Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

Improving Safety Culture within an Organisation

batman1056

Involved In Discussions
I am looking for good examples of a development plan that seeks to improve safety culture within an organisation. Any examples of good and bad practice is welcome and any project flow plans for implementation (stage gates).

I think we are going down the RACI route but not that experieced with its application.

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
Top management has to make it a strategic priority, and really mean it.

Set up metrics to measure those aspects that are important to you - accidents, near misses, lost-time injuries, OSHA rate. Communicate these metrics frequently. Post them. Discuss them. Promote them continually.

Warn people and ticket people when seeing infractions or violations.

Set up an employee based Safety team to own the floor responsibilities.

Make sure Supervisors and Managers are on board with the safety goals.

Reward people for good improvements...

I am looking for good examples of a development plan that seeks to improve safety culture within an organisation. Any examples of good and bad practice is welcome and any project flow plans for implementation (stage gates).

I think we are going down the RACI route but not that experieced with its application.
The first question to ask is: 'Where are we now?'
If you want to improve safety culture I'm guessing the organisation isn't happy with current state and some of the measures mentioned in the other reply give you an indication of where the organisation is but I don't agree they form the basis of a plan.

The important thing here is you have to deal with people issues before you can start to implement some of the measures Helmut suggests.

Taking a simple example. If you are having a lot of accidents you have to understand why. The initial cause may be a person makes a mistake but there will be many cultural causes behind that mistake including for the individual, supervisor and top managers. Until you get a whole picture view you can't improve performance.

Take a Wikipedia reference-linkW._Edwards_Deming#Key_principles - Deming approach to safety culture - look at the 14 points he listed for quality and apply them to safety - they work just as well. :)

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Any examples of good and bad practice is welcome and any project flow plans for implementation (stage gates).
I don't have what you are looking for, but I can tell you this: if one of the first 3 stages dealing with Safety Culture does not involve the organization/site leadership and how THEY have to change behaviors, in order for a safety culture to prosper, the project is doomed.

As Helmut mentioned, safety management, to be done properly, HAS to start at the top of the organization. If you sense that all the responsibility is being directed to the underlings, rest assured, it WILL fail.

Good luck.

Frankie11

Involved In Discussions
I started with this survey: EDIT: DEAD LINK removed.

From there, me and my safety reps developed an action plan. The plan was posted throughout the factory and updated every fortnight. We also gave recognition every month to someone who went 'above and beyond'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello !

To resume you have to implement an occupational safety and health management system...

An important point : you must manage the occupational risks, not the accidents...

Bye.

batman1056

Involved In Discussions
Measuring and Improving Safety Culture

What is your experience in measuring culture and defining elements that influence changes in safety culture?

I am looking for a tool that can be done online AND paperbased which when combined can provide a gap analysis of potential areas that can influence and improve safety culture.

If you have not used a tool - but have positively influenced and changed the culture within your organisation how did you do it.

Essentially I believe any culture changes are like a strategy

1. Bench mark where are you now.​
2. Where do you want to be​
3. What are the gaps​
4. How do you get to where you want to be​
5. How do you know you have achieved it.​
Any info appreciated.

Marc

Captain Nice
Staff member
Admin
A quick bump -I'm reviewing hundreds of threads and posts for Dead Links and unanswered posts. My Thanks in advance for help answering posts like this. Bump...

Top Bottom