In a Print Shop the Products are Special Processes?

Q

QAMTY

Hi guys

I?ve heard that Painting is a special process.
Question: A Print shop business develops special processes?
The jobs done normally are the next:

To create manuals including, paper and the printing, to create labels on paper, also all kind of advertising on paper (roll and sheets).
offset,screen and digital printing

If the answer is yes, could you explain why?

Please share your experiences

My question came up regarding 7.5.2 Validation process

My best Regards

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Hi guys

To create manuals including, paper and the printing, to create labels on paper, also all kind of advertising on paper (roll and sheets).

My best Regards
No, printing isn't a special process. You aren't "sticking" anything together. You can inspect the print and check density with a densitometer - all printers do that on a print run. In Bindery, you are, so THAT part of a print shop can be considered a special process (but not all print shops do bindery) - my experience? Many years in printing/printing related industries - hot metal through to DTP.

Q

QAMTY

Thanks Andyn

2 points
Point 1
Normally when we do labels, we print on labels, and labels have some glue for the sticking on the paper, then we cut labels and deliver them to cliente.

Is that the sticking process you mean? or when labels are sticked on any surface

Pont 2

In the case that some print shops have Bindery, what part is special process?

Thanks

Thanks Andyn

2 points
Point 1
Normally when we do labels, we print on labels, and labels have some glue for the sticking on the paper, then we cut labels and deliver them to cliente.

Is that the sticking process you mean? or when labels are sticked on any surface

Pont 2

In the case that some print shops have Bindery, what part is special process?

Thanks
Point 1 - are you just printing the labels and the customer sticks them to something? If you only print, you will want to ensure the quality of the labels is good, but the client is doing the application - so not your responsibility.

Point 2 - In a bindery, there's often gluing of a cover onto the inside sheets. The gluing of the cover would be a special process.

Q

QAMTY

Andyn
In point 1, yes we only print, even if my responsibiity ends in the delivery to client
then how can we ensure the product and its final use is ok , if I may have some responsibility in the quality of the glue and the client in the sticking process.
How to define the scope? because it could be to produce the labels ensuring that they are ok (printing and paper) and that?s all, but how to manage the quality of glue or the process of sticking (side of client).

Thanks for your valuable comments

Regards

N

Northwoods

Hoping I understand what you are looking for. I have 35 years in printing & publishing & currently auditing internal Quality Checks (QCs) in each dept of a 40" commercial print shop.

1st validation of customer requirements is matching what the customer wants & what was quoted. Prepress setups customers design/art and file is prepared for customer proof. Either a soft proof (.pdf - not for color), hi-res hard proof which is calibrated to actual color (G7 or SWOP) and a low-res proof (if applicable) constructed which represents final look product. Proof is sent to customer for final approval. What they see is what they get!:yes:

If color is priority, QCs, densities, curves etc are set-up so it is exactly matched in plating and printing (presses) and matches final customer's approved proof.

Once paper/printing is on press-a predetermined amount of pull slips, color oks, rule up sheets, samples are saved at different intervals throughout press run and each bindery process. They are saved for a predetermined time period (job billed/paid) to confirm job met customers expectations in case of any future customer questions or concerns. Samples of paper & labels can also be saved if applicable.

Hope that helps. :2cents:

Pancho

wikineer
Super Moderator
Hi guys

My best Regards
The definition in ISO 9000:2005 ?3.4.1 note 3 might help. A "special process" is "a process where the conformity of the resulting product cannot be readily or economically verified."

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
The definition in ISO 9000:2005 ?3.4.1 note 3 might help. A "special process" is "a process where the conformity of the resulting product cannot be readily or economically verified."
In printing, most processes and activities can be inspected, so it would not apply to those. But, the key is, results must be validated.

N

Northwoods

I agree 100% with Helmut. Every step & machine process is inspected, confirmed, signed off & samples saved. This confirms every step matches customer expectations and satisfaction.

Current print shop their machine are either computerized internally for calibration & validation. If not, there are detail manual maintenance, time, detailed logs. Past problems/issues forces a company to keep detailed reports/info.

If it is a paper issue, then there is a separate process to file claims or machine down time with the paper mill/merchant.

Q

QAMTY

Thanks Northwood
Ok, everything can be inspected before the delivery to client.
printing and paper are ok, but the sticking process?.
How to define the scope of the product, I mean if the sticking process is not inspected internally, how can we ensure if the glue has the right quality?

Thanks for your feedback

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
qualprod Automation in manufacturing - Print Shop ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
qualprod Criteria for print shop - How do you consider the cycle time in a print shop? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 21
Q KPI's (key performance indicators) for a Print shop ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
L Changes to a Tool Drawing/Print in a Tool Shop ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
N Printer Calibration Requirements - Documents and Pictures (Print Shop) Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 11
Q Procedure for New Product Introduction (NPI) - Build to print shop Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 6
L Seeking Print Shop Quality Measures/Survey Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 6
J Gear Surface Finish - Print with the word "calibrated" Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
V Customer Print Specifications on PFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 13
B FAI and ANSI Y14.5 Trailing Zeros and Print Tolerances Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
CycleMike GD&T - Hole pattern - Print (attached) has a single Datum Reference Frame Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
S Yellow print VDA 4 VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 0
Ron Rompen Location of features identified on Print - Feature out of location Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
G ISO 9001 8.4 applied to 7.1.3 - Suppliers of infrastructure requirements - IT and Print solutions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
E Question on GD&T added to print - Positional callout for the small holes Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
P Print Control Box - What does this dimension say? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
E Conflicting dimensions on customer print Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
D Drawing (print) does not specify restrained or free state Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
G Decimal places on Drawing (Print) Callouts Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 7
E Print only has Reference Dimensions Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
S AS9102 - Clarification - PO asking for an Assembly at Rev B (Print at Rev C) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
Q Surface Roughness - Conversion of RS on a Print to RZ General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
P New Yellow Print VDA 6.3 (2016) VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 10
E Position of a milled hex - Print Callout Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
D Multiple Features With Only One Toleranced on the Print Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 12
K Assumed Alignment and Assumed Datum on a Print Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
R How To Calculate & Print CDF and Lower Bound CDF value for some t(time) with Minitab? Using Minitab Software 1
J Deformation specification not defined in print Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
K APQP requirement when a new print or spec is received from a customer - Existing Part APQP and PPAP 3
A Algorithm to Detect flaw and burr on print characters Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
S FMEA's - Severity and Classification of Print Characteristics FMEA and Control Plans 1
V Do I need to add everything on print to control plan? FMEA and Control Plans 1
J Customer Complaint - PPAP - Issues not called out on the print APQP and PPAP 3
6 Print Callout for a Special Thread - 1.173-18 UNS-3A Major Dia. Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
M 4 Datums Referenced in a Print (Drawing) Feature Control Frame Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
J A Euro sign on a print tolerance? Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
T More than One Original Test Report - Original Print General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
T Software that will overlay Old Revision and New Revision Print and Compare Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
R When a Part Print specifies 10 Rmax on a Surface - Rmax Settings & Standards? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
ncwalker Excel Bubble Print Utility - Bubble Prints/Roadmap Prints Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
S Ensuring Print Dimensions are in Control Plans, WI's and Receiving Inspection Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Radius Measurement question - Print that calls out a 5.5-5.7mm Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
P Configuration Management for Build to Print Company AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
J Print (Drawing) Bubble Techniques Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 45
H Example of Contract Review for Print Industry wanted Contract Review Process 4
Jim Wynne An Oldie but Goodie - A Print Block from 1937 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
J Perpendicularity-Axis and Plane - Perpendicularity call-out on the print Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
J Perpendicularity Callout on a Print - GD&T Question Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
E Definition WDA and WRP on a Boeing print - What are these acronyms? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 2
M Metric Call Out on a print (from Japan) - 40mm +.002/+.015 Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 8