In-house Calibration and still maintain my "we do not have a lab" status?

R

rangotango

Can I use my already calibrated in house measurung equipment to "calibrate" e.g.gauges and still maintain my "we do not have a lab" status?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
R

ralphsulser

Look at the TS definitions page...Dimensional Lab

We had to develop a dimensional lab scope and add it to our test lab scope.
Not a big deal, and doesn't take long either.

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Trusted Information Resource
The dilema you run into is traceability. If your external calibration provider is UKAS accredited then the internal cal may be OK.....if you are using a non-accredited lab then you need to evaluate them.....

As for your lab specifically, it is good for you to seek accreditation to ISO/IEC 17025 through UKAS.

Hope this helps.

Hershal

R

Rob Nix

I'm in agreement with Ralph and Icy; I looked at it as just so much unnecessary nonsense too, but in the end created some quick and easy window dressing to satisfy the standard/auditor. There aren't that many of those silly requirements left, but where they are, just slap a (non-time consuming) patch over it and be done with it. :agree1:

Caster

An Early Cover
Even crazier than that

Rob Nix said:
I'm in agreement with Ralph and Icy; I looked at it as just so much unnecessary nonsense too, but in the end created some quick and easy window dressing to satisfy the standard/auditor. There aren't that many of those silly requirements left, but where they are, just slap a (non-time consuming) patch over it and be done with it. :agree1:
It's even worse than having to write up some window dressing procedures. It's a total mockery of calibration systems.

I can go ahead and calibrate anything we have in my in house lab, as long as the TS auditor gives me a TS certificate (which includes my "cal lab".

If I send the device outside I have to send it to a 17025 qualified lab.

The TS audits are typically pretty light weight when it comes to calibration, uncertainty, traceability, etc.

Also the TS audit cycle looks at calibration very infrequently, maybe as little as once per 3 year cycle.

So it's in my "interest" to have an internal TS cal lab with light weight procedures. Lots of money and effort saved until (if) I get caught. How long could I get away with it? 4.5 years so far!

IMHO calibration should be dropped from ISO as it moves towards a business system and away from QC. Doc control as well. They just don't even show up as costs when compared to contract review, management, and design....we're working the wrong end of the Pareto!

Are you actually calibrating.....

or simply verifying the gauges? If you're calibrating, in other words using the whole calibration chain of traceability and so forth, then my belief is you have a lab (controlled access, environmental controls etc. etc.) and ISO 17025 would be good to use as some guidance (if not to necessarily go the whole hog and become accredited).:yes:

But, as may be the case, your folks are simply using these calibrated 'standards' to verify the other equipment, then I'm not sure you need to do the 'lab. thing'.:mg: :nope:

So, any more info. on what your people are doing?

Andy

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Caster said:

It's even worse than having to write up some window dressing procedures. It's a total mockery of calibration systems.

I can go ahead and calibrate anything we have in my in house lab, as long as the TS auditor gives me a TS certificate (which includes my "cal lab".

If I send the device outside I have to send it to a 17025 qualified lab.

The TS audits are typically pretty light weight when it comes to calibration, uncertainty, traceability, etc.

Also the TS audit cycle looks at calibration very infrequently, maybe as little as once per 3 year cycle.

So it's in my "interest" to have an internal TS cal lab with light weight procedures. Lots of money and effort saved until (if) I get caught. How long could I get away with it? 4.5 years so far!

IMHO calibration should be dropped from ISO as it moves towards a business system and away from QC. Doc control as well. They just don't even show up as costs when compared to contract review, management, and design....we're working the wrong end of the Pareto!
Actually, even though I know I will hear long and loud.....

Calibration is best left to Metrology professionals in (hopefully) accredited labs.

The concept is no different than having a Quality professional running the QA group or having a machinist running the CNC.

Hershal

R

Rob Nix

Actually, I agree with you Hershal. If it's not our core business, leave it to those whose it is. The only things we "calibrate" in house are hand devices (mics, calipers, bore gages, etc.). Everything else goes to an accredited lab.

And Caster, I'm not saying we should not have calibration controls at all; just not the whole "scope" business. It sounds rather grandiose to call 30 hand devices in a die shop an "internal laboratory facility". But a company does need to control its measurement equipment. Just as it does need Document Control. Failures in both of those areas can be extremely expensive; on a par with design controls and contract review.

The point is, let the elaborateness of a system fit the depth of its content.

Required Document

ISO/TS 16949:2002 Section 3.1.4 Laboratory said:
Facility for inspection, test, or calibration that may include, but is not limited to chemical, metallurgical, dimensional physical, electric or reliability testing.
ISO/TS 16949:2002 Section 3.1.5 Laboratory scope said:
Controlled document containing
 Specific tests, evaluations and calibrations that a laboratory is qualified to perform
 List of the equipment which it uses to perform the above, and
 List of methods and standards to which it performs the above.
ISO/TS 16949:2002 Section 7.6.3.1 Internal laboratory said:
An organization’s internal laboratory shall have a defined scope that includes its capability to perform the required inspection, test or calibration services. This laboratory scope shall be included in the quality management system documentation. The laboratory shall specify and implement, as a minimum, technical requirements for
 Adequacy of the laboratory procedures,
 Competency of the laboratory personnel,
 Testing of the product,
 Capability to perform these services correctly, traceable to the relevant process standards (such as ASTM, EN, etc.) and
 Review of the related records.
I don't think we need to debate whether you are calibrating, validating or otherwise checking an instrument. The TS definitions for Laboratory and Laboratory Scope cover any measurement you might care to make for any reason in your product realization process. You don't need A2LA certification to 17025 to establish traceability for your standards and document your "scope" even if you are just using a certified block to "verify" a dial caliper. If you test, inpsect, evaluate or calibrate, you must document your Internal Laboratory. Full stop.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A AS9100 - 7.1.5.2 In-House Calibration AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 25
dhuot1990 In-House Calibration Program - Biotech Industry General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
T Temperature Requirements For In House Calibration - AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 16
L In house calibration - Our CMM's are outside certified can I use them to certify our standards General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
Ed Panek ISOTECH TTI-10 found out of calibration - Calibration house was wrong? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
H In-house device calibration record - Actual values obtained required? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
T In house Calibration? Measurement equipment traceability requirements - ISO9001 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
G In-House Calibration of Gas Flow Meters General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
4 In-House Thread Wire Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
C ISO17025 for In-House Calibration Labs: Is it required? ISO 17025 related Discussions 32
A Is NIST traceability required if a Refractometer calibration is done in-house? Calibration Frequency (Interval) 6
D Measurable objectives for our in-house calibration department General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
M In house Volt Meter Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
N ISO 17025 Requirements for Environmental Conditions for In-House Calibration ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
W Force Calibration - In-House Load Cell Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
M Looking for a copy or template of a In House Calibration Report for a Dial Indicator General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
C Flow Meter Calibration - Outside Calibration Service vs. In-House Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
S Using Prepared In-House Reference Materials (RM) for Equipment Calibration & Verifica General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
S In-House Equipment Calibration Report Format & Template Example Needed Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
1 Pharma Industry stance on ISO 17025 Accreditation - In-House Calibration Laboratories ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
T Reference Spectrum Generator for In-House Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
G OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) Calibration of In-House Measurement Equipment General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 19
F Temperature Requirements for an In-House Calibration Laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
T In-House Calibration of Thread Plugs/Rings to achieve a 4:1 Ratio Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 4
R In-House Calibration Facility Requirements - Setting up a new in-house laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
B In-House pH Meter Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13
B Developing In-House Calibration Capacities General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
E Gauge Block Grade recommended use for in house calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
C Setting up Pressure Calibration In-House Lab General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
J In-House Calibration Requirements - Use of Grade 2 set of gage blocks General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
D TS 16949 In-House Calibration Requirements - Certification Required? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 26
T In-House Calibration - Digital Micrometer found Out of Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
R Self (In-House) Calibration of Measuring Tools (vernier, micrometers etc.) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 17
D Calibration vs. Verification - Can we calibrate dial indicators in-house? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
ScottK Soliciting recommendations for a fast turnaround calibration house - Mass Flow Meter Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
M Gage Block In-House Calibration - Blocks lost and users keep exchanging blocks General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
V Is permission from Registrar needed for deciding on in-house calibration? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
H In-house Calibration - Verniers using gauge blocks General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
J Thread Gage Calibration: In-House or Outsourced? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
E Can anyone recommend a good/inexpensive calibration house? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
S Calibration System was In-House now Outside (External Service Provider) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 14
U Calibration House - Where I can get a PG 13.5 Gut thread ring gage calibrated? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
T In-house Calibration Procedures in our FAA Approved Repair Station Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 11
BradM Certificate for In-House Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 25
K What is the difference between in house calibration and verification? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 21
A Auditor has rejected our in-house gage verification - Calibration in 17025:2005 ISO 17025 related Discussions 21
J In-House Calibration Certificate wording - Confidence Level or Level of Confidence? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
B In-House Calibration form needed Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
J Using Outside Accredited Calibration Laboratories vs. In-house Calibrations General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
C In-House Particle Counter Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12