Implementing TL 9000 from scratch - Small (3 paid employees) company

K

Kalcon

If possible, I need some help implementing TL 9000 for my company.

First off, I'd like to say that I've been researching and reading the other TL 9000 threads in an effort to garner as much information as possible, and everything here from Jaimezepeda's posts to the Elsmar modules have helped me immensely.

Our company is a very small (3 paid employees), tightly-knit, and slightly informal business that designs & installs telecommunications central office equipment (bays, cabinets, etc) for service providers. Actually, all of our engineers and installers are independent contractors, and all our materials (steel beams, cables, etc) come from other manufacturers. All we really do is hire the guys to design the equipment layouts and bolt stuff together, and store the pre-made materials prior to delivery to the worksite.

We are currently under mandate to become TL 9000 certified by July 2005.
Unfortunately, our company has never had an in-depth, serious QMS in place before, and I am trying to get us ISO 9001: 2000 compliant at the same time (we're only seeking TL 9000 registration, but since TL is built on ISO, it can only help us).

I've planned for implementation to take until March 1, at which point we'll start the 3 months of measurements: June will be for the preregistration audit and corrective actions before the real deal in July.

From what I can gather, we'll be trying to certify under Category Codes 7.1 (Installation service) and 7.2.1 (Network engineering service).

Our only paid employees are a material manager, a projects coordinator, and the CEO ( I myself am an indpendent consultant).

My first question (of many) is this: In terms of processes and procedures, am I right in thinking that the majority of our procedures and process flowcharts will revolve around ensuring the contractors are providing us with quality services, and, if so, are there any exclusions or special clauses I need to look out for when trying to implement the related flowcharts and paperwork records?

Second question: As our company is so small, I'm thinking it shouldn't be too hard to implement TL 9000 in six months: everybody is eager to participate in implementing a real quality system, and internal and external communication is currently fairly informal but efficient. Am I on the right track so far, or am I leading the company towards a serious train wreck in terms of planning and scheduling?

I've written a guide for my company that highlights the procedures, processes, and paperwork required by both ISO and TL 9000, and will be holding an implementation kickoff meeting tomorrow for the employees, where we'll go over what we need to do.

I appreciate and am desperately thankful for any advice or help you guys can give me, and I'll keep reading and researching, and checking these boards often.

Thanks!
Kalcon

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jaimezepeda

Implementing TL 9000

Kalcon,

Welcome to The Cove.

I am glad to learn you have been helped by The Cove.

I have not been able to find any knowledge base for TL 9000 besides The Cove.

I will try to address some of your questions as I have time to review them. I can address your measurements question directly.

QuEST allows you to report any 3 consecutive monthly measurement reports prior to registration. The 3 consecutive months reported can be in the past. Of course this is only possible if you are able to collect the data and report it appropriately. So, you may already have your measurements required prior to registration. All you need to do is pay QuEST for a registration and submit your data.

It may be possible to have your registrar issue separate ISO 9001 and TL 9000 certificates upon registration. You can then show you are ISO 9001 registered as well. After all, TL 9000 is ISO with about 80 extra requirements.

I'll try to provide some more answers as I have time to review your post.

I wish you success on your project and please be sure to post your experience here.

Jaime

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Welcome to the Cove:bigwave:

In general concept
(My first question (of many) is this: In terms of processes and procedures, am I right in thinking that the majority of our procedures and process flowcharts will revolve around ensuring the contractors are providing us with quality services, and, if so, are there any exclusions or special clauses I need to look out for when trying to implement the related flowcharts and paperwork records?)
I agree with your approach. One additional caution is to be careful in the manner in which you "ensure" the independent contractors provide you with quality services. It will all have to be done with contracts and work orders WITHOUT endangering the "independent contractor" status which could give your company liability for collecting and paying Social Security taxes.

One of the methods you might consider is a seminar (voluntary attendance - else you will have to beware the tax man) on your company's methods and quality factors. Essentially you are putting your company in the business of being a Supplier Quality Assurance engineer who preapproves independent contractors before giving them contracts and then makes periodic checks on performance to ensure continued compliance to your requirements.

Try to maintain the concept the contractors work for YOU as the paying entity, despite the fact the money ultimately comes from the client at whose site the equipment is installed. (i.e. the contractor satisfies you, you satisfy the end customer.) This means you take responsibility for the final installation meeting the final customer's requirements.

Top Bottom