In 4.11 under Calibration Services states three ways of doing calibration

O

ovidiomolina

In 4.11 under Calibration Services states three ways of doing calibration of equipment:
a) In-House "Qualified Laboratory"
b) External (commercial) Acredited Laboratory
c) By governmental agency.

Question: Does a) imply that we have to establish a formal calibration laboratory ?. Besides, it has to be "qualified according to 4.10.6". Is that true ? Or I'm seeing this too straight ?

[This message has been edited by ovidiomolina (edited 04-18-99).]

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
B

Batman

Hi ovidiomolina!
4.10.6 is for any area considered a "lab" in your organization. If you calibrate micrometers, for instance, it is a "lab" under 4.10.6. If you fulfill the requirements of 4.10.6 - scope, procedures, material identification, storage and disposal - through your auditor's review, you then have a "qualified lab." You may then calibrate your micrometers in this lab.

The intent of 4.10.6 is more broad in scope than this example, mostly for product / materials testing.

O

ovidiomolina

Ok. But that is the problem. We have at least three maintenance areas responsible for preventive, corrective and predictive maintenance and the do the calibration of some instruments, but we do not considere these areas as "Calibration Labs"; besides some of the production areas do the calibration of their instruments and we do not considere these areas as "labs" either.
In the other hand, we have laboratories where chemical and mechanical determinations are made. Obviously the purpouse of these laboratories is the certification of product properties not the instrument calibration.

How can I accompish the issues stated in 4.11.2.b.1 without doing useless paperwork.

How can I counter argument an auditor who is expecting to see a "Formal Qualified Calibration Laboratory" for every single instrument used in the shop floor.

barb butrym

Quite Involved in Discussions
Find out if your registrar will be looking for that? If he is, then perhaps you have the wrong registrar. An auditor worth his salt won't be looking with that in mind.

B

Batman

Yes, I agree with Barb. Check to see what your auditor is going to look at.

Our maintenance department does the same thing. Our auditor looked for fulfillment of the preventive maintenance schedule. I would think these areas are not covered under 4.10.6.

Off-line material and chemical testing areas I think are covered in 4.10.6.

If you back up to 4.11.2.b, it refers to "identify all inspection, testing, and measuring equipment that affect product quality, and calibrate and adjust..."

In general, if you are using pressure gages to control equipment, for example, or based on certain pressure readings, making adjustments to the process, I think these gages then fall under this requirement. If however you are using a caliper to measure product features, then the pressure gage is just used for a process "setting," it goes outside this requirement, and into preventive maintenance. The calipers then come under this requirement, and they will likely be calibrated in a "lab."

This is how we are handling it in some areas.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Understanding AMS 2750D compliant calibration report - items under 3.2.6.2 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
R Calibration Companies - IASonline.org under Testing Laboratories General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
B Calibration 'Requirements' under ISO? Design and Development Laboratory M&TE Design and Development of Products and Processes 10
B Do IFU designs have to be document controlled under ISO 13485? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
D Does Manufacture can submit CE mark application under MDD with NB for his New product after May 2020? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
K Class III Kit Box - Are translations mandatory under EU MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
H Incomplete IVD kit under IVD Regulation EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Estimating the benefit-risk ration under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
F Is there such a thing as 'Critical supplier' status under the Dept. of Health (UK)? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
I Maintaining Technical Documentation under MDD and MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
T API Q1 - Will I be able to maintain Q1 if I have products that fall under 6A Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 5
W Issuing reports under ISO 17025:2017 ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
JoCam Software Translation under MDR requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 5
M MDR - Under what circumstances is a PMCF not required? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
P Adding "new" medical device to existing CER - under MDD CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
K Annex XVI Device Transition Timeline under the MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 2
N Medical Device Classification under MDR - Rule 21 EU Medical Device Regulations 11
U Do we need clinical trial data for Class IIa medical device under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 7
R Breast Pump under MDR classified as medical device? EU Medical Device Regulations 9
E Under MDR is a medical workstation a medical device or an accessory? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
E Can we still use MEDDEV 2.4/1 rev. 9 when classifying a medical device product under MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
D CE Marking Requirements MDD & MDR - new product development covered under same scope EU Medical Device Regulations 1
C Sterility and Bioburden Testing - LAL passed under 0.5EU/mL Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
A EAR costs and recommendations under MDR CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
M Informational EU – New notified body designated under the MDR – NB 2797 BSI Group The Netherlands B.V. Netherlands Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational EU – New notified body designated under the MDR – NB 1912 – DARE!! Services B.V. – Netherlands Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational Is my device a Reusable Surgical Instrument under the EU MDR(2017/745)? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
B Accredited laboratory or not under MDD 93/42/EEC IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 11
M Informational BSI UK notified under the IVDR Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
M EU MDR - Annex II 3b - What documents fall under this requirement? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
L Label Content Requirements under MDR regulation EU Medical Device Regulations 5
M Informational EU – New designated Notified Body under the MDR – TÜV Rheinland LGA Products GmbH Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational US FDA Draft Guidance – Providing Regulatory Submissions for Medical Devices in Electronic Format – Submissions Under Section 745A(b) of the Federal F Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational From RAPS – Novartis Inhaler is First Device to be Certified Under MDR Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
T Trend Reporting under the EU MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 7
M Device CE certified under MDD / MDR > new GTIN? EU Medical Device Regulations 7
M Informational EU – DEKRA Certification GmbH is the third Notified Body designated under the MDR Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Watchcat Four NBs now designated under the MDR - August 2019 EU Medical Device Regulations 7
M Informational Update – MDR and IVDR implementing measures rolling plan – 2 more NBs designated under the new regulations Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Ronen E Interesting Discussion Interesting view of EU Authorised Representative under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 3
V CE Mark under MDD or IVDR - IVD company doing Virtual Manufacturing Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
K Mandatory Documents for EU authorized Representative under MDR CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 8
C What falls under the 'Customer Property' according to ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
S FDA Registration food facility - We operate under CGMP guidelines US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
E How is my medical device sofware classified under MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S Conformity Assessment Route question for Class IIa medical device under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 3
L Clinical Investigations under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 4
F Class I Device under MDD, reclassified to Class II under MDR Other Medical Device Related Standards 5
A Timeline for harmonised standards to be published under MDR CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
M Informational New Notified Body designated under the MDR – TÜV SÜD Product Service GmbH Zertifizierstellen Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1