In House Calibration - Templates, generic forms (Word .doc or Excel .xls) or ideas

A

AviGeva

Hello there,
I am thinking of going into in house calibration for clippers, micrometers etc.
I believe that it will save som emoney to the company.
I wonder if some one could help me and email me tamplates, generic forms (Word or Excel) or ideas how these procedures should contain and look like.

Thanks a lot

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
K

Ken K

I looked over the calibration procedure referenced in Al's post, and I would like to address what I feel could be a real problem.
The first step mentioned is to clean the gage. If the gage was out on the floor, used to check outgoing goods, I would want to know if that gage was within tolerance before I would do anything to it.
My first step would be to try to calibrate it before proceeding. That way, if a problem is found, you know it was that way when it came off the floor.
I think this is critical. Then proceed to clean, examine and calibrate.

Just my thoughts.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
You are 100% correct. I posted the link to that 'old dog' text for, as I noted, some ideas only.

I'm not a dedicated cal person. But if it was me, I'd do checks immediately. Once you clean it you've changed it. I agree with you, Ken. Your point is well made and appreciated.

Then I'd clean it and check again and go from there. Just as you suggest.

I again want to point out I am not a calibration professional - I do not work in a lab - this is only my opinion. The text I linked in Al's message above is ONLY for some ideas.

R

Ryan Wilde

Ken,

If the gage was used to check outgoing goods, and is filthy, I would call my quality manager to show him what people are using for acceptance testing. I would then note it, and clean it (not a thorough cleaning, but a good wipe-down that the person that uses the tool should ALREADY be doing).

Reasoning - Gage blocks are used to calibrate these items. Contaminants such as machine oil laced with metal shavings ruin gage blocks, and the water-based machining coolants rust blocks in under an hour. I would not allow a filthy tool near traceable calibration gauges. Or, possibly the budget for the $2500 gage block set could come from the outgoing inspection activity.

I would chase the problem from the other end, and find out why the people that use the tool do not feel it is necessary to keep it in useable condition.

Just my opinion,

Ryan

K

Ken K

Point well taken Ryan. But what if the instrument is not filthy, but was dropped or knocked out of tolerance at some point before calibration? I still want to check calibration before anything else.
Afterall, the $2500.00 for gage blocks could be minute compared to what already went out the door.
The Firestone deal comes to mind.

R

Ryan Wilde

I agree with you Ken. Damage or out of tolerance conditions must be checked and documented prior to any adjustment.

But cleanliness is not a characteristic of the instrument, merely a preventive measure that should be performed often that does not affect the true accuracy of the instrument. I've been to companies that require instruments to be wiped clean before each use, and oddly enough, their instruments lasted much longer and held tolerance very nicely.

As far as the importance of cleanliness and checking outgoing product, how important is it if you are measuring the product with 0.003" of error added?

Ryan

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L In house calibration - Our CMM's are outside certified can I use them to certify our standards General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
Ed Panek ISOTECH TTI-10 found out of calibration - Calibration house was wrong? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
H In-house device calibration record - Actual values obtained required? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
T In house Calibration? Measurement equipment traceability requirements - ISO9001 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
G In-House Calibration of Gas Flow Meters General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
4 In-House Thread Wire Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
C ISO17025 for In-House Calibration Labs: Is it required? ISO 17025 related Discussions 30
A Is NIST traceability required if a Refractometer calibration is done in-house? Calibration Frequency (Interval) 6
D Measurable objectives for our in-house calibration department General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
M In house Volt Meter Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
N ISO 17025 Requirements for Environmental Conditions for In-House Calibration ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
W Force Calibration - In-House Load Cell Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
M Looking for a copy or template of a In House Calibration Report for a Dial Indicator General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
C Flow Meter Calibration - Outside Calibration Service vs. In-House Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
S Using Prepared In-House Reference Materials (RM) for Equipment Calibration & Verifica General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
S In-House Equipment Calibration Report Format & Template Example Needed Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
1 Pharma Industry stance on ISO 17025 Accreditation - In-House Calibration Laboratories ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
T Reference Spectrum Generator for In-House Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
G OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) Calibration of In-House Measurement Equipment General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 18
F Temperature Requirements for an In-House Calibration Laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
T In-House Calibration of Thread Plugs/Rings to achieve a 4:1 Ratio Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 4
R In-House Calibration Facility Requirements - Setting up a new in-house laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
B In-House pH Meter Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13
B Developing In-House Calibration Capacities General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
E Gauge Block Grade recommended use for in house calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
C Setting up Pressure Calibration In-House Lab General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
J In-House Calibration Requirements - Use of Grade 2 set of gage blocks General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
D TS 16949 In-House Calibration Requirements - Certification Required? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 26
T In-House Calibration - Digital Micrometer found Out of Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
R Self (In-House) Calibration of Measuring Tools (vernier, micrometers etc.) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 17
D Calibration vs. Verification - Can we calibrate dial indicators in-house? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
ScottK Soliciting recommendations for a fast turnaround calibration house - Mass Flow Meter Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
M Gage Block In-House Calibration - Blocks lost and users keep exchanging blocks General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
V Is permission from Registrar needed for deciding on in-house calibration? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
H In-house Calibration - Verniers using gauge blocks General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
J Thread Gage Calibration: In-House or Outsourced? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
E Can anyone recommend a good/inexpensive calibration house? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
S Calibration System was In-House now Outside (External Service Provider) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 14
U Calibration House - Where I can get a PG 13.5 Gut thread ring gage calibrated? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
T In-house Calibration Procedures in our FAA Approved Repair Station Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 11
BradM Certificate for In-House Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 25
K What is the difference between in house calibration and verification? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
A Auditor has rejected our in-house gage verification - Calibration in 17025:2005 ISO 17025 related Discussions 21
J In-House Calibration Certificate wording - Confidence Level or Level of Confidence? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
B In-House Calibration form needed Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
J Using Outside Accredited Calibration Laboratories vs. In-house Calibrations General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
C In-House Particle Counter Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
C Calibration Outsourcing vs. In House Calibration - Outrageous Costs of Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 28
R In-house Calibration and still maintain my "we do not have a lab" status? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
J In-house calibration - Resource for calibration, adjustment of calipers, indicators General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2