In-Line Inspection Training

Eximius2286

Starting to get Involved
Hey Elsmar Folks,

I wanted to see if anyone might have suggestions for putting together a training that teaches build operators the in-line inspection methodology. I'd like to perform an exercise with the team, something that will help illustrate and drive the benefits of inspecting each other work in-line.

Anyone out there have any suggestions?

Kurt Smith

Starting to get Involved
It might help if you can share some more details about the work being done.

Is this going to be training you give to 1 or 2 people at a time? Or given to 50 people at a standup? Do you have a standard operating procedure for in-line inspection already or do you need to produce one? Are your inspectors doing in depth GD&T work or simply looking for cosmetic defects? How much time do you want to spend on training?

There is a lot of range to your question. So it's tough to point you in the right direction.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
Kurt has some good questions you should answer…

Basically ‘in-line inspection’ is fairly simple but you need to do some pre-work. Mostly identify the places you want each ‘station’ or step in the process to inspect. A simple drawing with arrows or circles hung at the station is all you need. OF course this works best when each step is fairly short no more than 2 minutes or at take time. The less they have to look for the more likely they will do it

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
Yeah - in order to tap the real experience here we need to know more details about what you're making and what needs to be inspected. Chances are someone here has done what you're doing or something very similar.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin

Eximius2286

Starting to get Involved
It might help if you can share some more details about the work being done.

Is this going to be training you give to 1 or 2 people at a time? Or given to 50 people at a standup? Do you have a standard operating procedure for in-line inspection already or do you need to produce one? Are your inspectors doing in depth GD&T work or simply looking for cosmetic defects? How much time do you want to spend on training?

There is a lot of range to your question. So it's tough to point you in the right direction.

To clarify, I'm looking to train our assemblers & operators how to check the previous persons work as well as their own work. I'm not entirely sure if "in-line inspection" would be the right term for this.

For some background information, we work in a high mix - low volume environment. We are a contract manufacturer. Our order volumes are typically less than 50 pieces, with generally no more than 1 hour to a 1 1/2 hours' worth of labor associated with each piece. It's uncommon for an operator to work on the same assembly for more than a day.

The training is going to be small group training, I'm targeting no more than 10 employees at a time. There is not SOP for in-line inspection at this time, we need to produce one.

I hope this clarifies, let me know if you need more details.

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Super Moderator
A good starting point, often over-looked is to baseline the operators (as required, dictated by your products and associated processes) in the following:
-vision
-color acuity
-metrology skills
-etc??

Hope this helps,
optomist1

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
let me know if you need more details.
Downstream verification of work by line assemblers, in my experience, is much less effective than operator self-verification (assuming the organization has a healthy culture towards workmanship and accountability).

If the operator has been made competent for the work at hand and has the resources they need, they have the best possible seat in the house to flag suspect and nonconforming parts.

Kurt Smith

Starting to get Involved
To clarify, I'm looking to train our assemblers & operators how to check the previous persons work as well as their own work. I'm not entirely sure if "in-line inspection" would be the right term for this.

For some background information, we work in a high mix - low volume environment. We are a contract manufacturer. Our order volumes are typically less than 50 pieces, with generally no more than 1 hour to a 1 1/2 hours' worth of labor associated with each piece. It's uncommon for an operator to work on the same assembly for more than a day.

The training is going to be small group training, I'm targeting no more than 10 employees at a time. There is not SOP for in-line inspection at this time, we need to produce one.

I hope this clarifies, let me know if you need more details.
I would recommend focusing on print reading and providing examples of your most common occurring defects. By the sound of it I imagine you are at a larger manufacturer than I work at, but the work sounds very similar. Our biggest issue is with employees understanding third angle projection drawings and getting parts made backwards. So I am looking into training on print reading.

But in the end your training will most likely need to be tailored to your common defects. If you will be presenting this training off of the work floor, check out the resources tab. Lots of people have posted slide shows for other presentations here. You might find some inspiration or examples there.

Top Bottom