SBS - The best value in QMS software

In cases where users of an electronic system change their names

chq

Registered
In cases where users of a system change their names, is it acceptable to have the new name listed for all entries in the Audit Trail display, even though some were performed prior to the name change?
What about electronic signatures? Here it seems especially odd that a signature component required by Part 11 (full name) changes over time.
What is your opinion on this?

Thanks so much for your help!

Kind regards, Chris

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

v9991

Trusted Information Resource
In cases where users of a system change their names, is it acceptable to have the new name listed for all entries in the Audit Trail display, even though some were performed prior to the name change?
NO. Audit trail cannot be altered for completed records; remember the associated rule, that the signature+record binding along with the associated data ;
https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/CFRSearch.cfm?CFRPart=11&showFR=1

What about electronic signatures? Here it seems especially odd that a signature component required by Part 11 (full name) changes over time.
This is an rare if not uncommon situation;!
I assume and consider that you are treating "user id + password " combination to represent the person, two ways of implementing the changes,
1) update the user name for given user-id while ensuring that the changes are effective for future records;
2) more of administrative task that user id is retired; and assign
option 1 is recommended; the 2nd option only leads to more controls-data-review, ie., ensuring the tracking of personnel with multiple ids. etc., ( ensuring only one id is effective, errors/mistakes done on multiple ids etc)

chq

Registered
To be more clear: On a technical level the system in question tracks the unique User ID (which cannot be changed), and for display it uses the currently stored full name for this ID.

v9991

To be more clear: On a technical level the system in question tracks the unique User ID (which cannot be changed), and for display it uses the currently stored full name for this ID.
so the question is,
does the record+signature linking include 'name' along with the user-id.
ie., its possible to have one id with two names; or the change management of electronic signature.!

( considering that the name change is not error /typo ; and its been done legally)
technically, it might be still unique and traceable; considering that the audit trail of user-ids is maintained.

but functionally, I would argue that it is objectionable; as the changes are not always represented in audit trail for the specific record.i.e.,
  • an record which was earlier represented with a given "name-1" , after the update, will now be represented with different name. ( although, on the computer system, it is bound to be unique user-id but the printout will be reflected as different)
    viz., in a given scenario, a record issued earlier with a name shall start reflecting with different one, which is difficult to always represent.
or otherwise, change management of electronic signature to be formally defined and validated for various scenario.

Jean_B

This is an rare if not uncommon situation;!
I would not say this is rare. Perhaps uncommon, but it is an entirely foreseeable usecase:
  • women after divorce often revert back to their maiden name.
    • Remarrying changes it again. And can then go back to divorce.
  • widows can also keep their prior name, but might revert back to their maiden name.
  • legal name changes are of varying difficulty depending on regional laws/regulations. A colleague of mine states that in Brazil this isn't even that much of a hassel, and first and last names can be amended relatively easily.
This is especially valid as part 11 does not require the use of the full legal identity, merely the verification of the identity. This verification to a person may result in a name being used that is different from the official legal identity.

v9991

I would not say this is rare. Perhaps uncommon, but it is an entirely foreseeable usecase:
  • women after divorce often revert back to their maiden name.
    • Remarrying changes it again. And can then go back to divorce.
  • widows can also keep their prior name, but might revert back to their maiden name.
  • legal name changes are of varying difficulty depending on regional laws/regulations. A colleague of mine states that in Brazil this isn't even that much of a hassel, and first and last names can be amended relatively easily.
This is especially valid as part 11 does not require the use of the full legal identity, merely the verification of the identity. This verification to a person may result in a name being used that is different from the official legal identity.
acknowledge the point; i did alude to that aspect, where i meant it as an error vs legal requirement. ( an user requirement)

now considering that as an use-scenario, which the system has to address.,
its much appropriate to have systems-approach of addressing same; which is tying the name along with id relevant for respective record.(as pertinent at the time of sign)

Last edited:

rogerpenna

Involved In Discussions
A colleague of mine states that in Brazil this isn't even that much of a hassel, and first and last names can be amended relatively easily.
it's actually very difficult and regulated. You must go to a Public Notary. There are specific situations where a notary can change your name and HOW and WHAT parts he can change.

Name changes cause all sorts of bureaucratic hassle. My mother divorced and returned to her maiden name. But her married name remains in the ID of all children. (IDs here have name of father and mother). And you can´t change your ID's mother name without changing the records of the Birth Certificate.

It's even all more complicated than that.

Suffice to say, I told my wife it would be better if he did not change her name. I am quite mysoginystic in some situations, but I think it's ridiculous for a women to acquire her husband's name. So in that I am a feminist I guess.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M XR use cases Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 0
S Re-validation NCR - In which cases re-validation of processes is required Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 6
Q Are Sealed Bags and Carrying Cases Medical Devices? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
M Can PC Plastic Material be used in Medical Device Cases? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 16
B Using Minitab for Chi Square using Weighted Cases Using Minitab Software 2
I Machine Capability Analysis in Multi-Dimensional Cases Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
D Short Quality Cases for my Quality Workshop so I can make a Case Study Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 10
Marc American swine flu cases climb to 40 - 27 April 2009 World News 22
J Are the PPAP samples free? In some cases? APQP and PPAP 9
W Where does a coatings and paint company fall in IATF? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
B When Travel is allowed - Where are you going? Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 12
G Where to buy Template / sample SCSMS Manual, checklist Supply Chain Security Management Systems 1
S Where do l get calibration standards to run a calibration lab? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
M Quality Manual - Where does Revision History Section go? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
C Where to draw the line for "sufficient evidence" to verify safety/performance of a device? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
L Where to place the what/when/how/who/where procedures in a multi-regulation AS9110C organisation AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
B Where to acquire EN 868-5 required dye (Amaranth red)? Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
N Where to find Regulations for Reprocessing and Reuse of Single-Use Devices Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
H Where to get EK MED 1927/16 Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
D Where to find Guidance Class II Amendment Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
O EN 301 489-1 and EN 301 489-17 - Where do we get the information of the Published versions? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
A AS9100 Training - Where do I start? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
qualprod Records where apply and stop recording everything? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
G Gage R&R - Where am I going wrong? Part of a FAIR submission (Aerospace) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
R Where does IATF 16949 address Process mapping? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
C Where to place CE/label in Sterile IVD EU Medical Device Regulations 1
G New to ISO 9001 - Where to begin? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
BeaBea Interesting Discussion Where Does Marketing/ Advertisement of Products fit in to ISO 9001? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 39
K No IFU, where the requirements would go? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
T Assessing Hazard-Related Use Scenarios where control measures exist through standards IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 32
J Where to Place Process Maps in our Documentation? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
GreatNate Where to get a KPI dashboard for QMS processes Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
I Where can I beg, steal (just kidding of course) or borrow good training material on the ISO 9001:2015 standard? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
A Implementing ISO 20000-1 - Where to start Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
D Where does "as far as possible" stop? FMEA - EN 14971 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 29
qualprod Statistics - Where to start in ISO 9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
H Calibration of InfraRan Vapor Analyzer - where to get calibration for SF6 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
L Clause 0.4 of ISO 9001 and EHS - Where should I stop the inclusion of EHS in my QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
M Where can I find examples of PPAP? APQP and PPAP 6
A What if Contract Manufacturers does not have an ISO 13485 certificate? Where will the NB audit take place, at legal mfg. site or contract mfg. site? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
J Where can I find the latest update to Reach and ROHS? REACH and RoHS Conversations 9
D Where (in US) can I get the VDA Auditor Edition book? VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 3
S Where to get online AS standard audit certification classes? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
J Where I can get a copy of either the 3rd or 4th edition of UL544? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 7
G Where to find Proficiency Test provider for photometrics (spectral %R, %T, photo density) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
Marc Quiz - Where did the idea of an assembly line come from? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
F Quality Objectives - Where in the QMS Quality Objectives should be located ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
M Where to obtain a calibrated DICOM image? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
R Where to get information - M6 per WA900 Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
S Where did FDA 510(K) form 3654 go? Other US Medical Device Regulations 3