In Need of Safety Advice - Design and build of a safety program

Q

QualityJedi

Greetings and Salutations,

Recently, my company has chartered me with the design and build of a safety program. Does any one know if there are any recognized standards and which one(s) would closely relate to the current OSHA standards.

I was thinking along the lines of OSHAS18000 / ANSI Z10 / ISO14000?

Help!

:bonk:

C

cncmarine

OSHA Standards for General Industry- (29 CFR PART 1910)
For your safety system

ISO 14000= Environmental Management System

Q

QualityJedi

Additional Info

Thanks CNCMarine!

Just to add some information. What I'm really looking for is an ISO type system that can be audited and certified by a third party.

L

little__cee

www.osha.gov

If you check out www.osha.gov I believe there is a program where you can volunteer to have OSHA come in as your "partner" and inspect you.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
QualityJedi said:
Thanks CNCMarine!

Just to add some information. What I'm really looking for is an ISO type system that can be audited and certified by a third party.
Check this nice presentation by a competitor: Understanding OHSAS 18001:1999 and ANSI Z-10

At this time, in the US, there are no Accreditation Schemes for either the OHSAS 18001 Specification or the ANSI Z10 Document, but many registrars can certify you to OHSAS 18001.

And, if my memory serves me, Randy had a nice exchange with a guy about the Z10 vs OHSAS 18001 in the last ASSE Conference.

Q

QualityJedi

Maybe I'm paraniod, but isn't having OSHA "partner" with your safety program kinda like having the IRS partner with your Schwab account. Kinda seems like having "Big Brother" over for dinner.

ME-----OSHA
:biglaugh: :whip:

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
QualityJedi said:
Maybe I'm paraniod, but isn't having OSHA "partner" with your safety program kinda like having the IRS partner with your Schwab account. Kinda seems like having "Big Brother" over for dinner.

ME-----OSHA
No more than I see the Fire Marshall who comes through to check us out as an adversary or "big brother." Our Fire Marshall even had a library of safety films we could borrow for training purposes. Lots of posters and pamphlets, too. Plus, you could be certain he wasn't hyping the problems to increase his consulting fees.

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Trusted Information Resource
QualityJedi said:

ME-----OSHA

The last three divisions that I worked for all went through the OSHA Partnership. It was incredibly helpful, and ensured that we were using our resources where they needed to be used. No guesswork, we got comprehensive feedback on what needed to be addressed and did not (as is often worried about) trigger any "surprise" inspections when possible violations were identified. As long as you truly want a good system, this is the way to go, IMHO. There are companies out there that probably wouldn't want to do this, but those are the ones who would rather be fined than do the right thing. Who better to asses that you are compliant to OSHA regs than the people that enforce them? Good luck!

Top Bottom