SBS - The best value in QMS software

Implementing ISO 9001 - I need it all! Please tell me the bare bones!

K

kmyers

HI,

I am brand new to a small(less than 20 employee machine shop). This company has been in business for 7 years. We have approx. 500 part numbers. We want to be ISO 9001 certified and currently all I have is a quality manual template.

Please tell me the BARE MINIMUM and provide me with any templates that you may have. I have been given an unrealistic goal regarding timing also so the sooner the better.

Thanks,

Kris:truce:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Re: I need it all! Please tell me the bare bones!

HI,

I am brand new to a small(less than 20 employee machine shop). This company has been in business for 7 years. We have approx. 500 part numbers. We want to be ISO 9001 certified and currently all I have is a quality manual template.

Please tell me the BARE MINIMUM and provide me with any templates that you may have. I have been given an unrealistic goal regarding timing also so the sooner the better.

Thanks,

Kris:

First off, welcome to the Cove and the wonderful world of Management Systems! :bigwave: The Cove is full of information and templates, so here are some hints to finding what you are looking for.
  • Having a general request for the bare minimum will result in probably few value-added responses and potentially some sarcastic comments about implementing a "bare minimum" management system. I'm sure that the latter is not your intent. :D
  • Towards the top, you'll see links to our attachments section - lots of useful templates there for you to sift through - and the free files section - there's a link to information on implementing a quality management system in there.
  • Towards the top right (below the Welcome box) is the Search function. Please use it! Type in ISO 9001 Implementation and I'm certain you'll receive lots of links.

Why do I suggest this? Other than the fact that Moderators are here to help you and point you in the right direction, it can be frustrating for Cove members to see the same general questions repeatedly. If, on one of the linked-to threads, you wish to add on, please do so! :D Or, if after reading a linked-to thread, you have a more specific question, please post it.

A rule of thumb in the Cove is "A general question will receive a general answer."

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Staff member
Super Moderator

First - Welcome to the cove - there's no better place for free consulting.

Have you tried the search function? There are loads of sample quality manuals as attachments for the picking.

But I have to ask -
Why are you seeking certification?

Honestly - if you (or your management) want just bare bones to meet the requirements and get a piece of paper on the wall you're in for a big surprise.

What's your time frame?

K

kmyers

Thanks Roxanne,
I guess I was a little vague in my yell for help. My main dilemma is what is the minimum that I need as far as procedures, work instructions, do I have to have control plans for every part, remember I have over 500 part numbers, do I need work instructions for every part #. :mg:

I am just overwhelmed right now and am just looking for some direction, I have always worked in a structured automotive environment and now I am in a job shop mnon automotive machine shop.

Thanks,

Kris
:tg:

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Have you taken a course on Implementing ISO 9001? I highly recommend it. Yes, we can tell you that there is a requirement for a quality manual and 6 procedures and even what those 6 procedures are, however, a course will help you to understand WHY and HOW there are all of those requirements in the Standard.

FYI, though, the 6 required procedures are:
  • Document Control
  • Records Control
  • Internal Audits
  • Control of Nonconforming Product
  • Corrective Action
  • Preventive Action

The caveat is that you will also have documentation where the absence of the document may adversely impact the organization's ability to meet requirements.

Of course, if you have read the standard, you might be scratching your head and asking yourself "Hey, do I really need six procedures or can I merge some of them?" Guess what? We've already discussed this in the Cove!

Maybe you're wondering if you need actual procedures or if everything can go into the manual. Guess what? We've already discussed this in the Cove!

You might be looking at the requirements for the Quality Manual and wondering what the heck it's supposed to cover and what it means by "...sequence and interaction of these processes." Guess what? We've already discussed this in the Cove!

Many of us in the Cove have been in - and are still in - the same position you currently find yourself. You are not alone! :bighug: I've been in the management systems world for over 10 years and continue to learn things almost every time I visit the Cove.

One advantage to taking a course on Implementing ISO 9001 is that you will learn the "bare minimum" requirments that may help you to find some structure within the chaos.

You're in Michigan, right? There are bound to be plenty of courses in the area on this very subject. If you're company is unwilling to pay for you to take the course, I would question management's committment to this venture. One of the requirements of ISO 9001 is that top management is to provide the necessary resources to ensuring requirements are met - this includes competent people, training, and $$$.

That being said, please take a look at the Free Files link near the top of the screen. There is a link to QMS Implementation that might help you organize your thoughts and prompt more specific questions.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin

Taking a class in ISO is good advice. :agree:

This is not a time for learn-as-you-implement. The subject of QMS is too big for a novice to succeed with in a short time frame. Nor do I recommend hiring a consultant to "make you certified". You can do it, but your process will run more efficiently if you first take a week to take a class in this subject. The expense would be offset by avoiding the frustrations and wasted time in making mistakes and wrong turns.

We can answer questions and are happy to do so, but you need an educational basis for understanding the answers and selecting the variety of choices we will present you with. We're a very diverse crowd here.

When you go to class (I hope this is the one piece of my advice you take, if you take only one) bring with you a list of types of products you make, categorized by their similarities. Also come armed with a list of your types of customers (names aren't needed). This would help you imagine how to apply the lessons to suit your needs, and it would help you to ask meaningful question in the class sessions.

If you don't have a laptop to take with you, I would select a hotel that has free computer access in the lobby for guests. This is so you can log in to The Cove after each day's class and ask about subjects that confuse you, or you have trouble applying to your needs, or how you would get it done. This way we can send you to threads and tools that are most pertinent and timely.

I hope this helps!

BradM

Staff member
Admin

Thanks Roxanne,
I guess I was a little vague in my yell for help. My main dilemma is what is the minimum that I need as far as procedures, work instructions, do I have to have control plans for every part, remember I have over 500 part numbers, do I need work instructions for every part #. :mg:

I am just overwhelmed right now and am just looking for some direction, I have always worked in a structured automotive environment and now I am in a job shop mnon automotive machine shop.

Thanks,

Kris
:tg:
Hello, Kris!

First you will probably want to buy the standard. As you read the standard, observe the different sections, and begin to think about addressing the different sections.

Next, look at your current process and see how you do things. Do you do pretty well? Saying, maybe a large part of the work will be documenting what you are already doing.

Hopefully, your general strategy will be something like this: 1) See what we do well, and the areas that need improvement. 2) Document the core strengths, and spend more time on the areas that need improvement. 3) communicate from start to finish with upper management, getting constant feedback from them on the Quality Policy, the objective of the QMS, and aligning the QMS with the Strategies of the shop.

I think the advice given previously about ISO training is a really good one. First, you need to understand the standard. Too, it demonstrates management commitment, as it costs money. If management won't pay for training, that is a good indicator there will be problems creep up on you in a short time frame.

As much time as you can dedicate, read through the threads here. There is so much information you can learn from. And.... keep the questions coming!

As to your question above... it will depend on your process and what you want to do. You might can group your parts into similar processes and cover them with a handful of instructions. You may can get by with 1 instruction; it might take 500. Talk to your management about it, but more importantly, talk to the floor folks who make the parts; they'll probably know best.

BradM

Staff member
Admin

Good post, Jennifer.

If you don't have a laptop to take with you, I would select a hotel that has free computer access in the lobby for guests. This is so you can log in to The Cove after each day's class and ask about subjects that confuse you, or you have trouble applying to your needs, or how you would get it done. This way we can send you to threads and tools that are most pertinent and timely.

I hope this helps!
I might suggest that management get you a laptop. I bet after everything is said and done, it will save enough money to pay for itself.

P

Peter West

I am unsure from the posts if you are aware of 9001's finer points and just need advice on implementing them or if you are (as I was 4 months ago) completely new to quality management.

If you are running to a fine deadline you may need to be honest with management and tell them to think twice. If that doesnt sound too hopefuly then all the information you need about 9001 is...in the Standard :read:.

If you read through it a few times (it isnt that difficult a read after the 2nd time) then you can identify what is needed at your company, and what is already in existence (albeit under a different name maybe). There are plenty of examples here of Quality Manuals, procedures, audit forms, records for training, documentation management etc etc. Just make sure that you produce final documents that relate to your company and the way it works, and not a copy of a document you find online unless it fits with your system (it will be clear to an external auditor if the QMS is disjointed).

Nearly anything you could possibly conceive needing (to become 9001 certified) will be online here. The people on the Cove are more of an asset then any other info service I have experienced.

B

billssss

HI,

Thanks,

Hi Kris,

You are describing exactly my situation. The 500 part numbers, less than 20 employee machine shop, wanting to be ISO900 certified, and coming from the structured auto industry. Only difference is my place has been in business since 1945 and I don't feel as pressured as you sound.

Maybe we can talk some via PM.

Thanks,
Bill S.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I First Time Implementing Document Control for ISO-9001 - how far back do you go? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 15
G Heavy Civil Construction Company Implementing ISO 9001:2015 for Certification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
Q Easy Way of "Implementing" Risk in ISO 9001 2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
L Implementing ISO 9001 in small Trading Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
F Implementing ISO 9001:2008 in a new Food Processing company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
M Implementing ISO 9001 in an Assembly Plant ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Q Implementing ISO 9001 and ISO 22000 systems at the same time Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
C Implementing ISO 9001 - Getting whole team buy-in? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 25
M ISO 9001 - Implementing 7.3.2 - 7.3.7 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
C Starting a Quality Department from Scratch and Implementing ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 32
S Implementing ISO 9001 and ISO 17025 separately or together ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
C Implementing ISO 9001:2008 in a small Sales and Service company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 38
S Implementing ISO 9001 for a small fabrication company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
L Implementing ISO 9001: 2008 in a Dietary Supplement Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
T Implementing ISO 9001 in a Home Business ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
L Implementing ISO 13485 with an ISO 9001:2008 QMS ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
G Implementing Dual Standards in a Company - ISO 9001 & AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
H Implementing ISO 14001 versus Implementing ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
C Suggestion for Implementing ISO 9001 in a Start-Up Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
S Implementing ISO 9001 at our company for the first time ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
R Quality Manager Training Methods - Learning and Implementing ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26
B Understanding and Implementing ISO 9001 in a Small Manufacturing Business ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
C Implementing ISO 9001 - One Department at a Time - Internal Provision Only ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 29
Z ISO 9001 Implementing Performance in all Countries of the World ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
D Implementing ISO 9001:2008 - Had a New Center Merged with Our Organization ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
A Lost Cause for Understanding and Implementing ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 29
E Implementing ISO 9001 and an Example of a Quality Manual anyone? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
A The Journey, the Audits, my Experience - Implementing ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
B Need Assistance for Implementing ISO 9001 in our organisation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
G Requirements for Implementing an ISO 9001:2008 Quality Management System (QMS) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
M Implementing ISO 9001 in a Training Center ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
T Implementing ISO 9001 in an Architectural Practice ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
S Structure for Implementing ISO 9001 - Detailed action plan of the significant steps ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
S Where and What Template to Purchase for implementing ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
Q How to find definitions from ISO 9001 when implementing ISO 13485? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
S Implementing ISO 9001:2008 - Where to Start? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 15
Marc Implementing ISO 9001 in a Business ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
T Training & Induction Records - Implementing ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
L Implementing ISO 9001 in a Startup Business ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
K Culture Shock and Things Need to Change - Implementing ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
K Template for preparing Consultant's Proposal for Implementing ISO 9001:2000 Consultants and Consulting 29
A How has your Organization Benefited from Implementing ISO 9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
D Are we going through the right steps while implementing ISO 9001:2000 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
C Implementing ISO 9001 in a school (Education) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
N Practically implementing ISO 9001:2000 Clause 7.2.2 Contract Review Contract Review Process 10
J Reasons for Implementing ISO 9001 - Findings from a Survey of 326 Businesses The Reading Room 0
L Implementing ISO 9001 - Document every clause? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
S How do I get started implementing ISO 9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
D Implementing ISO 9001:2000 in a Restaurant ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 54
R New to ISO9001 - Implementing ISO 9001 at company - Resources and where to start ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11