerman's answer to your similar question in this thread.

EN AS 9100 Permissible Exclusion and Provision - Aerospace design and development

He can certainly guide you, but more information is needed.
 
Last edited:

Top Bottom