Importer shell game - Using a third party logistics provider (3PL) in the EU

Chrisx

Involved In Discussions
We are a US orthopedic manufacturer using a third party logistics provider (3PL) in the EU to warehouse inventory, ship to our distributors and process loaner inventory. The 3PL would appear to meet the definition of importer per the MDR. The 3PL is placing devices from a third country on the Union market. They would thru their normal business processes add shipping labels and shipping documents to the shipments that would have fulfilled the requirements to identify the importer as required by the MDR. The 3PL is now telling me they can't be the importer and I must identify a 3rd party as the importer. They recommended an importer service provider https://www.luctormedical.com/eu-mdr-importer/. This seems like I am just setting up a 2nd EU authorized representative, so that the true importer doesn't have to register in Eudamed. Is this really what the authors of the MDR envisaged. It seems we are just creating a shell game to hide the identity of importers. What is the point of the importer if they can use a 3rd party to register. Their are no requirements in the MDR for the manufacturer to enforce this with the importer. Is the manufacturer responsible for ensuring the importer (who ever that really is???) acts appropriately per the MDR? This all seems like a shell game to me in order to hide the identity of importers. I now wonder if our EU authorized representative would agree to also serve as the importer, since they seem to do the same thing.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

twanmul

Involved In Discussions
I'd advise them that you aren't willing to register with a third party "importer" (this is how that company you'd linked to put it, but the Regulation implies that the importer takes physical receipt of the product. I think what the linked compy are doing is exploiting the letter of the regulation but isn't necessarily in keeping with the spirit) and that if your 3PL isn't willing to be the importer, you'll have to switch to an alternate distributor who is willing to act as the importer.

Chrisx

Involved In Discussions
The 3PL confirmed that they are avoiding acting as the importer due to concerns over liability. It would seem to me that if a natural or legal person physically receives a product from a third country and further ships it to distributors, then they are by definition the importer. My main concern is that things like this have a way of trickling down hill. The competent authorities lack the resources to enforce the regulation, so they push it on the notified bodies. The notified bodies push it on the manufacturer to enforce the requirements on the importer. Maybe, I'm paranoid or don't understand the regulation correctly?

L_O_B

Involved In Discussions
This is actually not that easy and similar questions come up a lot currently.

The technical terms are very important in that context.
The importer is the one placing a device from a third party on the Union market. As you all know, placing on the market is the first making available on the market of a unit.

Considering:
"The making available of a product supposes an offer or an agreement (written or verbal) between two or more legal or natural persons for the transfer of ownership, possession or any other right concerning the product in question after the stage of manufacture has taken place. The transfer does not necessarily require the physical handover of the product." (Blue Guide)

Now, does the 3PL offer the devices to the distributors, or are you offering the device and 3PL is just handling the logistics on your behalf? In that case, 3PL is a fulfilment service provider (see regulation (EU) 2019/1020). However, if 3PL offers the devices in their own name, they are the importer of the device. Fulfilment service providers do not have defined requirements in the MDR.

There is no regulatory requirement for you to control your importer(s). Although, it is in your interest that your importer (and also your distributors) complies with regulatory requirements, because non-compliances could affect the market access for your devices. Keeping this in mind and also considering that the requirements for importers are stricter that for distributors, it makes sense to only have one importer for your devices in Europe. Nevertheless, I can also understand that the 3PL is not interested in acting as an importer and assuming the services they offer, they probably do not fall under the definition. In this scenario, all distributors receiving devices from the 3PL would become importers and would have to comply with the importer requirements accordingly.

Importers have to be very careful as they have a lot of legal obligations and liabilities under MDR, and they are required to register for EUDAMED to verify the data for the products they are responsible for. We have produced templates to help with the legal obligations of all the Economic operators.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nigel-S

Starting to get Involved
I have a very similar situation. Shipping from Canada to a 3PL in the Netherlands. We have our own VAT # being registered in the Netherlands so that we can act as our own importer as we have for a long time now. However the MDR seems to indicate that we will not be able to continue to be our own importer - (there is a separate post on my issue and not wishing to hijack this post).
Chrisx, did you get any further with your 3PL/importer issue?
Cheers, Nigel

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Importer of record - Europe EU Medical Device Regulations 0
R Importers - For the FDA Registration/ Listing, is the CMO the importer? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 6
S Importer definition EU Medical Device Regulations 0
P Importer Needed? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
P Economic operator responsibilities - when the Importer is also Distributor - Article 13 EU Medical Device Regulations 1
K More than one importer for the same device EU Medical Device Regulations 3
I Importer Address in addition to Manufacturer details on label EU Medical Device Regulations 13
S Medical Device Initial Importer (DII) Requirements - Delivery Address 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
B Roles of Manufacturer vs. Importer vs. Distributor CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
C MDR Importer/Distributor Definition Questions EU Medical Device Regulations 5
S Initial Importer and ISO 13485 (MDSAP) - Will the US company be included? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
S Should an Initial Importer separately do Establishment Registration? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
F Importer and US agent needed after FDA clearance? Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
M Manufacturer - Distributor (Importer) Relationships Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
S Registration/Listing; Initial Importer - Private Label w/ Foreign Establishment 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
N New MDR EU Medical Device/IVD Regulations - Definition of Importer EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S Importer and Registered Place of Business in EU EU Medical Device Regulations 1
V Inspection of Initial Importer/ Distributor Products and Materials 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
C Service and maintenance in an initial importer facility USA 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
E Addition of Label by Initial Importer 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
S Struggling with definition of Initial Importer and First Title 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
S Korean Licence Holder - Importer - Distributor Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
K Thailand Medical Device Registration - Transfer importer Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
G Medical Device Company US Importer/Distributer Status 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
W Contract Initial Importer and Order Handling for a Class I Medical Device Service Industry Specific Topics 2
L How to change the status of "Initial Importer" on the FURLS site US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
D Medical Device Importer, Distributor, or Manufacturer? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
R AUSTRALIA - TGA/APVMA manufacturer, sponser or importer? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
K 820.180(b) Record Retention - Does it apply here? We act as the initial Importer 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
A Canada Importer Record Retention Requirements - Disagreement with NB auditor Canada Medical Device Regulations 5
S What do we need for a DMR? Importer of Record and Going Crazy! 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
D What kind of DMR must a Medical Importer have? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 8
J Can you have more than one distributor/importer in Brazil?? Registrars and Notified Bodies 5
bio_subbu Good Importer Practices - Draft Guidance 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
bio_subbu GHTF definition of Manufacturer, Authorized Representative, Distributor and Importer Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
M CE requirement for software importer / reseller - Class II for FDA and Health Canada EU Medical Device Regulations 1
F Monitoring and Measuring Devices - Importer but also service to copyprinters, etc. ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
J PPAP for Importers - Midsized Fastener Importer / Distributor APQP and PPAP 3
C RoHS on Shell Ensis Oil RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 7
S Babbetting of Bearings - Improper bond between the Bearing shell and the Babbett Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
8 Creating Flow and Pull Game Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
L Game Changer - Standing Apart from our Competitors Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 11
D Mad Metrology - A fun Metrology Game General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
K Soccer Game: Philippine Azkals vs LA Galaxy. Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
8 Single Piece Flow Game - Understanding the Principles and Logic of Single Piece Flow Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
W Is ITAR fair game for audit during AS9100 Registration AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
H TPM Game/Simulation/Exercise Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
J Lean Simulation Game Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 9
Q Brain Game - Memorize the number position Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 9
J New 3 words game Brain Teasers and Puzzles 22