In house calibration - Our CMM's are outside certified can I use them to certify our standards

Greetings,
I have been hired by a manufacturing company to assist in their path to AS9100 certification. One of the hats I have been asked to wear is in house calibration. Most of our inspection is done with outside certified CMM's, my question is since our CMM's are outside certified can I use them to certify our standards then use those standards to calibrate our micrometer's and calipers? Thank you in advance for the assistance

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
I am going to throw in a curve ball based on the knowledge I have.

The CMM we own is only accurate to about .0003". We calibrate our micrometers to ±2 readings and we have some Mitutoyo micrometers that can read to ±.00005" so we would calibrate these to ±.0001. For about 90% of our calibrations, we use precision gage blocks that are only used for calibration and get sent out to a calibration house once a year. The tolerances on the gage blocks are +.000008/-.000004.

I guess it really depends on how accurate you need your micrometers to read.

I am going to throw in a curve ball based on the knowledge I have.

The CMM we own is only accurate to about .0003". We calibrate our micrometers to ±2 readings and we have some Mitutoyo micrometers that can read to ±.00005" so we would calibrate these to ±.0001. For about 90% of our calibrations, we use precision gage blocks that are only used for calibration and get sent out to a calibration house once a year. The tolerances on the gage blocks are +.000008/-.000004.

I guess it really depends on how accurate you need your micrometers to read.
I love curve balls lol. I appreciate your take and will proceed with this in mind as well. Thank you!!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Gage Calibration - Using a CMM and Gage Blocks for In-House Calibration ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
Ed Panek ISOTECH TTI-10 found out of calibration - Calibration house was wrong? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
H In-house device calibration record - Actual values obtained required? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
T In house Calibration? Measurement equipment traceability requirements - ISO9001 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
G In-House Calibration of Gas Flow Meters General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
4 In-House Thread Wire Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
C ISO17025 for In-House Calibration Labs: Is it required? ISO 17025 related Discussions 30
A Is NIST traceability required if a Refractometer calibration is done in-house? Calibration Frequency (Interval) 6
D Measurable objectives for our in-house calibration department General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
M In house Volt Meter Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
N ISO 17025 Requirements for Environmental Conditions for In-House Calibration ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
W Force Calibration - In-House Load Cell Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
M Looking for a copy or template of a In House Calibration Report for a Dial Indicator General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
C Flow Meter Calibration - Outside Calibration Service vs. In-House Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
S Using Prepared In-House Reference Materials (RM) for Equipment Calibration & Verifica General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
S In-House Equipment Calibration Report Format & Template Example Needed Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
1 Pharma Industry stance on ISO 17025 Accreditation - In-House Calibration Laboratories ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
T Reference Spectrum Generator for In-House Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
G OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) Calibration of In-House Measurement Equipment General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 18
F Temperature Requirements for an In-House Calibration Laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
T In-House Calibration of Thread Plugs/Rings to achieve a 4:1 Ratio Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 4
R In-House Calibration Facility Requirements - Setting up a new in-house laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
B In-House pH Meter Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13
B Developing In-House Calibration Capacities General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
E Gauge Block Grade recommended use for in house calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
C Setting up Pressure Calibration In-House Lab General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
J In-House Calibration Requirements - Use of Grade 2 set of gage blocks General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
D TS 16949 In-House Calibration Requirements - Certification Required? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 26
T In-House Calibration - Digital Micrometer found Out of Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
R Self (In-House) Calibration of Measuring Tools (vernier, micrometers etc.) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 17
D Calibration vs. Verification - Can we calibrate dial indicators in-house? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
ScottK Soliciting recommendations for a fast turnaround calibration house - Mass Flow Meter Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
M Gage Block In-House Calibration - Blocks lost and users keep exchanging blocks General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
V Is permission from Registrar needed for deciding on in-house calibration? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
H In-house Calibration - Verniers using gauge blocks General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
J Thread Gage Calibration: In-House or Outsourced? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
E Can anyone recommend a good/inexpensive calibration house? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
S Calibration System was In-House now Outside (External Service Provider) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 14
U Calibration House - Where I can get a PG 13.5 Gut thread ring gage calibrated? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
T In-house Calibration Procedures in our FAA Approved Repair Station Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 11
BradM Certificate for In-House Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 25
K What is the difference between in house calibration and verification? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
A Auditor has rejected our in-house gage verification - Calibration in 17025:2005 ISO 17025 related Discussions 21
J In-House Calibration Certificate wording - Confidence Level or Level of Confidence? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
B In-House Calibration form needed Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
J Using Outside Accredited Calibration Laboratories vs. In-house Calibrations General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
C In-House Particle Counter Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
C Calibration Outsourcing vs. In House Calibration - Outrageous Costs of Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 28
R In-house Calibration and still maintain my "we do not have a lab" status? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
J In-house calibration - Resource for calibration, adjustment of calipers, indicators General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2