Importing a Registered Class II Device, the Applying Our Label - Need New 510(k)?

My firm manufactures and distributes several of our own Class II medical devices. We would now like to import a class II device from an overseas manufacturer who is registered with the FDA and has a 510(k) for the device. We then want to relabel the product with our own label (with basic company name and item name information), and market the product as our own device. The overseas manufacturer is fine with this. But, would we need to get a 510(k) for the product, or just list it with our other device listings?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
We then want to relabel the product with our own label (with basic company name and item name information), and market the product as our own device.
This statement needs to be clarified really well to allow unequivocal conclusions about your obligations. Which (if any) of the following statements are false?

- The old labelling will stay
- The actual manufacturer’s details - name, address, contacts, as well as the original item tradename, will be removed / avoided / covered in a reliable and durable way
- You will only add your company’s name, address & contacts, and your own item tradename
- You do not intend to use the “distributed by / manufactured for” clause in the labelling regulations
- Your company will take full regulatory responsibility for the device, including fulfilling any and all regulatory requirements that apply to a Manufacturer, for this device
- Your company has knowledge and expertise regarding the type of the device in question (application, technology, design etc.) that is not vastly inferior to that of the actual manufacturer

Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated. Answers are below:

- The old labelling will stay - I just learned that this product will come in unlabeled. That should simplify things.
- The actual manufacturer’s details - name, address, contacts, as well as the original item tradename, will be removed / avoided / covered in a reliable and durable way - N/A since the product will arrive unlabeled.
- You will only add your company’s name, address & contacts, and your own item tradename - False. We will also add directions for use.

- You do not intend to use the “distributed by / manufactured for” clause in the labelling regulations - The label will state "Manufactured for" us.
- Your company will take full regulatory responsibility for the device, including fulfilling any and all regulatory requirements that apply to a Manufacturer, for this device - False. We intend to take on the regulatory responsibility for a relabeler in this case. Seems like the best fit when looking at the definitions for Initial Importer, Relabeler, etc...
- Your company has knowledge and expertise regarding the type of the device in question (application, technology, design etc.) that is not vastly inferior to that of the actual manufacturer - True. We have expertise in this area.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Thanks. One more question:

You noted “We will also add directions for use.” Are the new labelling contents going to be identical to the original’s (except company identification and device tradename)?

Added in edit: An interesting Elsmar thread that maybe useful for you.

Last edited:
That's a good question. I just found out that they will come in without instructions, and that we will insert our own Direction For Use document.

After reading the other thread, and FDA's requirements, I feel comfortable listing the product in our FDA device listings, while noting the OEM's 510(k). I was wondering if we'd need to submit a new 510(k), but that does not appear to be the case.

Thanks for the help. Such a good resource.

Re: Re-packager/Re-Labeler - FDA Registration question
I’ve read through here and I’ve got the understanding of where I think my company belongs, but here’s where I’m lost. We take a bulk pack device that is sold nonsterile and relabel it repackage it and sterilize it. We have a PLD agreement with the manufacturer and they know we do this. We import the device from Germany. The device was 510(k) approved for user sterilization (moist heat) and we are doing Gamma. What do we need to have in place to satisfy the FDa

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Importing exempt Class I device from non-registered manufacturer 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
D Importing a general wellness low risk product Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
I Importing prototype without CE (dos and don'ts ) EU Medical Device Regulations 9
S Importing Medical devices class I in EU Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 5
O Importing a Medical Device from abroad 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
F Mexico Medical Device Importing and Servicing Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
ScottK Importing medical device for use in fit testing of packaging Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
M Importing medical devices to EU, Germany EU Medical Device Regulations 6
M Importing a Demo Medical Device into the US US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
J Requirements for Importing Research Use Only Medical Devices into Japan Japan Medical Device Regulations 1
JanWarner Importing a Finished Medical Device from China (tooth whitener w/ peroxide) China Medical Device Regulations 2
O Importing Data via Script - Assign Column as Text (Minitab) Using Minitab Software 3
W What Information is provided when Importing Products into USA US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
T Importing Non-Electromedical Device (PACS Software) into South Africa Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
S Importing a DC motor to UK that is less than 50VDC CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 11
P Requirements for Importing Hydrocolloid Bandages into the US from China Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
Q FDA Registration and Importing Medical Device Components 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
M South Korea Importing Rules for Privately Labeled Medical Devices Advice wanted Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
N Importing Diagnostic kit from US, UK Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
B Class I Medical Device Importing for OEM Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A Importing Sample Medical Devices into South Korea ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
M Importing Material before the 510(k) is Approved 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
M Importing CE marked Syringes Into the US Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
I Importing Medical Devices into the USA from Germany (Drop Shipments) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
D Importing Class II Male Latex Condoms From China to US Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
R Importing Breathalyzers into the USA 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
Stijloor Importing Address Books (Thunderbird and Outlook Express) into Windows Live Mail After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 3
G Importing Medical Device Software to India - Diagnostic Imaging Application Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 8
L Importing CSV (comma separated values) / Excel process steps into Visio diagram Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 2
S Exporting then re-Importing 510(k) device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
S Regulations for importing an IVD diagnostic test in India Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 16
bio_subbu CDSCO?s checklist on importing non-critical IVD products in India Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
amjadrana Importing Medical Devices with Computers as part of the device in Turkey Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
D Medical Device Regulations - Importing to Singapore - Orthodontic brackets Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
D How to obtain NOC from DCGI (Drug Controller General of India) for importing drugs Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
G Portocal II - Importing procedures Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 2
H Regulation in Australia - Importing medical device (class IIa as per MDD 93/42/EEC) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
J Sister-company providing parts is only ISO 9001 registered IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
P Do I need to get registered or have German entity to sell IVD products in Germany? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
J Searching Registered Medical Devices in Argentina Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
M Can a PLD Registered in only one state sell prescription drugs to one in another state Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
M DI format for UDI after we have registered it with GS1 Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
Marc Conversations - Limitations for New Registered Members Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 8
Marc Old Registered Visitors "Pruned" from the Database - 20180916 Forum News and General Information 0
C First Aid Kit Compliance advice - Registered assembler with the MHRA EU Medical Device Regulations 1
supadrai Establishment registered as specification developer and foreign exporter only 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
Colin Effectiveness of IRCA Registered Training ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 4
S Importer and Registered Place of Business in EU EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Medical Device Change Requirements - Malaysia Registered Products Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
Crusader Who is registered to ISO 9001:2015? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 96