Implementing ISO 9001:2008 in a small Sales and Service company

C

ClampOnCR

First, I would like to say thanks for this forum's contributions. I have gathered a good deal of beginner knowledge. This has only lead me to more confusion. So here is my situation:

Background: I come previously from a mid-size ISO 9001:2008 certified company. This company designed, manufactured, sold, and serviced heavy equipment. So the ISO system was huge and covered all aspects of the company. I worked within the system and was familiar with the system.

Present: I am now working for a small company (~15 employees) and our President has asked that I get us certified to ISO 9001. We are a subsidiary of an ISO 9001 certified company which designs, manufactures, sales, and services high tech instrumentation/monitoring equipment. We only sale this equipment which we get from our parent and perform field service/install/maintenance on this equipment.

I understand the quality policy, manual, and documentation. However, to what extent do I need to implement ISO 9001 as we really only have two processes: Sales and Service? Can I take exception to 7.3 as we do no design/development of product? Can I take exception to 7.4 as we make no purchases aside from general office supplies and travel?

I would like to keep our QMS SHORT and SIMPLE to avoid undue use of resources within such a small organization while still managing customer satisfaction.

As of now I have done nothing but research on implementing ISO. However, I am eager to get the ball rolling.

Any help, tips, suggestions, guides, etc. are appreciated.

Mikishots

Trusted Information Resource
You will have more than two processes if you are expecting to pursue ISO 9001. You cannot claim exemptions to corrective action, preventive action, internal audits, control of nonconformances, control of documents and control of records. As a very basic minimum, you have SIX, not including your identified Sales and Service processes.

Your desired exemptions are fine as long as you can show that by not doing them, customer, statutory and regulatory requirements aren't being affected. I can't say because I don't know what type of high tech equipment you make or who the customers are; it's for you to determine.

C

ClampOnCR

Thank you Mikishots.

To clarify I understand that I must include those processes but as far as the actual business processes we perform is what I was referring to. Yes those exemptions will in no way effect customers or any other concerned party. We are in the oil and gas industry. However, our equipment is not involved in any type of integral part for safety or function.

C

ClampOnCR

Thank you Yodon,

I do understand that my "product" is sales and service. I certainly will be approaching the QMS from this direction. Here is my thoughts on beginning to outline the system:

1. Determine what steps are involved to complete each of the processes.
2. Determine what documents are used/generated
3. Establish process/procedures in a flowchart form (hopefully) designating inputs, outputs, etc.
4. Establish control for the forms (Ownership, Location, Etc.)
5. Establish control for records (Location, Length of Retention, Etc.)
6. Then establish our quality objectives and determine where we can perform our data acquisition for Non-conformance and Process Improvement.

I am not sure if there is a better way to go about this.

Big Jim

Admin
The approach I take is to start by determining your scope statement, at least in rough draft. Improvements can come later.

Then proceed to identifying/determining your core business processes. They might be something like this: Sales, Planning, Purchasing (and yes, you may want to not exclude it, depending on just what you buy), QA, Fulfillment (picking and filling the customer orders), Service, and Support Processes. Make sure that you use terminology for those names that match your common usage. Often it is more a matter of identifying what you already do rather than determining something new.

Once identified, figure out how they interact and create a chart to show how they interact. Keep the chart simple. It doesn't need to be a flow chart.

Create an organization chart so you clearly understand responsibilities and authorities throughout the organization.

Determine a set of Quality Objectives and align them with the core processes as KPI. For a clue about what to measure, check out element 8.4.

Somewhere along the way you need to determine what procedures (not to be confused with processes) that you need to document beyond the basic six (4.2.3, 4.2.4, 8.2.2, 8.3, 8.5.2, & 8.5.3).

This will provide most of what you need to develop a quality manual and whatever written procedures you determine you need.

C

ClampOnCR

Jim,

Thank you for the post. I appreciate the help. I am going to attempt to get this thing lined out within the next month. I am quite sure there will be several more questions so I will keep the thread active in case anyone else is in my position at the moment.

Billy M

Starting to get Involved
Just remember that for a small company and limited processes, do not overdocument your system. This is a common mistake for small companies and for people setting up the ISO system for the first time.

You can claim exemptions only under clause 7. Many companies that just purchase product will claim 7.3 for design, but may also claim 7.5.2 for Validation of product and 7.5.4 for customer property if they only sell their own product and do not receive actual parts or intellectual property from the customer (drawings, specifications, etc.).

You are also only required to have 6 procedures as required by ISO 9001. However, the standard says you document to the extent necessary for additional processes or requirements. If you are only doing sales and service, then you may need to document work instructions or flowcharts for the service side. Ensure that the personnel performing these activities are trained and certified as competent to perform these tasks.

If you follow the KISS principle (Keep It Simple, Stupid), then you should be fine. Determine what measurements you need in your system, as required by the standard, and what other beneficial measurements might be meaningful. All those should be done by keeping in mind one of the biggest requirements of the standard - customer satisfaction.

Best of luck!

C

ClampOnCR

Thanks Billy. Coming from a large complex ISO system previously, I am approaching this to be minimalistic so as to not overburden our small workforce. You are totally right about KISS. There is no better way.

C

ClampOnCR

Does anyone have a good powerpoint that I can use to show our 14 employees what ISO 9001 is? I have seen several and am looking for a good recommendation.

Top Bottom