In house Calibration? Measurement equipment traceability requirements - ISO9001

[FONT=&quot]For measurement traceability the ISO9001 states "calibrated or verified at specific intervals to international or national measurement standard." Can a common sense approach using verified standards be used to verify tape measures, scales, calipers etc. Paying an out side firm $30 to have a 12 dollar tape measure is not cost effective. Can someone with a long history working in Quality using a well written procedure stating method, frequency and maintaining in-house verification records satisfy section 7.1.5.2? I have an external auditor telling me all equipment must be calibrated to NIST at an accredited lab... Our fabrication shop tolerances are +/- 1/16 inch, Thoughts?

Tab[/FONT]

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Randy

Super Moderator
Auditor is full of krap, the requirement is...
a) calibrated or verified, or both, at specified intervals, or prior to use, against measurement standards traceable to international or national measurement standards; when no such standards exist, the basis used for calibration or verification shall be retained as documented information;

I don't see anything about a lab. Additionally tape measures, rulers and things like that can be verified against a "standard" like a calibrated calibration block, plate, and so on.

How do I know? In the last 4 weeks I've done 5 certification/transition audits and 3 of them had tape measures/steel rulers. The place I finished today measures to the mm with steel rules and they are right on (we verified the verification)

This is one of those older than dirt subjects

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
Randy is spot-on. Lab accreditation is for facilities that do calibration for hire. Even that is not a specific requirement for many, but a criteria in the purchasing process similar ti ISO 9001 certification for raw goods producers.

Auditors are inclined to vary in our understanding of requirements. The subject auditor has a serious misunderstanding of the requirement.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
Speaking of older than dirt...
Here's an old post of mine showing how I handled metal rulers...never had an issue with ISO, QS or TS16949...

Simple, clean, easy...and most importantly...no cost (except for labor time on the phone...)

I would NOT use this method for tape measures with end hooks.

HTH

Thanks all of you for your posts! I have been in Quality for many years but this one always seems to be an issue! I really appreciate your insight!

Tab

Randy is spot-on. Lab accreditation is for facilities that do calibration for hire.
I'm not sure I'd make such a bold assertion. There are industries which need to perform round robin testing/calibrations because there are no (inter)nationally-agreed standards. In that case, to gain confidence in the various labs in the inter-lab comparisons, accreditation is a valuable step.

[FONT=&quot]For measurement traceability the ISO9001 states "calibrated or verified at specific intervals to international or national measurement standard." Can a common sense approach using verified standards be used to verify tape measures, scales, calipers etc. Paying an out side firm $30 to have a 12 dollar tape measure is not cost effective. Can someone with a long history working in Quality using a well written procedure stating method, frequency and maintaining in-house verification records satisfy section 7.1.5.2? I have an external auditor telling me all equipment must be calibrated to NIST at an accredited lab... Our fabrication shop tolerances are +/- 1/16 inch, Thoughts?

Tab[/FONT]
I "think" part of the issue that people use the terms calibration and verification as interchangeable and they aren't. Calibration - when done correctly - involves a number of techniques which aren't usually implemented. Verification is more common, but frequently and inaccurately referred to as calibration...

Once again all, thanks for the input on this matter, I am proceeding with my own documented verification procedure and methods. I recently began consulting for a company where the external auditor has several years of this requirement and they have complied, I expect and look forward to a short battle with my auditor but as always it is up to him to prove us wrong....

dwperron

Trusted Information Resource
Now for the contrary view.

ISO 9001 covers this under the subject "Measurement Traceability", stating:

"7.1.5.2 Measurement traceability

When measurement traceability is a requirement, or is considered by the organization to be an essential part of providing confidence in the validity of measurement results, measuring equipment shall be:
a) calibrated or verified, or both, at specified intervals, or prior to use, against measurement standards traceable to international or national measurement standards..."

So the auditor can look at your calibration documents and ask you to show traceability to NIST or a national standard.

The official VIM definition for traceability is:

"2.41 (6.10)
metrological traceability
property of a measurement result whereby the result can be related to a reference through a documented unbroken chain of calibrations, each contributing to the measurement uncertainty.
"

Further, in Note 7 of this paragraph, it states:
"the elements for confirming metrological traceability to be an unbroken metrological traceability chain to an international measurement standard or a national measurement standard, a documented measurement uncertainty, a documented measurement procedure, accredited technical competence, metrological traceability to the SI, and calibration intervals"

So when an auditor requests to see your unbroken metrological traceability chain including measurement uncertainties can you provide this? If you can (and you can, it just takes a lot of work) then you are all set.

The auditor's suggestion to get accredited calibrations makes this much easier because an accredited lab has to prove their traceability, so the customer (and auditor) can assume measurement traceability.

As an example, UL requires that their endorsers prove measurement traceability, either by use of accredited labs or by documenting their measurement traceability.

Unfortunately, there are far too many calibration labs where "Traceable to NIST" is nothing more than boilerplate on their certificates.

Now for the contrary view.

ISO 9001 covers this under the subject "Measurement Traceability", stating:

"7.1.5.2 Measurement traceability

When measurement traceability is a requirement, or is considered by the organization to be an essential part of providing confidence in the validity of measurement results, measuring equipment shall be:
a) calibrated or verified, or both, at specified intervals, or prior to use, against measurement standards traceable to international or national measurement standards..."

So the auditor can look at your calibration documents and ask you to show traceability to NIST or a national standard.

The official VIM definition for traceability is:

"2.41 (6.10)
metrological traceability
property of a measurement result whereby the result can be related to a reference through a documented unbroken chain of calibrations, each contributing to the measurement uncertainty.
"

Further, in Note 7 of this paragraph, it states:
"the elements for confirming metrological traceability to be an unbroken metrological traceability chain to an international measurement standard or a national measurement standard, a documented measurement uncertainty, a documented measurement procedure, accredited technical competence, metrological traceability to the SI, and calibration intervals"

So when an auditor requests to see your unbroken metrological traceability chain including measurement uncertainties can you provide this? If you can (and you can, it just takes a lot of work) then you are all set.

The auditor's suggestion to get accredited calibrations makes this much easier because an accredited lab has to prove their traceability, so the customer (and auditor) can assume measurement traceability.

As an example, UL requires that their endorsers prove measurement traceability, either by use of accredited labs or by documenting their measurement traceability.

Unfortunately, there are far too many calibration labs where "Traceable to NIST" is nothing more than boilerplate on their certificates.
It's NOT just about traceability, though. To be able to use an item of measuring equipment which is "suitable" you need to know the measurement uncertainty, some of which comes FROM the calibration. To dismiss this whole topic as being about traceability is to miss the ACTUAL reason for the calibration, in the first place.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) Calibration of In-House Measurement Equipment General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 18
T Temperature Requirements For In House Calibration - AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
L In house calibration - Our CMM's are outside certified can I use them to certify our standards General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
Ed Panek ISOTECH TTI-10 found out of calibration - Calibration house was wrong? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
H In-house device calibration record - Actual values obtained required? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
G In-House Calibration of Gas Flow Meters General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
4 In-House Thread Wire Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
C ISO17025 for In-House Calibration Labs: Is it required? ISO 17025 related Discussions 30
A Is NIST traceability required if a Refractometer calibration is done in-house? Calibration Frequency (Interval) 6
D Measurable objectives for our in-house calibration department General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
M In house Volt Meter Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
N ISO 17025 Requirements for Environmental Conditions for In-House Calibration ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
W Force Calibration - In-House Load Cell Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
M Looking for a copy or template of a In House Calibration Report for a Dial Indicator General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
C Flow Meter Calibration - Outside Calibration Service vs. In-House Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
S Using Prepared In-House Reference Materials (RM) for Equipment Calibration & Verifica General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
S In-House Equipment Calibration Report Format & Template Example Needed Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
1 Pharma Industry stance on ISO 17025 Accreditation - In-House Calibration Laboratories ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
T Reference Spectrum Generator for In-House Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
F Temperature Requirements for an In-House Calibration Laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
T In-House Calibration of Thread Plugs/Rings to achieve a 4:1 Ratio Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 4
R In-House Calibration Facility Requirements - Setting up a new in-house laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
B In-House pH Meter Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13
B Developing In-House Calibration Capacities General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
E Gauge Block Grade recommended use for in house calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
C Setting up Pressure Calibration In-House Lab General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
J In-House Calibration Requirements - Use of Grade 2 set of gage blocks General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
D TS 16949 In-House Calibration Requirements - Certification Required? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 26
T In-House Calibration - Digital Micrometer found Out of Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
R Self (In-House) Calibration of Measuring Tools (vernier, micrometers etc.) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 17
D Calibration vs. Verification - Can we calibrate dial indicators in-house? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
ScottK Soliciting recommendations for a fast turnaround calibration house - Mass Flow Meter Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
M Gage Block In-House Calibration - Blocks lost and users keep exchanging blocks General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
V Is permission from Registrar needed for deciding on in-house calibration? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
H In-house Calibration - Verniers using gauge blocks General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
J Thread Gage Calibration: In-House or Outsourced? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
E Can anyone recommend a good/inexpensive calibration house? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
S Calibration System was In-House now Outside (External Service Provider) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 14
U Calibration House - Where I can get a PG 13.5 Gut thread ring gage calibrated? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
T In-house Calibration Procedures in our FAA Approved Repair Station Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 11
BradM Certificate for In-House Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 25
K What is the difference between in house calibration and verification? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
A Auditor has rejected our in-house gage verification - Calibration in 17025:2005 ISO 17025 related Discussions 21
J In-House Calibration Certificate wording - Confidence Level or Level of Confidence? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
B In-House Calibration form needed Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
J Using Outside Accredited Calibration Laboratories vs. In-house Calibrations General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
C In-House Particle Counter Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
C Calibration Outsourcing vs. In House Calibration - Outrageous Costs of Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 28
R In-house Calibration and still maintain my "we do not have a lab" status? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
J In-house calibration - Resource for calibration, adjustment of calipers, indicators General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2