In a software development company: Is every bug reported by the customer a complaint?

Hi all,
So glad I found this forum!
We are a software development firm and we deliver support on all our apps.
We have a complete department dealing with bugs, most of them reported by the customers.
Should we consider all bugs as complaints or are they non-conformities?
In what case should a bug be considered a complaint?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Using the definition of Software Bug: "A software bug is an error, flaw, failure or fault in a computer program or system that causes it to produce an incorrect or unexpected result, or to behave in unintended ways", they are nonconformities. I would think that if a customer reports a bug to your company it would also be considered a Customer Complaint.

qualprod

Trusted Information Resource
We are a software development firm and we deliver support on all our apps.
We have a complete department dealing with bugs, most of them reported by the customers.
Should we consider all bugs as complaints or are they non-conformities?
In what case should a bug be considered a complaint?
In my point of View, no.

Because into an ISO system, a complaint needs a special treatment, could you imagine to treat hundreds of complaints?
IMO , all this kind of feedbacks of customers normally are considered in contracts, e.g.meetings, every week, to evaluate progress of projects, feedback of project, into it , bugs could be considered.

A complaint, I think ,it could be a project delayed, excessive bugs reported, slow treatment to bugs, etc.
Complaints regarding to what is out of the contract or agreements is expected.

Hope this helps

A bug could also be reproducible under certain conditions only which makes almost imposible to consider all cases. However, in big companies, QA team is also big so they have all the support they need to run several tests before launching an app for an important company or organization. Having said this, I agree with @qualprod

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Not sure how you can avoid acknowledging that customer feedback of bugs is a complaint.

A "bug" (per Marc's definition above) is an error, flaw, failure or fault.
A complaint is "a statement that a situation is unsatisfactory or unacceptable " (Google defs)

If it was acceptable, they wouldn't have called.
If it was right, it wouldn't be a bug.
A bug report is a statement that an unsatisfactory flaw exists in your product. Right in the 10 ring for "complaint".
The only exception I can think of is if the customer is happy with bugs, and is just letting you know that they are extra pleased to have them.

Don't try to call it something else...work on how you handle them instead...

Peter Fraser

It depends on the customer's expectations. No software is bug free, and sensible customers will recognise that, and in fact they may be part of the testing and commissioning process, which actually expects them to find bugs. In some cases bugs can be (treated as) opportunities for improvement. A flaw might be that the software does not deal with a situation that the customer didn't specify as a requirement, so they would be hard-pushed to complain (unless they were relying on you as experts (and perhaps mind-readers)).

Ninja

Looking for Reality
A flaw might be that the software does not deal with a situation that the customer didn't specify as a requirement, so they would be hard-pushed to complain (unless they were relying on you as experts (and perhaps mind-readers)).
A good point, though I would still be compelled to call it a complaint...I may handle that complaint simply by noting that it has no factual or mutually agreed basis...but that doesn't stop it from being a complaint IMO.

Sometimes I wonder if folks try so hard to avoid using the word "complaint" due to a false preconception that the complaint handling process must be huge and onerous. In fact many complaints can be handled by documenting "we choose to do nothing about this".

A customer complaining that we only shipped one day early instead of three days early...is still a complaint, but gets "we were early, not late, case closed" and filed.

The reason I asked is that we are going for ISO9001 certification, but apart from that it is an interesting question i think.
Bugs ore more ore less accepted in the business therefore I think not every bug should be treated like a complaint.

The way i feel it is that complaints are about expectations not being met and it is all about communication.
If we treat all bugs as complaints we have lots of complaints which are now handled just fine within our operation processes

Perhaps it would be a good idea if you can 'promote' certain bugs to complaints so they are treated as such
Maybe when bugs are very serious and/or the customer feels expectations are not met at all

Sometimes I wonder if folks try so hard to avoid using the word "complaint" due to a false preconception that the complaint handling process must be huge and onerous. In fact many complaints can be handled by documenting "we choose to do nothing about this".
but you could also use the complaint 'label' for identifying and fixing more serious issues, using a special process, perhaps involving account managent etc. In that case maybe calling everything a complaint is not the best option?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Software Development Company - Who would own the whole process and the certification afterwards? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 1
A Design Review OR Design Change - Software development company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
G MRM (Management Review) Inputs Sheet Format for a Software Development Company Management Review Meetings and related Processes 1
W Software development company for Medical Device Diagnostic Equipment ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M Please suggest Registrar in Emeryville, CA - Software development company Registrars and Notified Bodies 5
G Software Development Plan - Startup Software Development Company - 13485:2003 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
G Strategy for IEC62304 implementation half way into the software development process IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 9
F Software development plan for SW update IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
O Software development plan : development methods IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
K Templates for software development quality audit Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
S Do we need to validate Software used in Drug discovery and development process? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
I QMS documents required at each stage of Software development IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
S Internal Audit Checklist for Application/Software development IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 1
M 8.3.2.3 Development of products with embedded software - request for clarification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
JoshuaFroud Design and Development of Software under 13485:2016 or 62304? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
L Software Medical Device - 7.3.8 - Design and Development Transfer ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
Y Application of IEC/EN 62304 at an advanced stage of software development IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 4
A Quality system vs SDLC (Software Development Life Cycle) (or ALM)? Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
Z Agile Software Development and 510(k) Submission 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
I ISO 9001:2008 for Software Development ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
M Design and Development Outputs for Software Development (7.3.3) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
M Reusing existing RUO Software for IVD Development 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
L AAMI TIR(SW1)/Agile Practices in the Development of Medical Device Software IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 8
C Software Program Development GAMP Requirements Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
P How to measure Software Development Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 16
H Standards Evolution regarding the Development, Supply, and Maintenance of Software ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
P Environmental Aspects and Impacts while doing Software Development ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 6
M Using a Kanban Lifecycle for the Software Development IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 8
J Software Development Process - How ISO9001 relates to Software Development ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Q ISO 62304 (Medical Device Software Development) Verification Requirements IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
M Development of Medical Software for 510(k) - Where to start IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 10
michellemmm Software Product Development Quality Assurance (PDQA) Audit Checklists Software Quality Assurance 12
T Electronic Records and Software Development ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
T IEC 62304 & FDA: Software Development Methodologies for Class II- DICOM device IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 8
D Info for Health and Safety in Software Development companies Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 6
L IT - Software Development SOPs (Standard Operating Procedures) Software Quality Assurance 3
M Software Development Certification - Development and Analysis Tools Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
K Medical Device Software Development Procedure IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 20
L Software Development and Validation SOPs Software Quality Assurance 14
C Control of the Development and Test Environment - Software for Medical Devices IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
U Recognised Methodology for Monitoring Software Development Performance Software Quality Assurance 1
J How to address Clause 7.6 for a software development organization? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
P Software to help meet ISO & AS9100 Design & Development Rqmts Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
K Off-the-shelf Software Environment for Software development Software Quality Assurance 6
Q Software/Tools to Manage ISO 12207 Audit of Software Development Process Software Quality Assurance 4
A IEC 62304 Software Development Plan IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 28
T Internal audit checklists related to the software development process Internal Auditing 3
L Software and Web Site Development - Need help with interpreting 7.5.2 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
H IT Software Life Cycle Development - How do 7.3.2 to 7.3.4 apply? Software Quality Assurance 4
P How Backward Traceability is maintained in Software Development? Software Quality Assurance 1